Mike Nichols RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JamieC, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

2. Marsha must be devastated.

3. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

An actor's director, for sure. Brings out the best in them. Gonna miss this genius immensely.

4. On top of everything else he did, Nichols discovered and launched the career of the great Whoopi Goldberg. She was a NYC street performer and he wound up producing/directing her Broadway one-woman show for which she won a Tony Award...RIP, Mr. Nichols...:cry:

JamieC likes this.
  5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Absolutely loved who's afraid of Virginia Woolf. RIP

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

liked his work. R.I.P.

7. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

The Graduate is a great film. Means something different to me every time I see it.

rockerreds and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. woody

woody Forum Resident

I hope someone says that about me one day, well except the part about ABC.

9. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Wow! I love his work and I hope I live to be 83. RIP Mr. Nichols!

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm a fan of the comedy work he did with Elaine May, and of course his iconic films....Graduate, Virginia Woolfe, Carnal Knowledge, Silkwood. A pioneer. Rest in peace , Mike Nichols.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any commentary tracks with him other than Virginia Woolf?

12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

RIP. I always loved Nichols and May. This one is pretty dated, but anyone who remembers using a payphone should get a kick out of it.

jamesmaya likes this.
  13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

His film Closer holds special memories for me, the first film I watched with my future wife.

14. davidarob

davidarob Forum Resident

In honor of the passing of Mike Nichols, I am reminded of the DVD commentary to "Catch-22", which is interesting and funny and informative and unique and what have you...Nichols and Soderbergh's joyous conversation makes my day.

The above clip is not with commentary but is more than compensated with Bob Newhart and Norman Fell.

I look forward, one day hopefully, to it's Blu-Ray release.

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Loved the commentary on this. It's interesting that Nichols owns up to his perceived failures with the film, including the casting of Arkin (Nichols says he now thinks the film would have worked better with a "warmer" actor like Dustin Hoffman in the lead). And it would be great on Blu-ray, because even the DVD looks very nice

16. I loved Arkin in the lead This movie creeped me out when it first came out.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Alan Arkin is my favorite thing in Catch-22 I think for the warmer touch he was offset by all the other characters Art Garfunkel especially. I like the fact that Arlin was the only sharp guy there who realized how insane things were. If Dustin Hoffman had played the role he would've been reaching for pathos And more empathy frrom the audience through his suffering. everything that's going on is so horrible I don't want to get pulled in more emotionally into that movie. I love Arkin in catch 22. He makes it the comedy it is for me the maudlin parts later in the film Are just too much.

somnar and geoffr like this.
  18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I think he would have appreciated it.

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

In a movie house. He had "Betrayal" on Broadway last fall. On stage this is the guy who directed the original Broadway cast of "The Odd Couple" and "Spamalot," as well as "Hurlyburly", "Death of a Salesman" and "Uncle Vanya."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.