Roger Daltrey vs. Eric Burdon vs. Robert Plant *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Incapable of debate so you resort to weak attempts at schoolyard insults.

Way to go there champ. :righton:

The Trinity likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

I think Jimmy Page knew exactly what he was looking for when he saw Plant sing in Hobstweedle. Page quoted " When I auditioned him and heard him sing, I immediately thought there must be something wrong with him personality-wise or that he had to be impossible to work with, because I just could not understand why, after he told me he'd been singing for a few years already, he hadn't become a big name yet. So I had him down to my place for a little while, just to sort of check him out, and we got along great. No problems."

3. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Daltrey was the first to go solo vs Plant and Jagger, and like the other two, his solo work throughout the '70s
    and into the '80s was him sounding like Daltrey solo and not Daltrey in The Who. He didn't sound like he
    was in the until Free Me in 1980 and Under A Raging Moon in 1985....

A lot of Zeppelin and Stones fans aren't even aware of his solo material, and many newer Who fans are in the
    same boat as well...

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

That doesn't change anything I wrote, but I'll add that I wish Jimmy had been looking for something else, then, as maybe I'd enjoy Zeppelin more. I think the answer to Jimmy's question was that Robert hadn't yet found a band so good that his ear piercing vocals weren't a dealbreaker. :p I've heard he's a great guy (a buddy of mine toured with him and was treated--along with the rest of the band--wonderfully), so I'm thrilled he got to where he is but, in the context of this thread, he's a very distant third for me. -E

5. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

Please, tell me you're playing obtuse simply for the sake of trying to be funny.

6. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

I'll go with Roger, cause he sings from his heart.

7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Wow, surprising. I thought Eric Burdon was about 5'6 and Daltrey was around 5'9.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I've met Eric, and I think 5'7" is probably a generous measurement. Roger does look to be smaller than 5'9" tho. Keith Moon was 5'9"
    [​IMG]

9. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Springsteen was influenced by the Animals and Burdon...

“For some they were just another beat group but for me they were a revelation, the first records with full blown class consciousness that I'd ever heard.”

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  10. Roli

Roli Forum Resident

Eric Burdon

11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Not to me, but you are welcome to your choices. To my ears, Paul and Steve were/are great singers but neither of those guys guys sounded like they had lived a long hard life and had lived the blues like Eric did. I listen to Eric singing "Boom Boom" or "I'm Crying" or " Gonna Send You Back To Walker" and I have trouble realizing that it was 23 year old English guy. I can listen to Steve and Paul and although they were/are fantastic singers , I don't have trouble visualizing them as young English guys. :D

And, as I mentioned in my original post, I said pre Led Zeppelin, and although technically they do make that cut,much of their success came after Zeppelin was on the scene.

But, Rodgers and Marriott aren't poll choices anyway.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    dino77 likes this.
  12. LuLu Reed

LuLu Reed Well-Known Member

I voted Roger. Pointless poll though.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Ian Gillan. Or Paul Rogers. They are miles (or kilometers) ahead of the given options.

zen likes this.
  14. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm sure that doesn't change anything you wrote! But it does not matter Jimmy Page picked the right guy for the job, which made Led Zeppelin sell 300 million records and the biggest band of the 70s. So what you wrote means nothing in the big picture.

The Trinity likes this.
  15. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

You're right! Why, oh why, did I respond to this thread? My contribtuons here mean nothing in the big picture! -E

old school likes this.
  16. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

Some counties in the province of Ulster (e.g., Donegal, Cavan, and Monaghan) are part of the Irish Republic.

17. True, but Belfast certainly isn't.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I didn't read the whole thread and voted for Daltrey based on the choices advanced. Ian Gillan buries them all with miles of dirt, rock and schist.

zen likes this.
  19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Eric Burdon

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

73 YEARS old..................... he name drops John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He sings better here. (Crazy keyboard player)

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

last one from Germany 1976, kicks butt.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Daltrey for me.

Plant is good but sometimes annoys me.

Eric Burdon is not an artist I even listen to, only vaguely familiar with him so not fair to judge, but he never impressed me as any kind of great vocalist or in the same league as Daltrey or Plant. I would include someone like say Paul Rodgers, Ian Gillan, Steve Marriott, guys like that, in that conversation though.

zen likes this.
  24. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Daltrey for me. Who are those other guys anyway... :whistle:

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I feel Plant is definitely the most varied. When I saw the thread, "Big Log" started going through my head. So mellow, compared to him screaming out "Immigrant Song" or such.

I really wish they would do a Zeppelin tour, and it really annoys me he won't, but I must respect his desire to stay creative doing fresh new stuff. AND it seems to be working rather well for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.