New Spoon album "They Want My Soul" out August 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Actually, you were supposed to get the 10" as a 'gift' if you pre-ordered the new album at local indie shops, but it seems your shop was just giving away leftover copies with the purchase of the album. The initial idea was to give loyal fans something of a special prequel while waiting for They Want My Soul to drop - hence "Vinyl Gratifucation", instead of instant gratification. It was never meant to be traded back in, though.

I'll have to A/B mine again, but I don't recall their being a distinct difference in sound. Could just be the difference between them being cut at 45 and 33 rpm.

2. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Yeah, check it out. I just did a pre-beer A/B and there's definitely a difference. Maybe it's just the speed, but the 45 jumps out of the speakers differently, sharper, crisper, more punch, etc. I'd be curious to hear what others think. Perhaps someone with a more revealing system and a more experienced ear than myself.

3. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I picked this up in Europe today. Was delighted to find the CD and it's on clear vinyl. Third consecutive Spoon vinyl I have purchased. :)

4. Well, this is a good review for the sound of the album...on cans! Through my Sennheiser HD800s my ears were screaming at me to turn this thing off.

I don't have home speakers anymore, so I don't know how the album sounds that way, but in my car? Have you tried it in your ride?

It sounds much, much better in my car...which is the only way I listen to it.

It's still my album of the year so far. Yes, it is a shame that I can't listen to it on my cans; one shouldn't be forced into corner while listening ANY album; still, the songs are sublime. I'm glad I'm here.

IanL likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's a pretty heavily compressed 21st century alt rock sound, even on vinyl. But it sounds right to me. The melodies cut right through anyway.

Rocketdog and IanL like this.
  6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Well, I did notice a slight difference when comparing them, but as I originally suspected, I think it's the difference between being cut at 45 and 33 1/3 rpm. With 45, you're grooves are much wider, which can lead to better overall tracking and sound quality. I'm sure there's a thread on the sonic difference between the two speeds that could be searched out somewhere on the forums, which would go into far more detail.

Henry Please likes this.
  7. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

+1 with the love for the EU pressing of this. I'm usually scepitcal about coloured / clear vinyl, but thi is one of the most perfect pressings I've bought in a while.

crispi likes this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

9. amoergosum

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the link. IMO, this is Spoon at it's best! I love the discordant piano piece thrown in for kicks. And Brit Daniel sounds as good as he did on my favourite Everything Hits at Once.

11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Seems it's time for the live Spoon album... that is how good/tight they are sounding now.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Forum Resident

I've never been a fan of live albums, but this is one band I would love to see live. I'm guessing you've had the pleasure?

13. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Saw/heard Spoon twice in the last week, and have seen them play periodically over the last 12 years or more. They seem a much "warmer" band now to me than they used to be, esp. with regard to singer/guitarist Britt Daniel and the way he connects with the audience.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Forum Resident

Interesting to have seen them often enough to make that observation. It always seemed to me that in the early days of indie music, the bands seemed a little embarrassed by the attention from the fans. Like showing enthusiasm on stage was uncool, and there was the ever-present threat that becoming too popular would destroy their "indie cred".

15. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Picked up the album today on regular black vinyl, I guess the ltd clear edition is now sold out in Europe. I had been listening on Spotify Premium and was hoping the vinyl edition would improve the sound. I guess I was hoping for a miracle!

16. amoergosum

I'm gonna see Spoon for the first time live this Sunday...I'm excited!

And how about this supporting act...I'm digging this song >>>

17. amoergosum

crispi likes this.
  18. amoergosum

19. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Really a great album.

To my ears, the best one by the Spoon: honestly I never was a Spoon fan because of their "soft-pop" sound, but this album really sounds more "indie-rock" for my tastes; beautiful songs and mastering-job, too.

Album of the year, along with the one by Swans.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Soft pop?

crispi, katstep and manicpopthrill like this.
  21. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That was awesome.

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you have a chance, see them live...hope they bring along a horn section too....never a bad song played, they have a very large catalog of great material which translates great to a live format.

snowbunny likes this.
  24. Stefano G.

I think they never came to play in Italy, but I'm not 100% sure...

25. Stefano G.

I think there is a stylistic difference between this album and the previous ones: maybe I used the wrong words and I could not give a good idea of what I meant; frankly, the previous albums have a sound less "indie-rock"; however, their style so far has been very successful (maybe not here in Italy) and I wish them to have as much success with this album.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.