TV shows on blu-ray discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Monty Python was one of the most famous and successful BBC TV series of all time, so I'm positive they held very carefully onto the 2" master videotapes. The question would be whether anybody would want to spend the money remastering them yet again. Uprezzing them to HD wound have questionable benefits, but remastering can often yield better results, depending on the skill of the mastering engineer and the equipment used.

dlokazip likes this.
  2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Give it time, the price(s) will fall. NEVER thought I'd get the Dick Van Dyke season box cheap, but I did. The price still is quite low, Amazon currently has it for under $60. I'm waiting for (hopefully) the Batman box to be fixed and a lower price. Waiting........

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Given a little time, great deals are always on eBay. Most of my box sets have come from there, SEALED, for a fraction of retailer's prices.

erniebert likes this.
  4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Someone high up at CBS Home Video told me that most tv shows on Blu just don't sell that well. Therefore only certain titles get released.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

That may be so, but if the HD masters are already available wouldn't it be cost effective to stick it on a disc and call it a day?

6. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

One thing that sort of surprises me is just that we haven't seen the format used for its storage capacity. Throw an SD show on Blu and fit an entire season on one disc. You could have a show that ran for 7 or 8 seasons on 7 or 8 discs instead of 30-some DVDs. I think people would buy the hell out of those simply out of convenience alone, but I assume the studios keep holding out because hey, we can charge way more for a 30-disc set than people will pay for an 8-disc one.

7. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile Thread Starter

I see that the price for Little House on the Prairie is coming down.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this is technically possible, but the studios and networks have no interest in putting standard-def material on a Blu-ray disc. To them, standard-def is effectively a dead market at this point.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is it even cheaper/space saving for studios? I have single DVD cases that can hold 4 discs. Plus with blu-ray it means more than 505 of potential buyers can't play it how they want.

Eagle Rock is doing their SD Blu-rays that give fans an upgrade on the audio end of things.

10. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

SD on BD are marketed in the German-speaking market. Mind you, these are smaller outfits licensing the shows and putting them out on disc.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SD on BD per bluray-disc.de (576i)

11. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Double post

12. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Yup, possible, and even provides some advantages, but there is no market for it. The general public associates BD with HD so they'd be too confused about SD BDs.

That said, I put all my home movies on a single BD, which is much more convenient than the 4 DVDs they were on before.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you'd be much wiser avoiding optical media entirely and just copying them to hard drive. Then watch the hard drive. Hard drives are cheap -- 2TB getting very close to $50 for a bare drive -- and you can back them up in one fell swoop. Three 2TB hard drives would be a lot cheaper than buying 100 blank Blu-ray discs and would actually hold more material.

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

In the general sense I agree but I already have the data on my server with redundancy and backup. The BDs (and older DVDs) are purely for my parents' usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.