Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Let me guess... No silver for North America. A typical Marantz tradition.

magoo6 likes this.
  2. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Oppo, but my experience with my other DAC, the Weiss DAC 202 is that pre amp duties are by far best left to pre amps. Although the Marantz does have a set of variable rca outs so I assume it can also perform pre duties if you wanted.

LeeS likes this.
  3. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

I actually wanted black, and in the UK we got a choice......Marantz's bizarre attitude to N America would get right up my nose, it's ridiculous to only offer their products in black over there!

4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I am glad you like it...at least I know I am not the only one who has heard it! Please continue to post observations.

5. ServingTheMusic

No silver...and it does look great in silver...

6. vakslji

vakslji New Member

ServingTheMusic, which headphones did you try with it? I don't have an opportunity to hear one before I buy/order . You said earlier it's definitely a DAC first an than afterwards 'it can drive any headphones'. Can you please comment bit more on headphone output?

I considering getting one for the office use with HD800, so only as DAC/Headphone amp.

Thanks!

7. ServingTheMusic

Hi vakslji:

I am using a pair of Grado SR.-60s.

It sounds excellent with the Marantz but I am far from a headphone aficionado...so bare that in mind.

8. That is a frigging awesome DAC!!!

9. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

I saw some discussion about using this as the DAC for a dvd-a/sacd/cd player. Some good, some bad. But! I'm in the market for a good "audiophile DAC" and I was thinking, maybe this one would improve the sound stage of my "scrap heap" optical transport. The Yamaha DVD-S1700. What do you think?

10. You will be able to use it as a DAC for DVD's and CD's, but not for SACD and only for down sampled DVD-A.

If you are interested in improved performance for SACD and DVD-A, I'd recommend purchasing a universal player instead--perhaps a Marantz or an Oppo.

11. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

does marantz make a universal player that plays DVD-A?

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, the company's UD5007 & UD7007 players.

13. Also, you could try to use a HDMI de-embedder between your universal player and the Marantz DAC in order to transport digital data from SACD and DVD-A, but it's not guaranteed to work. So, if you are willing to go that route, it could be possible. I'm not sure if all de-embedders contain the same limitations as below--all digital signal output from the embedder's toslink port is down sampled to 48kHz:

http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital-Converter-De-Embedder-Decoder/dp/B005COKXCO

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  14. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

Perhaps the SA8005 is the best option then? Maybe put the yamaha on craigslist for $50. lol.

What would the DAC on topic offer that the SA8005 doesn't? I mean.. counting the optical transport, wouldn't the SA8005 be in the same $$$ class?

15. The SA8005 is about $400 more expensive and doesn't play DVD-A, if that's important to you. The Oppo BDP-105 plays DVD-A and SACD (and Blu-ray) at the same price ($1199). Other Marantz and Denon players support SACD and DVD-A but I am not sure what their price ranges are.

I gotta say that the build quality of the SA8005 looks REALLY nice:
    [​IMG]

16. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

Well.. having access to industry discounts on Marantz.. and NOT Oppo. :/

Either way.. I think I may look at even cheaper options. I think the room and speakers are much more important than bit/sample rates. And I have a pretty sorry setup at the moment.

17. Well, if you have discounts, go for Marantz!

Remember--it all starts at the source. If you want to upgrade something first, go for your source component and worry about your speakers and room treatments (if necessary) later. PM me if you want some advice!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

Just a few comments about the sound of the HD DAC1 After a about 3 straight weeks of daily use...

It really Is transparent and clean sounding, and absolutely non fatiguing and easy to listen to...

Underpriced IMO. It also has a luxurious feeling and look to it..as a bonus.

19. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Just received one of these. I can only reiterate what's already been said by ServingTheMusic: this is one superb DAC, by any standards. It's a steal at this price too (I wouldn't call it budget priced, but it's all relative) even at £679 in the UK. Superb build. Surprisingly heavy for its size. Sounds sublime: not 'showy' but a very natural, (dare Zinsay it) analogue-like presentation. It also has real snap and dynamics, when called for. Beguiling sound - just draws you in. All the detail you could wish for, but not 'in your face' and artificially exaggerated. Firm tactile bass, but not over-powering. All this after only a couple hours listening. I'm sure it'll improve after I have a few more hours on the clock too, as all new solid-state gear seems to do.

This one's worth the hype folks - delighted with mine ;)

John.

P.S. A great interview with the designer here (Google translated). It's obvious some real love and care went into this design:

https://translate.googleusercontent...1.html&usg=ALkJrhgpyCyb0EHAEo0ZkpgHSeCrthHIvg

Vinyl_Blues and Dino like this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

Ahh, the silver one would match my amp.

*puts down credit card*

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for your impressions....great write up.

I can't imagine astute listeners not being impressed.

And thanks for the link!!!!!

22. triple

triple Senior Member

Don't know about you, but over here the link produces a bunch of unreadable letters and a picture of a Japanese-looking gentleman who seems to have his hair groomed at the same place as Don King.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  23. ServingTheMusic

The translation is a little garbled for sure...

24. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Let's not judge the book by its cover. Not that I'd expect it to be bad, but weight doesn't always predict sound quality.

And as to looks, it's a matter of taste. I much prefer the Vega to this thing, with its cluttered front panel, ugly square digital readout in a circular bezel (why?), huge ugly logo, and wood sides. Looks to me like a cross between an old station wagon and some dentist's equipment. But to me, Dan D'Agostino's new creations are drop-dead hideous, too. I even prefer the look of the Lynx Hilo, which is plain-Jane, but looks like a professional tool. Clean design with easy-to-read displays are the ticket.

As you say, sonics are what most of us are after, so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to widely admired DACs. No doubt, the price of really good digital is plummeting lately, and what "really good" is, is getting better rapidly too.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

Certainly agree with all you say....def. a matter of taste as far as appearance...for instance. I think the Vega looks and feels cheap...

And spot on...really good digital is getting REALLY good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.