Post the album that marked the beginning of the decline for that artist..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good one.

Grant likes this.
  2. He gave it up as the 1990s ended. Prince's last racy/sexually charged album was 1998's Newpower Soul.

3. edised

edised Forum Resident

Well, it didn't work for me ;)

4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Oh, I like it a lot as well. I think I was McCartney's last great album, a slight drop from Band on the Run. Everything that came afterwards was kind of a slow decline.

5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Reznor's best, imho.

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That's terrible. Is this what drugs do?

Former Scientist likes this.
  7. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

8. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Without the question mark... is a statement IMO.

9. pawelgra77

pawelgra77 Member

Totally!

10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

It's one of my favorite albums. Reality was up next and it was so-so. Teddy died in June 1973 and yep I do think that caused his work to decline.

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

13. He's probably part of the reason, among other things.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

It's certainly not their best, but man is it well recorded/mastered. The S.Q. on the vinyl is exemplary. I enjoy it because of that, maybe I have a 'Hot Stamper' ? I'll sell it for $500! :biglaugh:

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The very first People releases were in 45 form, distributed by King - including JB's last two singles under his King contract before Polydor bought it, "Escape-Ism" and "Hot Pants" (whose chart life was why he re-recorded that track for the same-named LP which was his first of that configuration for his new label).

But for him, it was all downhill after "Papa Don't Take No Mess" and his '74 string of albums.

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Since KISS is mentioned every so often: I would say in terms of their group works (and what their music and personae were all about - not exactly Shakespeare, some would argue), their decline - if not necessarily commercially - began with Dynasty and crystallized with Unmasked - the last two with Peter Criss as an active original member (though if you spoke to Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley, they'd say Criss wasn't all that active in the last few years up to the point he was fired).

17. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I'm not too keen on the E & N tracks, but that "Marco Polo" album just sounds magical and also has a really nice flow, it's one of my all-time favourite albums. I personally can't see how adding or repeating those DS tracks would add much to DBOTC and possibly an additional album, other than having more (incongruous) material. The biggest problem with DBOTC is that unlike previous albums it has no flow. It all feels randomly put together, more like a compilation. I don't think "Cafe Europa" and "Krishna Blue" (and also "Wanderlust") are bad songs - I do enjoy them but they're somewhat slight compared to what came before, a bit like Talk Talk regressing after "Spirit Of Eden" and doing another "It's My Life" and worse, sticking it on said album. Mind you, me and friends often joked about how DS got a bit too serious over time and that he should perhaps go back bleaching his hair and do a more commercial album. FWIW, my favourites on DBOTC are "Alphabet Angel" and "The Shining Of Things". I also thought those two ballads on "Damage" were fantastic and would have welcomed a whole album in that vein.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The original Fleetwood Mac had several big chart hits in 1968-70 in Europe, among them Albatross and Oh Well.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It may seem like rather a strange point of view, but I can kind of see it: In some ways, DSOTM was their crowning achievement, the most advanced distillation of their experimentation from the preceding years. They poured months of work into it and produced a classic, but in some ways they painted themselves into a corner at that point. Global superstardom ultimately proved to be unhealthy for the band, IMO, sapping their ambition and their group cohesion. Of course, I still enjoy WYWH and Animals, but as the 70s wore on, Roger's dominance took hold, planting the seeds of their demise. So I wouldn't completely agree with this assessment, but I can see how DSOTM was the beginning of the end in some ways.

20. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

They ruined their sound with this album and it was all downhill from here artistically.

Millington and Grant like this.
  21. Beatles For Sale is a good album,not a decline from what came before. Yellow Submarine is a sound track (and a pretty good one at that) which should not be compared with the other albums. Let It Be is the last album, so it can't be the beginning of anything.

OakBloke, Millington and Folknik like this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Actually, my favorite Wings album is London Town. Closest they ever came to making a folk album.

OakBloke and Millington like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Quadrophenia is a masterpiece.

24. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Yeah and Who by Numbers is excellent

Roger Thornhill and zen like this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The bigger the cover thumbnail, the greater the decline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.