Metallica 2015 Remasters of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.metallica.com/news/kill-ride-snapshots.asp

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...itions-of-kill-em-all-and-ride-the-lightning/

METALLICA is seeking help from the band's fans while preparing remastered, deluxe editions of their first two albums, 1983's "Kill 'Em All" and 1984's "Ride The Lightning", which they hope to put out in 2015. Anyone who has photos of the group and memorabilia or audio of concerts METALLICA played between 1983 and 1985 is being asked to submit them for possible inclusion in the reissues.

"We want it all," the band wrote on its web site. "Did you manage to sneak a video camera into a show long before they fit in your pocket? Maybe your old instamatic camera for some snapshots? A cassette Walkman with a microphone? We're looking for anything and everything...audio, video, photos, fliers, ticket stubs, the set list you picked up off the floor and in general any mementos you may have from that around that time."

Fans with items of interest, including stories, can e-mail METALLICA at [email protected]. The band added, "By submitting it, you're saying we can use it should your piece of history land on a release (yes, the lawyers made us add this part!)."

Originally issued on July 25, 1983 through the independent label Megaforce Records, "Kill 'Em All" was recorded in two weeks on a miniscule budget in upstate New York. Although only 1,500 copies were initially pressed, the album was reissued by Elektra Records after the band signed to that label in 1984 and has since been certified triple platinum for sales of more than three million copies.

The varied sounds of "Ride The Lightning", which included the first METALLICA ballad in "Fade To Black", drew mixed responses from some fans. The band's drummer, Lars Ulrich, told Rolling Stone magazine: "It did surprise us a little bit, I guess. People started calling us sellouts and all that type of stuff. Some people were a little bit bewildered by the fact that there was a song that had acoustic guitars."

Noting that at least four songs from the album are still part of METALLICA's live set today, Ulrich said that "Ride The Lightning" "holds up very well," adding, "There's kind of a youthful energy that runs through the record."

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of METALLICA's six-time-platinum third album, "Master Of Puppets" — the band's last record with bassist Cliff Burton — in 2016, the group is collaborating with an author named Matt Taylor on a book about the making of the LP.

Taylor, who wrote an acclaimed and extensively detailed book on the making of the movie "Jaws", contacted the band with a proposal to create a definitive history of "Master Of Puppets". The band explained: "When we took a spin through 'Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard', we were so blown away by the presentation, thorough coverage, and attention to detail that went into it, we knew he was the man to help us celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of that release."

The group stated that Taylor "has been very busy doing extensive interviews with all of us, our managers, record company staff, people we hung with then and Cliff's dad Ray," but added, "Matt's plan for the 'Master Of Puppets' book is to lean heavily on amateur, fan-taken photos and stories reflecting the grassroots vibe of the time."

2. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Ok, I really would love well remastered RtL and MoP and my pipedream would be a remixed AJFA with Newsted being offered the opportunity to rerecord his bass parts if a remix doesn't do the trick.

3. Wait... so now they're asking FOR the help of pirates and bootleggers?!

4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I think the Hoffman mastered DCC gold discs of RtL and MoP are fantastic. I can't imagine better versions coming along...

5. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

He shouldn't have to rerecord anything. They can re-amp what is already there and make it sound amazing.

John Bliss and J Vanarsdale like this.
  6. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Sadly I haven't seen affordable copies on sale of those.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Yeah, I had MoP forever but it took me aobut 7 years of on and off looking on eBay to get a reasonable copy of RtL. I think I paid $30 for it.

8. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

You've got something brown on your nose.

I keed, I keed… ;)

I didn't know those existed until just now it makes me want nothing less. My wallet just tightened its sphincter.

9. silver.bullet

silver.bullet Forum Resident

Why would they need a fan's help? As far as i know Lars has every show recorded for himself. And without getting into arguments about DCCs or 1st Presses and etc, i would say we all could use a well done remastering since these are deluxe editions. so it can be more than "just for the bonus".

gregk72 likes this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

You must be a new fan. This is nothing new to them. They did the same thing to get 80% of the footage for the Cliff Em All video. And paid handsomely too.

And spent much of the time trying to convince the holders that they wouldn't be prosecuted.

JonnyKidd, coffeetime and theshape like this.
  11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

12. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Could be very interesting if done right - great albums!

Mr. H likes this.
  13. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

When you start asking for audio and especially video, you're really setting a high bar for expectations with these deluxe editions! We can't know what response they'll get to their request, but if each deluxe edition doesn't have a CD of live stuff and a DVD of live stuff it'll seem disappointing to me. These could be great!

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, if they don't already have some good pro stuff in their archives, this isn't looking good. Anyone know if they still have the original master for No Life till Leather? If they have a source that's better than the boots, I hope they include that. Also, there's the KEA area show seen on Cliff Em All. I hope their archives contains the rest of that in the same quality and will be included in full. I really hope we don't just end of with a hodgepodge of pieces of various different sh1tty audience tapes. I really like Cliff Em All, but I've always hoped one day the better quality clips would be released in full.

And the mastering... Would be great to finally get well done masterings for these albums.

japhyman likes this.
  15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I will remain excited until I read about anyone who is associated with Rick Ruben being involved.

Ride The Lighting: Super Deluxe Edition Death Magneticized

Riccardo2 and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  16. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I would not expect some kind of special DVD to happen at all. There were only a few extremely serious collectors of rare 80's Metallica footage in the pre-internet days, and there wasn't very much to jealously guard when it came to that particular era of the band. Pretty much, there was an agreement of sorts between Cliff's family and the band that no other footage would be released - meaning the full pro shot concerts, not the fan shot footage (and some of that was incredibly difficult to find in complete form for many years).

But perhaps this request will unearth some kind of undiscovered footage from somewhere!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Clanceman and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Link? I've been following Metallica from day one, read almost every single book about the band (including Cliff's biograhy) and have never heard of any such agreement.

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It's not a link kind of thing - comes from the guy who put CEA together... who, as I'm sure you know, is not exactly active in cyberspace. This is decades ago.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope they officially release all the early demos together as bonus tracks for Kill.

steveharris and Mr. H like this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Just don't make this one SO LOUD IT'S UNLISTENABLE and I'm in. But I do not believe that will happen so I, for one, will wait until after they're released to check these out.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Maybe someone can lend them a Bass Guitar when AJFA is rereleased.

Tom34772 and Holy Diver like this.
  22. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

They will probably use the same engineer as on Death Magnetic because the band really liked the sound on that one. Maybe its even possible to take it a little further :D

23. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Hopefully the deluxe editions will be released as an expansion pack for Guitar Hero.

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Oh, man. Good one.

Zing!

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Golly Gee Willikers,I should send them some of my demo and live collection to use on the condition that they do not remaster them! Ha Ha not like they don`t already have this stuff! I might make a suggestion or two for more of an audiophile mastering even if futile,who knows?I `m skeptical that these remasters for the main album will sound appealing to me,I`m all in for any bonus material.
    The demos and rehersals in progress from Master Of Puppets interests me the most because there is probably lower generation and more unheard material than what has been circulating.
    It would be cool to hear better sources for some of the earlier gigs like The Agora Ballroom 83
    San Francisco`85 and Toronto`86.Stuff that`s already free for MP3 downloads on their official site
    Justice really could use a remix with more bass.
    Metallica`s old producer Flemming Rasmussen has gone on record as saying brilliant bass guitar was recorded for And Justice For All but at the time the band decided to mix the record the way they did.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    coffeetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.