Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

/Thread :tiphat:

EasterEverywhere and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Nope, you're absolutely right.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Of course but luckily I have never been in that situation...which is why I can't relate to it.

Harvest Your Thoughts likes this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Why 40,000 songs?

So when you are in Traffic

You can listen to
    40,000 headmen

BayouTiger likes this.
  5. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find your sense of logic to be odd. I find liner notes augment the experience. At concerts I also like to see the musicians.

Peter Pyle and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

A use I found today for having millions of songs in your pocket via Spotify or Beats: when you're browsing the used LP bins a store that doesn't have a turntable available for sampling before you buy, and you run across an obscure record that has a cool sleeve or an artist you know about, but you really want to hear the music before you buy it … pull out your smartphone, and, bang, problem solved. Saved me from wasting money on Flaming Youth's Ark 2 today.

Damien DiAngelo and Scopitone like this.
  7. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Similar but slightly different use for me, many times I've found a myself in a shop looking at CDs, new or second hand, but not being able to remember whether it's one I already own or not. I can check if it's on my iPod already, and if it is then I know I've already got it and don't need to buy it again. Also, the other way around, there's been a few occasions when checking that I've found I don't already own a particular CD that I thought I did so I've been able to add it to my collection.

8. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Most of my music is on vinyl, but the mp3s I have in my car are ones that I cycle through depending on my moods. So I could listen to 300 of them for a month then listen to the next 300, and so on. So for that I would need space to hold all the files and play on a whim. Its only 1500, but I get the need for 40000.

9. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Q: Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

A: A very knowledgeable DJ might. A slightly less knowledgeable DJ might do it with 30.000.

Scopitone likes this.
  10. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

My new HTC Desire can take 128gb on a MicroSD which is good enough for me...I just rip to 320kbps mp3. Fine for casual listening or on holiday. 'Serious' listening at home on vinyl and CD.

11. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Oh, and I still pack a cassette walkman and three tapes in my suitcase when I go on holiday. Still love that..

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I'm guessing you're not being totally serious :) but, when I DJ, I tend to use a playlist of no more than 100-150 tracks, for a 4-5 hour gig. I do have a hard drive with everything on it, but I found the abundance confusing - it got in the way finding the 'right' next record. I try to do my homework and know what I'm likely to want to play, and have it easily accessible.

A bit like having my old record boxes back, I guess!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    troggy and Yannick like this.
  13. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

I guess I wasn't ;-) Thanks for the reply on how you approach your DJ sets. I sometimes improvise a web radio show and for this, I prefer having the whole repertoire on the hard drive. But that one is in the computer, not in the pocket.

14. Certainly not everyone needs or wants a large capacity player, but the question raised in this thread seems to be why should anybody want one, what is wrong with anyone foolish enough to want one and why should they even exist.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    ARK and melstapler like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Large capacity players are beloved by those who like lossless formats, those who want large libraries. Travellers on long trips, etc.

starduster likes this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

To me, a hard drive is a temporary place of storage for files which become the final product; a CD. Solar activity is rising and there is a possible risk of a direct hit in the next few years. If a direct hit should happen, our data is not safe on these primitive, yet temporary devices you call hard drives. I love music too much to let it get wiped out by a natural disaster. We need to plan ahead.

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have to admit, I have never heard of that. A hit of solar activity that will wipe out all my hard drives and back-ups at the same time? Sounds scary. Well, I still have most of my music on the original CDs, but for those albums I only have as lossless or hi-res downloads, I surely won't be starting to make copies on single discs. There has to be a line somewhere. Life just isn't risk-free.

melstapler likes this.
  18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

If that happens, finding your favorite music will be very low on a long list of things to be concerned about.

19. I keep my CDs buried in a box in my septic field. I truly have the best listening experience when I dig one out every year. It's a total sensory experience, including olfactory. :winkgrin:

20. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

And some find playing "Angry Birds" while furiously shuffling between a thousand different artists augments the experience. Who are we to question that?

21. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Who does that?

melstapler likes this.
  22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Convenience to listen to one's music.

Music listening is about ENJOYMENT, not an INVESTMENT.

The ease of hearing stuff adds to the love, does not take away. In fact it makes it far more enjoyable.

Welcome to the world of 15 years ago!

EasterEverywhere and starduster like this.
  23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

:sigh:.....Maybe try that with some newer music??

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

YES! Listen to music only while in an isolation tank or you DON'T REALLY LOVE MUSIC!!! :yikes:

25. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

DING< DING It is done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.