Were mic preamps in Vintage Nagra field recorders any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Murphy13, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious. I have a nice collection of pre's for my home studio. I really like the old AKAI r2r pre for some color. Just curious about the Nagras

2. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

What made the Nagra good was its portability and form factor. I think usually they were used with an outboard mixer and pre whenever possible. But it wouldn't astonish me to see idiots pulling the front ends out of the Nagras like they do with everything else: hopefully the price of the Nagra will serve as some kind of deterrent.

3. Murphy13

Why would someone be an idiot for doing such?

4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My dad had a Nagra and I never heard anything sound so good. On that basis of my thirty year old memory, I would say yes, they were good. Also, if you hand around some of the pro audio forums, Nagra pres are spoken of with much reverence, often compared to Sound Devices.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. Murphy13

Good info. I basically have a chance to get an old, working Nagra (built in mic pre) really cheap ($100). I would probably take it anyway since I like old gadgets, recorders, etc. I'll play with the unit as a pre and see how I like it. When I do my recordings (I compose, produce and sell instrumental music for film/video use), I like to mix up the pres a given track. The odd pre's, like the Akai, sound fantastic on effect percussive instruments (tables, gongs, bells etc).

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Nagra mic pre amps are the best in portable devices still now
    The analogue Nagra IV and IV S TC had almost un burstable mic amps that could handle low o/p dynamic mic and high level
    Condensors
    Its all modular , the Dead used them a mic pres in some of their PA rigs

7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

8. Murphy13

Thanks for the info. I did not know that about the Dead. I guess I'm not an idiot after all

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

If they are a detachable module someone probably has a rack to put them in. Anyone have a schematic? Unless there are rare parts in them I'm guessing it would be as easy to clone them though.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They were good for the application they were built for. Which was film sound recording and field recording. Not for studio use.

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

They were very flexible and could both TPower and P48
    The high pass filters and low frequency attenuators were excellent
    Taking them out of a working Nagra is almost a crime, the spare modules on the Bay are cheap.
    Nagra publishes schematics for vintage kit

McLover and kevinsinnott like this.
  12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Curious: What's the difference?

13. Murphy13

I'm curious as well. I've been doing some research and the mic preamps in the old Nagra T studio deck were well liked by many studio engineers. They were the same pre's used in their field recorders. The Nagra EMP outboard PRE is considered top quality for both field and studio use.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For every 1 Nagra T machine found in a studio, you'll find 30 Studers and 25 MCI machines. Nagra makes awesome gear. But their main market is field recording and film sound recording. Nothing wrong with that. And Nagra preamps are excellent. But don't strip them out of working Nagra recording machines.

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Most Studers and MCI and studio recorders in general were line input devices
    Many studio desk mic pres were rudimentary, only some were excellent
    The Nagra portable had mic pres of impeccable quality
    The T was a transportable Nagra, possibly the best 2 track made.

16. Murphy13

I'm still curious on the difference of a Mic pre made for field recording vs one made for studio (besides the box it sits in).

kevinsinnott likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Field Recording has portability and power efficiency as priorities and mobility. Nagra does portable professional gear with fewest compromises better than anyone save for Stellavox (their main competitor in the business). Studio microphone preamps can use beefier transformers, they can be designed with fewer compromises as there is more room for electronic refinements and also power supplies can be beefier. And again, I am one of the biggest Nagra admirers and fans there are. Stefan Kudelski (Nagra's late lamented founder, is very amazing in audio design) And Nagra is the Rolls-Royce of field recording equipment. It really does not get better than they do in that field.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Stellavox doesnt exist any more, Sonnosax is near to Nagra, its mixers and recorders are excellent
    They all came from Nagra originally
    Field recorders can exceed studio devices, they are freed from the mains and its peculiarities

kevinsinnott likes this.
  19. Murphy13

Ok. Yes they were built for potability, however, if the mic preamp is quiet and sounds good, it should work well in any application.

20. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

"Will work", yes. Optimum no.

Mic pre's aren't rocket science. There is a cult of technically incompetent people who will butcher about anything into a "mic pre" for "color" when they should be spending their time in getting one good one and recording stuff worth recording in the first place instead of gimmick sound alteration. Good recording takes discipline and "phat toob mic pre" is a way to avoid that.

You can buy any of many mic pre's reasonably, or you can build one, many circuits are published and proven. The only expense is the transformers and new transformers are not insanely expensive.

The Nagra was built to permit field and cinema recording as accurately as possible given the space, weight and power limitations involved and it did that very well. Still does.

The Grateful Dead did a lot of weird things technically and having heard a lot of GD music on vinyl and tape, some directly off the board via Nagra (!) I don't know if they are really to be emulated. Jerry Garcia's guitar sounds really aren't that good. He was a good guitar player....early on and then he went off the deep end. And no one in that band could sing very well. I am not trying to offend Deadheads just stating reasons evaluating GD audio practice is tough .

http://fixthatmix.com/using_ampex_preamp.php has some good info.

21. Murphy13

Burt have you ever heard of having fun with a hobby?

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Burt has a lot of very truthful things to say. A Nagra is something you don't butcher for a mic preamplifier. Building a microphone preamplifier is not that hard if you can solder and follow a schematic. Back when I was a young, gimpy recordist, I would have lusted for a Nagra IV-S to record the local symphony orchestra. Would have saved me a lot of strain physically speaking. The station I worked for, was on a low budget. So I made do with our old beat up Ampex 600 and 3 Altec Coke Bottle microphones into an Ampex mixer. It did just fine. I more than once had to use our old Wollensak instead. You make do with what is at hand when possible.

23. Murphy13

Who said I was going to butcher the Nagra?

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Use the Nagra as she is. The machine is a legendary piece of equipment. I know you'll respect it. Too many mangle vintage gear for tube mic pres. You are a member here, you're a lot more discerning. Enjoy thy Nagra.

25. Chris in LA

Chris in LA New Member

Some of the guys I work with claim the best remote stereo setup out there is a pair of mono Nagras running in tandem, one for each channel. The tracks are synched up in a DAW when they get back home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.