Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I wasn't comparing the two, my point was about what's entry level budget for most people (in the UK at least). £579 is into the next level and not what we'd typically call "budget" I'd suggest.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

But you have to be fair. A USB stick DAC is not the same category as a rack mountable unit that does 192/DSD, fixed or variable output, remote, and linear power supply.

Maybe you can use the Musical Fidelity V90 or Peachtree stuff etc, but again, those just don't have the same features.

3. ServingTheMusic

If you really want fair comparisons, the iFI Micro iDSD is a fair one. With the iUSB (Which I feel is mandatory, the Marantz has good competition.

As a matter of fact, these two are going to be my "go to" sub $100 DAC recommendations, depending on sources.

DBMethos likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Again, I wasn't comparing. It was your thread title that referred to a budget DAC from Marantz, which for the price sits outwith what we'd typically call entry level irrespective of what it comes with.

The point about referring to the Dragonfly was that it occupies that price point we'd consider entry level. As do its competitors really.

5. ServingTheMusic

I understand what you are saying, but the Dragonfly is a one trick pony. It has a very limited use and is considered portable, so IMO should not be considered
    an entry level product. Price alone does not determine market segment.

6. Brother_Rael

Beg to differ. It's a tad more than a one trick pony; on release a couple of years back, it introduced a 24-bit ESS Sabre DAC, not usually found in products at that price point, it also came with a more than decent Burr-Brown headphone amp, oh and yes, you could put it in your pocket and cart it round as well as use it into your stereo. So it's a tad more than just a bit of plastic.

By contrast, my first standalone DAC, Firestone Audio's Spitfire II was a 24/96 unit, had coax, optical and RCA connectivity, but no headphone amp. At £250, it was a great starter unit. It offered less than the Dragonfly though and wasn't as flexible so probably isn't entry level either.

No, of course it is, as is the Dragonfly. That it's portable is neither here nor there. So's my phone, so's my iPod Touch and both can stream WAV files to my amp. Just as good, just as high quality and all just as valid. This just shows how the landscape has changed and how slow the wider community is to catch up on how audio and audio hardware has been transformed in the last five years.

EDIT: And no offence - I'm sure that the Marantz is a great product, it's just not an entry level one. If I was in the market for one, it's be on my list. Marantz make great gear and I've had a few of their products over the years (currently using their UD-7007 universal player). As it is though, my digital needs are covered by my amp, my Apple TV and the aforesaid UD7007.

7. ServingTheMusic

Fair enough. We disagree on what constitutes entry level. But make no mistake, I have been listening to the Marantz for two days and is REALLY good. Even with a USB stick playing AAC files.

Let's also not forget it does every known resolution, and can drive just about any headphone.

8. Brother_Rael

I don't doubt the capabilities of the Marantz. I've been using their products for over twenty years.

9. ServingTheMusic

I have had about 15 of their products in over the past few years...this one really stands out...Considering price and feature set...long with the 14s1 Sacd player/DAC.

10. Brother_Rael

Yep, they make good gear, always have. Their pedigree is good for me. I had the option of the Pearl amp and CD player a while back, but the amp is integrated only and the CD player I have covered (AVI Lab Series). There comes a time to put a brake on the upgrade cycle and accept that the performance is pretty damn good where it's at!

moops likes this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

I hear ya!!!!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  12. As I would expect it to. One is a $150 entry level product, the other is $799.

13. I think we can agree that the Marantz is an outstanding performer and a great value. I'll leave it at that.

14. How would one characterize this DAC's sound? Sweet, dry, warm- what?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That component looks really nice. I'd love to see Marantz make an SACD/CD player like it.

16. KeithH

DAC technology/implementation improves over time. Some older CD players can serve as good transports when paired with a quality DAC and could be better for some folks than a new player.

17. ServingTheMusic

They do. SA8005.

18. KeithH

But no wood side panels.

19. ServingTheMusic

Nope. Now that would cool!

ellingtonic likes this.
  20. KeithH

I like the look of Marantz components over the past ten years or so, but that DAC is really nice due to the wood side panels. Classy.

21. ServingTheMusic

I agree. I was surprised when I received the press release and saw the design and absolutely delighted when I received the sample.

The build is over the top for the price and it sounds just terrific, more importantly.

22. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Music Direct has these in stock and still has a 4-6 week order fulfillment for an iFi iDSD Micro. Lobster or cracked crab? Perhaps I should just get both. :evil:

23. The round "porthole" display reminds me of Shanling electronics.

24. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

well I received mine yesterday, and although I'll reserve judgement until it's got some more hours on it, initial impressions are excellent. If this is now the quality level you can obtain for this little money, the high end DAC makers must be looking over their shoulders slightly fearfully! I only own one DSD lp as yet (Stockholm Guitar Quartet), but that sounds absolutely sublime! I'll update once it's run in properly (or my ears have, I've never been 100% convinced by the running in idea), but for now, I'm a happy camper :)

25. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.