Why is music still released on DVD-Audio or SACD instead of Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The real question is why isn't everything released on SACD?:agree:

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Really? I had three Onkyo processors (805, 885 and 886) without a single issue with any of them. McIntosh makes fine components without a doubt. But you pay for the McIntosh name so they should service their older components for years to come. Why would one need "higher end amplification" to drive speakers that are as efficient as the Klipsch Chorus'? How do you come up with the figure of 92% ;)?

Bill

SteelyTom and Brother_Rael like this.
  3. At quite the cost, I'm sure.

Brother_Rael and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 1000% :)! Of course you'd never know that by my avatar ;).

Bill

5. Good question.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

As everything should be released on Hybrid SACD. It is the perfect digital format for the job. And designed for everyone's needs well. From 2 channel CD Redbook playback to 5.1 SACD surround. And player agnostic as a rule. It was thought out much better as a high res music format than the alternatives. If Blu-Ray Audio was not tied to Hollywood DRM issues with mandated HDMI and no analog outs, I would welcome it much more. An Oppo with RCA outs and built in decoding is an excellent player. But SACD Hybrid has been the best universal High Resolution format for everyone out there in digital. As it has backwards compatibility also factored in, so it can be released as single inventory.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    SteelyTom likes this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

We're talking about Onkyo and McIntosh in the same sentences or even paragraphs? There is a huge difference in the designs and resulting sound quality of hi-end versus Best Buy consumer grade. It seems that a few believe that all digital front ends are equally capable and now we're onto power amps. I'm now finding that all power amps (of the same power rating) sound the same? Does everyone here accept this to be the case?

8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Music is still being released on DVD-A? Really? What?

SBurke likes this.
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The King Crimson boxes have some DVD-A's...

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

There really are still DVD-A releases? I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw one.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Some recent Steven Wilson remixes were released on DVD-A and Blu-ray. Yes' Close to the Edge is one that comes to mind.

Bill

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ah, you beat me to it! :) I hit "post reply" and then saw your question and started laughing.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Mileage. I think the best "universal" format out there - by far - is downloaded 24-bit PCM at whatever sample rate. Pretty much any D/A converter can handle up to 24/96 these days, and the better ones can do 24/192 (and even beyond).

And using a computer I can convert that file into whatever format I want.

14. Because it's cool.:winkgrin:

15. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I have two cars that have surround DVD-A systems. Let me know when they start making blu-rays for cars.

That said, I buy all three formats, DVD-A, SACD & Blu-ray.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I do as well, I'm an equal opportunity Hi-Res disc consumer :).

Brother_Rael and AZRunner like this.
  17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, any fan of "progressive rock" should certainly be happy. Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, etc are all seeing Blu Ray re-issues with fresh stereo remixes and 5.1. XTC too.

They sound great, are priced reasonably, and usually have loads of extras included as well.

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Me three.

Follow the content. That's the only thing that's important.

All the hi-res formats sound great; no one of them is intrinsically better than another. At least not on my miserable mid-fi rigs.

Crim's on DVD-A. Floyd's on SACD. Who ya gonna call? Oppo.

I'm certainly NOT gonna buy a Precious SACD-Only Player.

Not on my Budweiser Budget.

If I wait and save up at my current rate to get that Ayre player, I'll be roughly 274 years old. I have every confidence the Ayre is super-duper. I'm equally confident I'll never have an opportunity to stand in the same room with one.

And life goes on.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I look less at whether my equipment is one grade or another, but does what I need it do, that it does it well and sounds excellent. In other words, I set my criteria, check off the shortlist and take it from there.

I have mono if I want it and can assign it to specific channels if I want it so CD could be Pure Audio, Blu-ray can be Direct, and Phone could be Mono. There ample analogue inputs and my contract is with the retailer for the next five years so they're responsible for organising repairs if needed.

No reason why it shouldn't last ten years. Plenty of AV amps from ten years ago kicking around and in good fettle. Mind you, if I'd lashed the cash on a McIntosh amp, maybe costing £5000 and then some, I'd expect them to provide good service.

Quad still service their original gear too, but many other companies draw a line. So Onkyo wouldn't be alone in ten years time in that regard.

And in terms of performance, yep, very much Onkyo. Very impressed with what the company do. YMMV.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Billy Infinity and Bill Mac like this.
  20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You expect people here to be happy? We live in a world with a college football playoff and Oppo quality universal players, but look around this forum. Happy? Never going to happy-en.

:D

Brother_Rael and sound chaser like this.
  21. KeithH

The major labels are supporting Blu-Ray while the audiophile labels are supporting SACD. Still, I view Blu-Ray Audio as a niche format. How many people are buying Blu-Ray Audio standalone releases? How many people are buying box sets with Blu-Ray discs, and then how many of the people buying these sets are listening to the Blu-Ray discs on a quality audio system? A lot of people have Blu-Ray players for movies and listen through TV speakers. For many people, video quality is a higher priority than audio quality.

22. KeithH

I was surprised to see a DVD-Audio disc in the new Tears for Fears Songs From The Big Chair box set. A DVD-Audio disc in 2014? There is little compatible hardware available new these days, as DVD-Audio never took off in audiophile circles. I expected a Blu-Ray disc in the box set (I am aware of the standalone Blu-Ray disc).

On a related note, I am also surprised that the Steven Wilson hi-rez remix sets continue to be released on DVD-Audio. By now, I think Blu-Ray alone would be sufficient.

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I mentioned in another thread that when I was in Europe last month, I went into a FNAC in Madrid and could find no Blu-Ray Audio. Later I visited (what is left of) the HMV on Oxford Street in London. I found none there either. And the clerks had no idea what I was talking about.

24. Brother_Rael

Indeed. I have the Zeppelin Celebration Day Blu-ray disc but I also have the 4-disc set too. Think I've used the Blu-ray audio disc once.

25. Brother_Rael

As long as there's an $8000 slab of hewn aluminium, with a world class £20 DAC chip and a marquee name on it, there'll always be someone....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.