McIntosh receiver vs separates

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by efraley, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efraley

efraley Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Meridian 557 amp and a Carver Ct 23 preamp tuner that goes along w/Ohm tower speakers a Music Hall TT and an Oppo 103. I used to have a McIntosh integrated amp years ago and probably should have kept it. I'm thinking about trying to get a used McIntosh receiver. I've always loved the look and sturdiness of McIntosh products. Plus it would be easier for my wife to use! Any thoughts?

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm very happy with my integrated amp. I like the keep it simple concept myself.

utahusker likes this.
  3. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

The current model MAC 6700 has gotten excellent reviews. It's rather pricey though, around $4,500.

It is the only McIntosh receiver that has output that is similar to the amplifier you have now.

If that is not an option, your only other McIntosh receiver choices would be the MAC 4100, 4200 & 4300 which are rated at
    75/100; 75/100 & 100/100 wpc into 8/4 ohms respectively.

All are highly regarded - if you are willing to forgo the extra power of your current amplifier.

One other possible suggestion is the recently discontinued MA 6600 integrated amplifier with TM 2 tuner module installed (effectively making it into a receiver, which is essentially what the MAC 6700 is).

Going that route would save some money from buying a new MAC 6700.

HTH, Eric

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Big fan of integrateds as well.

Main system: McIntosh MA6600

Second System: Yamaha A-S501 (quite amazed how well this Yamaha performs.)

They have replaced all my seperates and the wife likes the idea of less boxes.

Slick Willie likes this.
  5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I sure like my MA-6450 integrated.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MAC 4100 really was the best of the high powered McIntosh receivers tuner and build wise and my favorite of the late models. But the other two models are great too. Ohm speakers are not too easy to drive. I like the MAC 1700 best of all, but it needs efficient speakers, I use it's integrated cousin, the MA 5100 which is driving Klipsch Chorus speakers right now.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  7. efraley

Thanks for all of your comments. A new Mac is out of the question price wise now. I'll be patient and see what I can find.

8. Slick Willie

Did you not mention a McIntosh in your opening post? Now - it is out of the question? Might just be me, but someone is confused here?

9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Might just be you. :agree: He said in the OP he was interested in a USED receiver, and later that a NEW one was out of the question price wise.

10. Slick Willie

What.........there are no used McIntosh's out there.......who'd a thunk it? Have not a lot of the models mentioned been on the market for awhile? Are you just being difficult?:p I have so many questions!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

www.mcintoshaudio.com gets you Tom Manley/Terry DeWick and www.audioclassics.com gets you yet another reliable quality source of used McIntosh. Take a look, choose one, get it shipped and enjoy it. The first link, I can personally attest to the quality of Mr. DeWick's work and his superb friendship.

12. efraley

Thanks again guys. I'll check out the links. I can't afford a new receiver (around $6500 right?) but I'll do some research.

13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

You can pick up a used MA6600 for around $4K. Not chump change, however still a great amp at that price.

14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I would LOVE to find a Mac1500 in A1 condition someday. I'd probably pair it with some Klipsch La Scalas...

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, the MA6600 is kind of the "sweet spot" at the moment. You get autoformers/rotator cuff injuries, LED lights so no bulbs to ever change, and a digital readout for source/volume. All you give up feature wise to the 6700 are a DAC and better phono stage. A good deal as a new 6700 is actually closer to $6K. $4500 gets you the MA5200, a great piece of gear but one I found to sound "modern" in a way that might not be everybody's cup of tea.

16. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I have one, if interested.

*Cannot make contact with you through conversations option*

17. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Strongly suggest MAC 4100.

It's the MA 6200 integrated + MR 75 tuner.

Top money is ~ $1,500 but can often be found for as little as $850 in nice condition.

McLover likes this.
  18. Johnnybel

Johnnybel Active Member

I love my Mac6700 more than enough power for my Totem Forest Speakers

19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I have an MA6500. Anyone know how to tell if it has led or bulbs?

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Bulbs. I believe it was about the last generation of Mc gear to use bulbs.

21. efraley

To update: I found a McIntosh 4275 receiver on eBay in great condition for $625 a couple of months late. Have 2 Ohm Towers , an Oppo and a Music Hall TT hooked up to it and couldn't be happier. I check eBay periodically and have never seen one for that price since. A 4100 would be great but at this point, I'm fine with what I have.

22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I utilize 2 McIntosh systems in my house, one with separates, the other with a receiver. That system uses a Mac 1700 paired with a set of JBL L-166.
    The 1700 rated at 45 w/ch actually delivers 62. These JBL's love that wattage as they're very efficient.
    Makes for a nice small hi-fi.

23. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I briefly owned an MAC4280 which is the same thing as the 4275 except it has remote control.

Sorry to say but MAC4275/4280 are McIntosh in name only: Foster Electric (Japan) innards & topography with final assembly in Binghamton. Smaller, lighter and 33% less expensive than the genuine MAC4200/4300 of the same period, 4275/4280 are not in the same league and did not sell well. Quality control not the greatest either, and unlike xx00 models, they are more difficult to repair & service.

Enjoy it by all means, but if you ever decide to move onto one of the others, you'll immediately realize the difference.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  24. efraley

Thanks for letting me know. May be one day I'll move to a xx00 model but for now I'm content.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've been using the 1700 for about a month or so and would like to note that it drives my AR 3's beautifully. Plenty of power(I hardly ever get past 10 o'clock on the gain) and a rich, sweet sound. I only throw this in because if folks are considering a MAC and don't have the dough for one of the big boys a clean preferably restored 1700 can be had for between $500-$700, has a tube tuner, and will drive just about anything.

Jcashfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.