Naim Nait 5i vs. Exposure 2010S2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WapatoWolf, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

saving up for an amp upgrade. Currently running a Cambridge 640A with 640C v2 CD player, Rega P3-24 TT, Cambridge 640p phone stage. Looking for a significant upgrade for about $1,000 used. My research tells me the Naim's are flat out great. The Exposure is supposed to be giant killer with better separation (which i would prefer). Any input greatly appreciated.

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Big Naim fan here. A used Nait 5i for $1K is big bang for the buck. They sound great and have more power in reserve than their specs would lead you to believe. Naim amps are very "toe tappin' " musical and fun to listen to.

Alan2 and bhazen like this.
  3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Totally love my Nait S-2. Really recommend it. I also compared the s2 to the latest version. Kept my s2.

4. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

I know all Naims. thay are very very good, standout.

But in the priceclass you mentioned I would go with Exposure 2010S2.

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Exposure (Stereophile Class A still I believe?), but the 5i is a real beauty of an amp, especially at that price point.
    Another amp you might consider is the Sonneteer Campion, which I preferred over the Nait.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've had it with Naim. Their prices just keep going up. There is no longer any consistency in SQ over the product line. Their 30 year old amps were unconditionally stable into any load, the new amps they tell you aren't good into low impedance loads. It's 30 years later and they still want you to use that 'garden hose' NACA5 speaker cable or 'it won't be stable'. The last Naim amp I owned was a 5i and it was nothing special.

It's not what it used to be. I just want to buy hi-fi gear, not join a cult.

I've heard from multiple sources the 2010S2 is a real bargain. I just ordered a 3010S2 for my second system.

Ducakrugs and The Good Guy like this.
  7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Not true. For at least latest 2-3 gen the manual tells you that you can use any cable.

Quoting
    Naim Audio speaker cable will provide the best results; however, a wide
    range of speaker cable types can be used without risk of damage to the amplifier.

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Naim recommends the NAC A5 cable for their amps – especially the non-integrateds in the Classic and 500 lines – but do not require it. What you say is only true for the high end standalone amps, and if you don't want to use their cable, you just need to follow some basic guidelines they outline for using other cable. Most types of third party cable will work. With that said, I use the Naim cable, and have compared it to more expensive and prettier cables (like Transparent Audio for more than double the cost), and the Naim cable just sounded better when used with Naim gear.

Any of the current Naim power and integrated amps can be used without issue with 4 ohm speakers. I have the latest version of the NAP250 and Naim states, "The NAP 250 is stable into any load and able to drive a 2-Ohm load for long periods of time." I run mine with Dynaudio Contour S3.4 (i.e.inefficient 4 ohm speakers) playing large scale orchestral music at loud volumes and it barely even warms up. I haven't used the 5i, but I did use the Nait XS and a UnitiQute with a pair of Contour S1.4 (also 4 ohm, low efficiency) and both sounded great and held up just fine. I only went to a 250 and larger speakers to get a bigger sound for orchestral music playback.

What you say about the cables and stable loads at low impedance is misinformation.
    And there is no need to participate in the Naim community to enjoy the gear.

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I called the Naim importer and asked if a Naim amp would be stable on my Quads (like the old amp used to be) and they said 'only if you use our cable'.

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yes, the uber-expensive stand alone 250 power amp is 'stable into any load'.

What about the two and three thousand dollar integrateds? Not so much. At least that's what the importer tells me.

11. Josquin des Prez

Which importer. The old one, SoundOrg? My experience with them is they would give you "facts" that support a sale of their product line.

Try going to the Naim site and reading their literature. As I mentioned. I ran both a Nait XS and a UnitiQute with the difficult load of Dynaudio Contour S1.4 just fine. Even the 5i will work nicely with Dynaudio 4 ohm speakers. I've known of numerous people using this combination and not one complained about amplifier instability. Most were amazed at performance.

Try backing up your Naim hate with facts.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I wonder who is correct. The manufacturer manual or the importer.. If you do your Naim home work you will see that your source is wrong.

13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

If a manufacturers importer cannot be trusted then I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on that gear.

14. Josquin des Prez

So don't, but accept that you were misinformed. The correct information is easy enough to obtain. I doubt Naim is the only brand where distributors get their information wrong. I would worry more about whether your dealer is competent than the importer. But if you feel that way, don't ever buy a car. I've never known of an auto dealer that is not misinformed about their product, and many just make up crap as they go. I am used to doing my own research on high ticket items (audio gear, bicycles, cars, and so on) and not relying solely on undocumented claims.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Shiver likes this.
  15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

If you ask me, never trust an importer/seller.. Done that too many times. They have no chance knowing everything about everything. I normally contact the manufacturer directly if I have any questions. Best source there is.

16. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I suppose you can hope you find what you want used. If both come available, I might go with the Exposure. Naim, to me is fantastic, but you need to go all in with Naim components/cables (and maybe speakers, but Ive heard of other brands that work well with Naim). I've read that the newer Naim components play nicer with other manufacturers. To me Simaudio and Bryston are great used options because they carry transferrable warranties, and their sound is second to none.

17. Josquin des Prez

More misinformation about Naim product...

The Nait 5i uses standard (i.e. RCA) interconnect cables, and DIN as an option for a couple inputs. The Nait XS and SuperNait give you the choice of DIN or RCA. For the higher end separates the DIN interconnects are provided for pre/psu/pwr connections. Phono and CD inputs accept standard RCA. Other inputs use DIN, but the cables are not that expensive (unless you want the more expensive ones). When you get into the higher end separates – amps, linestages, PSUs – yes, they are designed to work together. But you still don't have to use a Naim phonostage, CD player, tuner, etc. with them. It's just the pre/psu/pwr combinations that are designed to work together.

I've been using Naim for decades and never had a single Naim speaker. It has never been a requirement to use Naim speakers with Naim electronics. They didn't even make speakers at first. I originally used Linn speakers, and have since used Dynaudio speakers. They all work great. I don't know of any reason to limit what speakers work with Naim (other than the usual reasons that apply to every other brand as well, e.g. power requirement/handling constraints).

18. captwillard

More like you didn't read what i said. Please reread and comprehend.

19. Josquin des Prez

That's what I was responding to. It's misleading. Either that, or you aren't really very clear about what you mean to say.

20. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. But i have only heard 2 posts that address my op.
    what price range are we talking? thanks for input!

21. captwillard

I said that with Naim, I've always felt you needed to go all in. Definitely components cables...there are other speakers that people like with Naim. I also said that newer Naim may play nicer with other mfg components. That is what I have heard in listening to Naim. I haven't heard the stuff in the past couple of years. I have read that the newer stuff integrates with other components, but I haven't listened to.

If you don't agree, fine. There is nothing misleading about what I wrote.

22. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I used a Naim Supernait with Zu Audio cables and Soul Superfly speakers and it sounded spectacular. Ran a Nait 5i before that and it was good too. Not quite as good as the bigger Nait though. Also had some of their Nsats which I ran with a number of amps tube and SS. Really miss those speakers. Jut a clean fun presentation without being harsh. Perfect for AV duties too.
    The Supernait 2 is on the list of possible amps to run my Guru Audio Juniors. Most likely with the same Zu Audio Libtec cables if the sound is right. Modern Naim is not as fussy with cables at all.
    Now a vintage Nait 2 which I've also owned, different story. I only used NACA 5 or LFD Spiroflex with that amp as recommended by my dealer at the time.
    Of all the amps I've owned over the years the Supernait and the Decware Zen Torii mk3 were my favorites. Wish I still had both.

23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have a Nait 1 (red LED) and have used it with OCOS, NVA and DNM speaker cable successfully. The Nait 1 is about as old school as it gets with Naim.

Scott

bhazen likes this.
  24. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Roughly? Used- $1,000, new - $2,000.

25. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

WapatoWolf, is someone in Seattle area carrying Exposure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.