McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

"Exorcise my demons, cast them out today,
    Only you can do it, make them go away."

theMess likes this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But we really need a feature-length film of it.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There's even a MOVIE for the cube!

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Ah, the colorful New cube. Yes, I managed to secure mine last October when the CD came out, at FYE. I really love that little box.

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Try and get it autograohed

6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Anyway ... so what else is there to say about the NEW album? Does anyone think Paul's got a chance for a Grammy for it?

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The more I hear Hell To Pay, the more I love it!

Love the musical punch the song has, should of been on the album.

Demons Dance just doesn't do anything for me, not a bad song, it just doesn't grab me the way Hell To Pay does.

Hell To Pay, wakes my ears up and makes me listen.

Isejingu, Peter Pyle and jammincrowe like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

So you think Hell to pay rocks?

supermd and Yorick like this.
  9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Definitely!

theMess likes this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

21,831 or so posts later...not much really. :D

theMess and Dr. Pepper like this.
  11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Bemagnus, I wouldn't say Hell To Pay rocks, but I like the agressiveness of the song.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I'm liking the new New songs. "Hell To Pay" sounds kind of like something from Back To The Egg. "Demon's Dance" has Paul's upbeat "Martha My Dear"-style piano playing, and sounds a little more organic than the other New songs. Not sure I'd prefer they made the original album over any of the other songs. It just seems like Paul had a good batch from which to select.

New is going to be a tricky album in Paul's catalog. It's very contemporary sounding, and whether it holds up will largely depend on factors outside of the album's merits. If modern production sort of moves on from where it is today, then the album will hold up. If production tastes move toward more organic sounds again, the album will suffer.

New is Paul's updated Press To Play. PTP got great reviews when it was released. It was a risky move for Paul to go some contemporary (for 1986). He got good notices in the short run, but when the eighties sound was tossed aside a few years later, the album's reputation tanked. If Paul had produced PTP in the style of Flaming Pie, it would be a career highlight. But modern day reviews would have criticized the album for being retro and leaning on past glories.

New was another risk. We'll see how it plays out.

Hep Alien, theMess, heatherly and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Interesting that you say that, Chief. I suggested that it was similar to Press To Play in that regard some time ago, and pondered much the same thing. That perspective gained very little support as folks were so enamoured of New (and, of course, PTP has far fewer fans).

I gave PTP a spin yesterday and loved it and, yes, I do see similarities: McCartney was using the latest sound then, just as he has now. That said, I think all albums' reviews are determined to some extent by the foibles of whatever is in vogue. Even classic albums like Band On The Run will be derided in some quarters for sounding too much like mid-70's "classic rock".

theMess, Shak Cohen and Dr. Pepper like this.
  14. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I love at the end, just as the gate is closing, someone yells out to Nancy 'Take the rest of his money!!' ouch :)

Frank likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The big difference between PTP and NEW I believe is the quality of the songwriting . That part was IMO the biggest Let down of Press to play.
    I don t think its possible to now forsee whats people will enjoy in the future. However I personally think the sound- preferenced if the eighties still sort of stand out in its uglinesss -I like some of it thoughbut unfortunateky not Press to play.

Really don t think the sound is the most important if music lives on or not. It s the songs. A record can have a very dated sound but if the songs are good people still listen.

heatherly and Dr. Pepper like this.
  16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I agree with the sentiment and, of course, the quality of the songs is subjective. Personally, I think that Good Times Coming, Footprints and Only Love Remains are excellent songs. Not necessarily enough to hang an album on but, for my money, a better collection than the best of Wild Life, which seems to be well-liked as much for its sound and production aesthetic as for the quality of the songs.

I certainly think that Press To Play relied a lot on production to make average songs work well but, if I'm honest, I'd say one could level a similar argument at Sgt Pepper. I mean, Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite, When I'm 64 and Lovely Rita aren't the greatest songs in the world but they're dolled up perfectly as part of a production masterclass which is, well, very 1967. But, of course, being "very 1967" is great if that happened to be part of "your era", in the same way that Press To Play being "very 1986" is great if it happened to be part of "your era" (which, in my case, it was).

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are a few songs I like from Oress to Play- even more so in their first recordmed forms- Press, Foot-prints , Feel -the sun(first version) and Only love remains are good. IMO not as good as Dear Friend, Some People never know and Tomoroow from Wild Life. But its a matter if personal taste

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I didn't like PRESS TO PLAY in 1986, and I still don't like it after many plays today. I place it way down on the list of Paul's best albums -- yet I love NEW, and place it in Paul's TOP FIVE. So I don't see PTP as sounding anything like NEW. I agree with you that it's about the songs. The songs were just not there on PTP.

19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thank you. The Japanese edition costs $40 more than the US version, so it's a relief to hear there's no good reason to spend that extra cash.

20. bward

bward Senior Member

Good news and bad news as I just picked up the new version of New.

I couldn't get out day of release, but visited the Norwood Newbury Comics and a Best Buy, and could not find it the day after.

Finally, today (Saturday) tried again at Bellingham Newbs.
    Could not find it. Plenty of Beatles and Zep stuff no, McNew.

So I did what I hate to do most, I asked a clerk. She said the store only got one copy and it sold. One copy. Let that sink in.

Then she checked the DVD section, and there it was. Not in new releases, box sets, or the McCartney section, but the DVD area.

Good news: price was $25.99.

I guess if you want this version of New, you might want to grab/order it. At least one major music retailer, it seems, is not ordering many copies of it.

Of course this is just my anecdotal story. Others may see stacks of them somewhere.

Ok, off to see what all the fuss is all about with Hell To Pay, and hoping Demons Dance is better than what some are saying. I've resisted all the samples. Hard to believe but true!

Maybe I'll chime in with thoughts on those later.

PS: on the chalk board of what's coming out on release day...No mention of Venus and Mars or Speed of Sound. Dylan is there, though.
    For what it's worth...

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

One copy doesn t sound all that much- but with tha already sold and some posters been buying the set it might at least sell 2o cookies. Not bad

22. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

i HATE those new 'new' songs..[hell to pay,demons dance] both quite rightly left off the album..for once pauls team have got the squad list right after decades of cocking it up.

linclink and applebonkerz like this.
  23. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Since Dr. Pepper has given his permission...

What I noticed most about that "fatso" video is how Paul keeps forging ahead - as if not giving Nancy a thought. He doesn't turn to her, hold her by the arm - or hand.. at times she seems on the verge of losing the battle of even keeping up with him.

applebonkerz likes this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Now that I've heard 'Hell To Pay' three times, I don't mind it as much but am still not really liking it. (Yet?) I don't mind the first bit and how it's going, but when he gets into the change in tune in the middle (when he goes into the "hell to pay" part), that's when any chance of 'rockin' gets lame.

25. No not a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.