Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I do have a Smetana & Janáček (no. 2) vinyl on Heliodor.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I do as well, having previously owned them on Columbia (not Epic) as a box set. My introduction to 1-4. I already had 5 by Rubinstein/Leinsdorf.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No, I only have that Chopin, "Gold Seal" RCA box. I doubt I will get the big Rubinstein box since I am not an extreme pianophile like you, even though I do have many piano recordings, perhaps a distant second to you ...

4. coopmv

I should re-listen to the CD to see if it is really that bad. I have always liked Zimerman's interpretation of Chopin ...

5. coopmv

I have the entire cycle by Roy Goodman and the Hanover Band, which is one of the three HIP Beethoven cycles in my collection. IIRC, Roy Goodman was a violinist either with the AAM or ASMIF, both of which had spun off many alumni who went on to found other ensembles. Again, I am somewhat lukewarm toward HIP Beethoven Symphonies ...

6. coopmv

Was Mercury a sister label to Philips?

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

That was a good move on the company's part. The old-style bias belted sound was always so tiresome!

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this George. I just ordered this Rubenstein Mazurka set. I don't mind mono recordings at all, especially solo piano. Last night I enjoyed this near mint condition used vol. 29:
    [​IMG]
    Lots of humor here. I imagine nineteenth century salon audiences were quite amused by these flights of fancy.
    I'm going to compare Zimerman's Fantasie with Rubinstein's later. Any thoughts on Rubinstein's?

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

YES!!! (he cries, pumping fist). The very first Mahler symphony "complete" on record was the 2d, recorded in 1923 or 1924 by Oskar Fried by the acoustic method, meaning the orchestra couldn't have numbered more than maybe 25 musicians, and the music was in a "special arrangement" to register on the equipment then available, viz. horn and diaphragm. What goes around comes around!

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

This reminded me of your post back in #51. An acoustic recording in progress:

[​IMG]

Mik, Robin L, SBurke and 2 others like this.
  12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

"DA BOMB" is a compliment.

John S likes this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I've been surveying the 5ths I own over the last few days. An enjoyable task since it's my favorite symphony. Of the HIP versions, the Hanover Band is certainly a contender. I don't have the box set, just the single CD. Monica Huggett, who worked with the AAM and the English Concert among others, is listed as co-director with Goodman.

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I haven't compared Rubinstein's, but I will compare some of my recordings (Cortot, Moravec, etc) of that work later, along with Rubinstein.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Despite a rather silly title and weird cover, this is a fantastic recording. I mainly bought it for Nicholas Maw's "Music of Memory," a 20-minute tour-de-force based on a Mendelssohn String Quartet melody, but all of the pieces are played in a commanding style and superbly recorded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. John S

John S Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

18. coopmv

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Here's a video of "Music of Memory":

His music can be a little thorny but also rewarding. I also recommend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Mik, bluemooze and John S like this.
  20. coopmv

Now playing LP1 from the following box from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Mendelssohn collection. I remember I was very impressed with the SQ of this early digital recording on LP ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

During an interview last year, Pope Francis cited Puccini's "Turandot" to illustrate a point; in response, his interviewer asked him about literature and music, and here's what he had to say about the latter:

The full interview is here: http://americamagazine.org/pope-interview

Pretty cool, huh? We can't discuss religion or the church of course. But the pope not only has good taste, he also has opinions about specific recordings!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    John S, bluemooze and john greenwood like this.
  23. coopmv

Speaking of the Pope and conductor ...

[​IMG]

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Motets" performed by Cantus Colln directed by Konrad Junghanel from the "DHM 50th Anniversary Edition" box set.

Six Motets BWV 225-230.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  25. coopmv

Back to CD and time for some long neglected early baroque works. Now playing the following CD from my Charpentier collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.