Why is music still released on DVD-Audio or SACD instead of Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

For those of us who saw the limitations of traditional amps in handling hi res content, the better AV amps were the way to go. Onkyo are my preferred manufacturer and consequently, the issues that hamper two channel are a thing of the past for me.

And I use my TX-NR818 purely in two channel mode.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you done a side by side comparison of the Oppo 105 to "Ayre's latest and greatest universal" player? Until I see that you have done that in a fashion that removes all sighted bias' your thoughts on entry level vs. high end players are pure fallacy IMO. When you say "No one will win anything by living in denial" works both ways again IMO. The true test IMO is if and when can one tell the differences between SACD players by doing non sighted listening comparisons. When one can do that on a consistent basis then that is when I'll believe the differences between entry level players and high end players have a "jaw dropping" difference :).

To me "jaw dropping" differences are in speaker upgrades and their positioning in ones room. As well as the treatment of ones room to get the best out of ones room. The other "jaw dropping" differences are in the music one listens to. I just listened to Steve Davis' "Quality of Silence" SACD and that is a "jaw dropping" experience no matter what the quality of ones system is :). Now I'm listening to Willie Nelson's Stardust SACD. Another outstanding sounding SACD.

Bill

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Not to quarrel with your definition of hi-end-- to each his/her own-- but the "cost-no-object" crowd is a vanishingly small percentage, not just of the public at large, but of folks who are passionate about music and/or audio.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

What are these limitations/issues you speak of?

5. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

OP wins this "debate". Though, for a reason no one even mentioned yet. Two words, Dolby Atmos. (Obviously two channel purists have no need) Some very good reports of the format in the home are out. Check out Scott Wilkinson @ hometheatergeeks.

Now, I'm not saying this is gonna happen in 2015. When it starts, hopefully with Steven Wilson and the like. It will likely "drop jaws" of even the most skeptical.

Heres hoping the engineers and industry aren't too stubborn to embrace "yet another format". ;)

6. Brother_Rael

I wanted an amp that could handle hi-res formats - DSD without conversion to PCM, Dolby TrueHD, Master Audio, an amp that could take my external HDD which has a variety of file formats on it, including FLAC. I also wanted to have an amp that came with enough digital inputs (the TX-NR818 has 3 optical and coax and eight HDMI sockets) and it had to sound excellent. Oh, ethernet connectivity as well.

sunspot42 and Larry Geller like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So you are comparing VHS to the internet and music files?

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

also SACD just added Yes and soon Lennon, The Beach Boys and The Band all from Universal japan in nice Mini sleeves

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The Band : What will be different from the MFSLs, besides packaging obviously ?

10. PNeski@aol.com

I didn't know MFSL did more than one title

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They did 6.

Music From Big Pink
    S/T
    Stage Fright
    Cahoots
    Rock Of Ages
    Northern Lights Southern Cross

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  12. They're all dead formats as long as they continue to re-re-re-re-re-rerelease the same old titles with nothing for the younger crowd.

Meanwhile, the vinyl presses run 24x7 ...

13. PNeski@aol.com

so the only new titles are Moondog and islands all in three different releases

14. Brother_Rael

Not sure if this was in reply to my post, but I really wanted the ability to cater for all of the entertainment sources, files and formats I'd typically use, with an additional element of future-proofing (4k upscaling in the amp). Sound quality came first though and the 818 stacks up well enough to my ears. So, I can have VHS (or tape, or vinyl), or I can have the digital route. As it is, I only use digital, so I have everything from MP3 upwards covered. Works very well and I'm delighted with the setup.

15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Some find value in both resources.

Bill Mac and Brother_Rael like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 100%.

Bill

Billy Infinity likes this.
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i've been trying to create my own audio DVD of a recent hi-res [24/96] download of The Who Live at Leeds but the program i'm uisng,Audio DVD Creator isn't playing smooth through the track indexes/marks.
    it sounds like a very small cut/skip at each one............unlike a Live CD.
    i've even tried cutting the tracks to exactly PAL lenght fps for the authoring of it,but the same occurs.
    any ideas why it appears to skip?

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

So, it's not that traditional amps have these limitations because amps only amplify what is fed to them. I'll take it then that you're speaking of the connectivity limitations of traditional 2 channel pre amps and therefore, your solution was to go with an AVR for the connectivity features.

I have a TOTL Pioneer Elite AVR in my HT rig. Personally, I find the sound quality for 2 channel music lacking when compared to my traditional 2 channel rigs, but to each their own.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I have limited knowledge of this subject matter, but look for an option in the set up menu that allows you to record all at once rather than one at a time.

20. Brother_Rael

It makes an amp pretty limiting in my book and that's enough for me. I needed the additional functionality, I bought accordingly after some research and haven't looked back.

Can't speak of any other gear beyond that which I've tried, but my current amplifier stacked up comfortably against a range I've used in the stereo integrated camp to £1500. Like I said, wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Why on earth wouldn't you use lossless compression? (Blu-ray Audio utilizes it as well.)

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Re: Onkyo. Not something I want to play my music through. As it would degrade the sonics big time over what I already own. And be a major downgrade. I own and I use McIntosh. My MA 5100 isn't going nowhere. Especially as I play over 92% of my music on analog formats. And the speakers I own demand higher end amplification or every flaw is magnified painfully (they are Klipsch Chorus) Not to mention newer Onkyo reliability is going down the tubes to poor.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes it is.

24. Brother_Rael

Thanks. We get where you're coming from. My gear is used day in day out and has done for years. My new Onkyo reliability is just fine.

Ephi82, Billy Infinity and MarkO like this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My gear is used heavily too. And must be reference grade. Will Onkyo support yours at even 10 years old. McIntosh still supports my old MA 5100. I must have a mono switch, proper tape monitor loop, I must have phase reverse switches, and plenty of analog input facilities, and repairable over time. Onkyo is now owned in part by Gibson Guitars (who has a reputation of ruining good companies). I am glad your Onkyo is fine. But Onkyo is not a forever amplifier. Too much SMD IC chips and DSP make that not happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.