Billy Idol to release new album (and book) this Fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by celticbob, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yeh he did do some great playing i guess i was a bit bummed it seemed they went a little backwards with that album , they had a good band & billy did not want them on the album he wanted more programmed stuff over the great band they had , Steve talks about it's one of the big reasons he quit .

Yeh i'm not an itunes person at all , it's easy $$$ for them , nothing to press up & more cash to make .....

krock2009 and andy75 like this.
  2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

1st thing my friend said when i brought the cd over to his house "He looks very strange like he's had some work done"

3. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I haven't listened to an entire Billy Idol album aside from Rebel Yell, although I think I played Devil's Playground once through one time, and I seem to remember not liking it that much. But I'm a little over halfway through this one right now and I'm really liking it a lot so far! I'm pretty damn impressed. Let's see how the rest of the album is.

4. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Okay after a once through I ended up liking the entire album all the way through, not one dud. Some great songs, some good ones, and didn't find any mediocre as someone mentioned. Whiskey and Pills was probably my least favorite and could see skipping it at some points, but by no means is it a bad song. I'll need some more time with the album and see how it lasts over time. I'll also have to revisit Devil's Playground.

heatherly and Davidmk5 like this.
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I've given it a few listens and like most of the tunes. I still think Devil's Playground has a few much better songs and I like that albums more straightfoward production but I think this album might be more consistant from start to finish.

andy75 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It would appear that the Japanese CD will include the itunes exclusive track "Hollywood Promises" as well as versions of Cradle of Love and Dancing with Myself (Live from Vienna, Austria, July 2, 2014).

I've bitten the bullet and pre-ordered.

seventeen likes this.
  7. serge

serge Forum Resident

for a fewyears now Idol has looked like he's had some work done to his face which is a real shame.. when will people learn??? i think it just makes people look bad..

scobb likes this.
  8. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

That's bizarre what you say, he is full of wrinkles. Not the work of plastic surgery. I think his face just changes due to his health habits, drinking and touring etc. He lost much of the face fat he had back in 2001 in the VH1 special, which he probably got due to not working a lot between 1994-2001.

9. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Also I think he confirmed there's no doctoring on the picture -- no photoshop etc.

Here's probably your answer in this recent itw, "I've got a rubbery face"

No Bull and scobb like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah he looks pretty wrinkled. this is a great album imo though

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm not so sure, I can see the video here and he looks something like you'd expect but for me he looked too young in the VH1 Storytellers set. He looked younger than he did in the Mony Mony video and that's just not natural ;-)

12. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

That's what years or rest and healty feeding and stable relationships does to you instead of hard drugs and casual sex with strangers and touring.

13. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've had time to listen to the entire album a couple of times so far today. Taken individually, there isn't a bad track on it. Taken as a whole, it slants a little too far toward mid-tempo/ballad material, heavy on the nostalgia. Would have preferred a couple more fast 'n' loud ones, like "Scream" from Devil's Playground. Being the same age as Billy, I'm totally into the nostalgia angle, but we could lighten up a bit on the wistful reveries. :D

Billy's vocals sound great on the album. I'm digging "Can't Break Me Down," so I think it was a good choice as the single, for what that's worth. Also like the title track a lot, despite its slightly clumsy lyrics in a spot or two, and love the manic tempo of "Whiskey and Pills." I'll probably make a playlist of the new album and Devil's Playground, to balance out the fast and slow ones.

Nice interview with Steve Stevens about the new album, his history with Billy and some of his other gigs here.

heatherly and Tree of Life like this.
  14. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

"Hollywood Promises" sound a lot like "Get it on to me" -- intentional?

15. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Liatening to the new CD right now and loving it. What a great album! The SQ could have been better, but it's a new Billy Idol release. I'm happy it's out there. Couldn't wait for a possible bonus track on the japanese disc. Wanted this now!

heatherly likes this.
  16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'm pretty impressed too with the new album...sure not as rocking as Devils Playground but very good quality all round :)

17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Details coming early next week on the vinyl edition of Billy Idol's new album, Kings & Queens of the Underground. Check back on Facebook or at http://billyidol.net for all the vinyl release details.

[​IMG]

18. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NEW ALBUM ON LIMITED EDITION VINYL

The vinyl edition of Billy Idol’s new album Kings & Queens of the Underground is almost here!

Already released digitally and on CD, Idol’s latest record has now been pressed at Pallas in Germany on 2-LPs and will ship to most territories before Christmas.

Each copy of the vinyl edition includes Kings & Queens of the Underground on 2-LPs in a double gatefold jacket, album lyrics and access to a high-quality digital download of the full album.

The second LP features one side of music and a one-sided etching of Billy Idol created by album art designer Shepard Fairey.

The records are currently being finished at Pallas in Germany and will ship as soon as possible. We expect these records to ship to all territories by December 23, with many territories receiving their records sooner.

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

He seems to be at peace. Honest guy...seems grateful for all he has. I am really liking the new record.

20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for the record to arrive, however, I thought I would comment that the Japanese CD of this sounds horribly compressed and overly loud! I've only listened to it twice because it's sounds so bad ;-(. Does anyone know the DR value of this release? The two live tracks almost sound as though they're distorting through the excessive loudness, I hope it doesn't sound anything like this when I see him live in March.

The album itself (songs) doesn't seem too bad but I don't see the point of listening to it again due to the loud, compressed and frankly annoying master. I seriously HATE "contemporary" mastering as it makes nearly every release sound horrible. I hope the record sounds better but this CD is so bad I don't think it's going to help much unless they did a complete new master from scratch.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Has anybody heard the high quality download? I would be interested to know if it is a different mastering than the CD, which is rather loud and compressed. Also, is this download going to be available at any of the regular high rez download sites?

22. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Not yet, any idea where the high rez is buyable?

23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

DR-6 for the US and UK, while I agree it is pretty bad, I've heard worse for a 6, Was going to grab the lp but Amazon US is stating "Item Under Review" wonder what issues with it people are having :shrug:

24. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

So far the best sounding version I heard is the iTunes compressed one. The album is too loud so any compressed mp3 version will end up sounding easier on the ears.

25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I think these are my favorite tracks as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.