Crime of the Century: A&M CD vs. MFSL CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

The MFSL CD of Crime of the Century has been given nearly unanimous praise on this forum, but is it really the best digital version...? Maybe I'm just being obsessive, but I was never really satisfied with the sound of this one. Recently I've been comparing the MFSL against the original A&M CD (released in 1990 and labeled as Audio Master Plus). To my surprise I discovered that my preference is leaning more towards the A&M CD, although I'm not sure why exactly. I realize that the MoFi is more dynamic than all other versions, which makes it harder to do a fair comparison, such as identifying differences in EQ. Anyone else have thoughts to share on the subject?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I really enjoy the MFSL version, but like what you like and don't worry about what other people think.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

well, I've got BOTH, the A&M "AM+" pressing and the MFSL, so you all can say whatever you want, as I'm covered!

Wait ..., what's that ..., you say that there is a SHM-SACD version coming soon? Damn it, I have to buy it again, as I'm sure that you will all like it better?

Seriously, if that SHM-SACD is anywhere as good as I found the SHM-SACD of "Breakfast In America", then all bets are off on any of those older CD pressings!

4. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I agree with the OP. Although the MFSL CD is good, I too prefer the AM+, even though it has slightly less DR than the MFSL. I may get shot down in flames, but the AM+ appeared to offer more all-round detail and listening enjoyment, almost as if it was off a better source. Either way, bettering one or other will be a tall order for future releases. Dare I say, it might benefit from a re-visit to the multi-tracks for greater detail, but that's not in anyone's plans.

tomcat and Lucidae like this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Both are good, but I prefer the MFSL gold disc. It sounds more open to me. The A&M mastering is very good, however, if you don't want to pay for the gold disc.

SinnerSaint, audiomixer and rxcory like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm not convinced that we will ever see the SHM-SACD. It has been "postponed", per CD Japan. With a Blu-Ray disc and Deluxe Edition CD set coming soon, I'm thinking the SHM-SACD (and Platinum SHM-CD) may be canceled.

7. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

There are so many discs in my collection that I wish were as good as either of these. :) I very slightly prefer the MOFI but the AM+ is a stellar bargain and if I hadn't chanced on a decent priced MOFI a while back, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

MFSL used " THE SOURCE " for this Gold CD. I wonder if this full range dynamic tape ever will get used again.

9. Lucidae

Glad I'm not the only one! I also found myself enjoying the A&M CD more.

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

You needED too state wither the MFSL was a Japan UDI or a US UDII & what country the AM+ was pressed [it shouldn't make a diff/butt it usually does/here anyway :p ].

BIG AM+ fan here [SQ/value/historical]; butt, a quick review off the hardrive at the desk shows the MFSL UDI is even 'sweeter' than the AM+. Plus [p.i.] the UDI is a little more laidback as far as the soundstage goes as well. Can certainly hear why the AM+ would be the winner, on say, headphones or on the road tho. i like the AM+; just the more 'reservED' the presentation of this title the better IMO.

Lot's of info here:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tury-even-in-the-quietest-moments-etc.121128/

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Considering what it would cost to get my hands on a MFSL copy, the A&M+ suits me just fine.
    It's still one of the most beautiful sounding CD's in my collection. However, I am looking forward
    to the new versions being issued in December.

On a side-note, I recently found a label variation on the original A&M vinyl that I'd never
    seen before. Instead of "Rudy" being timed at 7:07, this copy has "Rudy" timed at 6:28
    and directly underneath "Rudy", it says "(Rudy-Ending)", timed at :50. I imagine it can't be
    terribly rare since I assume all the copies in that particular run would have the same labels
    but it was new to me after seeing many copies of the LP through the years.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought found a copy of the COTC MFSL Gold CD at a very good price. I've played it several times and I'm kind disappointed with the SQ. The bass is almost non existent but is similar to that of the A&M 393647-2 CD I have. I was expecting the SQ to be on a par with the Breakfast in America SHM-SACD but it's not even close IMO. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Blu-Ray and I hope the SQ is on a par of the BIA SHM-SACD.

Bill

MarceloEduardo likes this.
  13. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I think this is one of the many cases where standard releases get ignored because they are too.. ordinary. Many of them are actually good-to-fantastic and there's even quite a few threads here about great "non-remasters". The Mofi gold CD is probably one of the most loved discs in my collection. Whenever I put it on I end up listening to the entire album and give up on any plans I might have had. I do have the AM+ versions of Crisis and Quietest so if it's anywhere near that caliber it must be a great disc too.

mdm08033 and Lucidae like this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am not a huge Supertramp fan but to me the MFSL Crime Of The Century is one of the best sounding CDs I have with incredible dynamics.

TSWisla, dav-here and SinnerSaint like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm going to have to listen to the COTC MFSL CD again. I honestly didn't find the SQ to be that great. I found it to be flat with hardly any bass impact. Maybe I have a defective or bootleg disc :eek:. After listening to the COTC MFSL the other day I played Traffic's S/T MFSL CD. I found the Traffic disc to have much better SQ with quite a bit more bass impact.

Bill

16. Lucidae

After listening to both these discs a bit more, I've come to the conclusion that neither do this album justice. I'm holding out hope for the deluxe edition.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Posted some graphs in another thread earlier... ;)

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But what are your thoughts on how the COTC MFSL CD sounds?

Bill

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. I was very disappointed when the COTC SHM-SACD was cancelled. I'm hoping the upcoming Blu-ray audio is the definitive digital version (fingers crossed) :).

Bill

Lucidae likes this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.