"FURY" - Highly Recommended New WWII Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I'm going to see this soon. Maybe tomorrow or. Thursday

2. Saw it last Sunday afternoon. Thought it was great.

3. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Guys, let's just chill on all of this. There's not a single thing that anyone in here has written as a personal affront to another, yet we're making it out to be that way.

I took offense to the reviewer, not the person who posted the review, and not even that the reviewer didn't like the film. I mean, who cares, right? I can't stand Bob Dylan. So what?

In reality I think we're all well meaning film lovers who can't love them all. Too many girlfriends and boyfriends. :)

EdgardV and Deesky like this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Who's the critic? I would like to read his/her reviews on various movies so I can get an idea about their taste.

Again, who'e the critic?

Scott222C likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Have not seen the movie yet.

Interesting article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...-movie-tank-veteran-sherman-verdict-realistic

..... Fury accurately portrays how superior the German tanks were. A Sherman provided you with protection against most enemy fire but against a Tiger it could easily become your coffin. I remember a very near miss where an eight cm shell from a Tiger tank went within inches of our turret and we decided not to stay around too long after that. In open combat we never had a chance. So, like in Fury, we always had to be one step ahead. It was only because we could call up air strikes and had many more tanks than the Germans that we eventually won..........

...... The corpses certainly mount up in Fury, particularly in the final scene. This was the only part Bill felt lacked credibility.
    I thought the film showed accurately how tough life could be in a tank, but the final scene where the crew hold out against a battalion of Waffen SS troops was too far fetched. The Germans seemed to be used as canon fodder. In reality they would have been battle-hardened and fanatical troops who would have easily taken out an immobile Sherman tank using Panzerfausts (an anti-tank bazooka). They also seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of ammunition and fuel. A Sherman tank only does five miles to the gallon so I think they would have run out long before the final showdown. ..........

As usual, it seems that Hollywood has to ruin a good movie with an idiotic/over patriotic/ uber heroic ending.

turnersmemo, Mychkine and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Not bad, but it's still only the second-best Fury movie.

[​IMG]

mpayan, Mychkine and Scott222C like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sgt Fury.
    What happened to the Arnie 'DC flick?

8. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

.5 miles to the gallon! (off road) and 1.0 on road.... not 5 - yikes.

9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Seeing it today :)

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Makes 'Saving Private Ryan 'look like Bambi. That's not to say 'Fury 'is a better film though.

11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Seriously? I wouldn't think that possible. Now you've got me very curious. :)

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Just saw this via Amazon streaming. It was an adrenaline ride through the battle zone. Very little moralizing, no bigger picture of the politics, the betrayals or the larger misery of war- and in that respect, it felt 'real' to me as a viewer- the only thing those guys cared about was their crew buddies, and if necessary, the other guys they fought along side of, in a particular skirmish. The brutalities, the human loss and misery was also drawn on an immediate scale- the girl on the road, the girl in the town. Agree that the final standoff was a bit over the top, but the only lesson I drew from this was that in the heat of battle, you are pissed off. And that's probably not a bad way to be if your job is to kill the other guy.
    It was an 'entertainment,' (in this day and age, kind of hard to write and read those words, isn't it?) and not a 'message' movie. For that, it was very good.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This was a brutal but ultimately satisfying war movie. The only odd thing for me were the scenes with the mother and daughter-I think they could have left them out completely (or at least cut them back a bit) and the movie would have been the better for it. It is, however very reminiscent of "Saving Private Ryan", so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I finally caught this. It was a strange little film. One vaguely disgusting scene. Overall fairly brutal. Relatively artless for a pseudo-art house film (in that it had a message). And, weirdly enough, I think the ultimate message was: "You can still believe in God and brutally murder people if they're not on "our" side." Not a very good movie.

turnersmemo likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

moral of the story as always since the dawn of time - war is hell

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Loved the combat but had no interest in the individual crew members. I felt like 'I suppose this is an obligation, the standard disparate personalities stuck together'.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What about this one?

[​IMG]

spindly and guy incognito like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I prefer My Friend Flicka!

EdgardV likes this.
  19. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Although half the time I liked the Roddy Mcdowall character, and half the time I hated him.

20. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Well done sir! What an excellent review!

I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray. Have been waiting since i saw the teaser poster with Pitt leaning over the main gun.

I can't wait. And your review just made me even more anxious. :cheers:

21. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I saw a documentary a while back about Canadian tankers in Normandy and it recounted one incident where a Canadian Sherman was sitting behind a hedge row when the muzzle of a German Tiger suddenly poked through the hedge directly at them. The Canadian crew, in a panic, began firing point blank only to have their shells bounce off the German machine. Unaware at first that the Sherman was even there, the German crew eventually fired, ripping shell clean through its turret.

The tank commander's description begins at about the three-minute mark.

turnersmemo likes this.
  22. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Just FYI, clicking on your video yields this response in the U.S.:
    "This video contains content from Discovery Communications, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

23. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I saw a documentary on Hitler's obsession with bigger and bigger tanks. Don't recall the details at this point, but near the end of the war, they were developing a tank that was the size of a house. Reportedly, Hitler was convinced that this was the way to win the ground war. IIRC the plan was to both intimidate and annihilate everything in it's path.
    I found some links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262882/Hitlers-Nazi-wonder-weapons-finally-test.html
    http://www.unmuseum.org/ratte.htm

24. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Those Sherman tanks were given the nickname "Ronson".

Any Brits in Fury? they were conspicuous by their total absence in Saving Private Ryan.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Petrol engines really weren't a good idea, I think the Germans called Shermans Tommy Cookers. No Brits, but it was filmed in Britain and most, or all of the armour is British owned, I assume that in normal Hollywood style all the Nazis are played by Brits,;) the British had dealt with the Sherman's lack of firepower before D-Day by sticking a 17 pounder anti-tank gun in the turret and creating the Sherman Firefly, they could knock out Tigers, it took the US time to catch up, I think "Fury" was an upgunned late Sherman.

I enjoyed it, in some ways it reminds me of World War Two Hollywood movies like "Bataan", as for why the Germans didn't knock it out with Panzerfausts I thought they showed a crate or two and a German officer says use them sparingly this is all we have or words to that effect. The bit I didn't buy was the German who doesn't kill the last tanker, the SS weren't renowned for sparing anyone's life, some strange role reversal going on there, although I have no problem with the GIs executing the hardcore Nazis.

Geithals likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.