1st-Time CD Player Purchase...Marantz CD5004?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Men--

I've never purchased a CD player and I know little about them. Interested in something that doesn't look overly angular & antiseptic, and that will play my purchased CDs as well as CD-R with MP3 files that I've burned from my computer. It would be matched with a Fisher 400cx2 preamp, a McIntosh 225, and a pair of Altec Bolero speakers.

I don't want to spend too much. Is the Marantz CD5004 at @$290 a good buy?

Thank you.

2. ROFLnaked

Anyone have an opinion on the Marantz, or perhaps something else in this price range?

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

The first proper stand alone CD player I bought (last year) was the Marantz CD6004.
    Sounds good to me, but I'm no expert.

4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

The new 5005 by Marantz is a step up from the 5004. If a 6004 is available for reasonable it is markedly better than both and should be close in price.

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    www.accessories4less.com

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had a CD5003 and loved it. IMO Marantz CD and SACD player deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I have a SA8003 deck now and really enjoy it too.

bhazen likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'd do it for that price. I have the CD6005 and it's the bees knees. I love how it makes my CDs sound, and I love the design. Also like having the port for my IPod.

8. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Read the write ups on the Onkyo C-7030 it is getting good marks here on the site. I just purchased one and for the money it kicks butt, I like the way the wolfsen DAC sounds on my system.

c-eling, JeffMo and jriems like this.
  9. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I've got a CD5004. After owning big-ticket rigs from Naim, I'd say the Marantz is awesome bang for the buck. Go for it.

bhazen likes this.
  10. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

I recently bought a Marantz cd6005 and I am very happy with it. Sounds great and is easy to use. I am listening to it right now.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I agree with Mr Tim, and Serving The Music just published a great review of the Marantz 5005 a few days ago. As a new member I don't think you can use search function, so scroll back a few pages instead.

And welcome to a great forum!

12. ROFLnaked

As a follow-up, I went with the Marantz CD6005 as an "open box" through an audio company selling through Amazon. Before I bought it, I called the company to make sure everything was legit; though the guy claimed there had been a mix-up on an office building installation and that the box had been opened but the CD player had not even been removed from it, I did have my doubts before ultimately pulling the trigger on the deal. Sure enough, it arrived in perfect condition and I wouldn't have known that it wasn't a 100% factory-sealed unit if it hadn't said "open box - $350" on the receipt (standard going price: $499). Plus I have the full, 3-year warranty from Marantz.

Though I'm not sure I would have heard any difference between this one and the CD5004 model anyhow, I'm glad I spent the minimal few extra bucks for this CD6005 because of the cool USB feature. In the 24 hours that it's been hooked up, my wife and our 15-year-old daughter--who would each previously maintain a safe 10-ft buffer zone between themselves and the outdated, mancave-esque hi-fi setup in the living room--have spent more time listening to the new CD player than I have, while being amazed at hearing their MP3 files through real speakers with real bass for the first time.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not to derail the thread, but new members can't use the search function?

14. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Excellent player.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Marantz rarely makes a bad player.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Congrats on going with the CD6005, it's a great unit. I didn't think I'd use the USB port as much as I am, but I'm very impressed with the sound quality when hooking up my IPod. Enjoy the new unit.

17. Personally, I think the sweet spot for consumer value in a CD player is in the $500-$1200 range. Too many compromises are made on a player under $500, if you are an audiophile with golden ears.

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Last one I bought was a CD 6004.....love it. Excellent units!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.