Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - Where We're Currrently At (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Nov 18, 2014.

1. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I haven't started learning the different reels yet -- if we accept these as the 3 basic stages, are any tracks on the box sequenced in the wrong stage?

2. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

Speaking of rearrangements, I was a little disappointed that they didn't recapture the 1965 electric arrangement of 'It Ain't Me Babe' in the Basement Tapes redo. That was quite a dramatic recasting, and his singing in the 12/4/65 version is great. (The only version of that arrangement that survives, I think.)

3. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

Have to say that the 6 cd set really is fantastic.

But I'm curious regarding the tracks that supposedly came from a 'separate dub' made by the roadie. Has anyone done a comparison with the same tracks on A Tree With Roots to confirm that (although clearly not as good as tracks sourced from the master reels) they are better than the best available boot sources? I really don't mind if where needs must they use the boots as a source, but the 'separate dub' sounds almost too convenient.

4. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Actually, a version from Hartford, 10/30/65, also survives in considerably poorer sound. That tape isn't complete (although the performance of "It Ain't Me Babe" is), but the performances that survive are phenomenal. It's one of my favorite of Bob's 60s shows. "Tombstone Blues" is spine tingling.

The Basement "It Ain't Me Babe" is the weakest of the three "rehearsals," I agree. "Blowin' in the Wind" is astonishingly good.

5. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

For the last 39 years I have always thought the exact same thing, even down to the "probably Russian in origin." Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

I have nothing but general impressions of the set to add to the expert commentary found in this thread. I have bought the standard release Basement Tapes several times. Always wanted to like it but never really did. I jumped on the Acoustic Sounds download mistake and bought the full set. I can't admit to having the reverence many of you have, but I finally get the greatness of this set. With many exceptions, my favorite music is live music played by a real band. This fits that bill for sure.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Sofka is an Eastern European name, and also the title character of a 1948 Yugoslavian film.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

How many Sofkas are there in Acapulco?

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not many. Would the film be showing there? ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

While a majority of tracks on the box are vastly improved, I came to really appreciate how good many of the
    tracks on ATWR/GBT sound. It actually comes down to personal opinion, but if you compare
    the box against the boots on some tracks, you may be surprised at your preference. (Disc 2)

11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I CANNOT STOP listening to this set. It's marvelous! Who would have ever thought we'd have this in our hands. It truly is the Holy Grail. I started by tackling each disc individually, but now that I've ripped the discs, I am finding an outright shuffle of all tracks to be an immensely enjoyable listening experience. Stylistic jumps all over the place, plus rarely a "take 1" or "take 2" back-t0-back. It's like hours and hours of Dylan and the Band partying in between your ears.

So far my favourite off-the-cuff remarks are from Dylan. "Okay, what key haven't we played in?" And the "ohhhh ****" he delivers with glee during the solos in "Bourbon Street" is ****ing fantastic. That's what music is all about!!

I'm so in love with this set I'm considering buying the vinyl box too. Crazy?

Dave Hoos, bluesbro, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Any word on the LP version of Basement Tapes RAW? I have a copy pre-ordered from Amazon, but after listening to the 6cd set, I'm thinking I may not need the additional 3LP set (even though I want it). Does anyone know yet who mastered/cut/pressed the LPs? Anybody have one yet that can comment on the sound quality?

13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha, yep. My favorite remark is at the end of "I'm In The Mood"
    "whaddaya say we hear some of that, Garth"

Thelonious_Cube, Dflow and cc-- like this.
  14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I've noticed that the Bootleg Series app has been updated, and has what appears to be more pictures of the reels.

Thelonious_Cube and asdf35 like this.
  15. fangedesire

I assume GetRhythm is going to do a definitive track-by-track comparison of the box set vs. the boot at some point... Right?

Thelonious_Cube and asdf35 like this.
  16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I love that moment because he says "Garth" with great affection. Not something you normally hear from Bob.

Thelonious_Cube, asdf35 and cc-- like this.
  17. fangedesire

I suspect a lot of people never cared that much for the '75 Basement Tapes release, and so wouldn't be interested in the new set. Which is a shame, since the "real" Basement Tapes are such a different, more wide-ranging experience than the official album. It wasn't really representative at all.

18. fangedesire

True story -
    When Albert Grossman played the acetates for Manfred Mann, Manfred asked him:
    "Why does Dylan get this terrible singer to do his demos?"

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

There's one point, on disc 6 I think, where Bob asks "what keys haven't we played in yet?"

LOL ! what a riot!

HominyRhodes and asdf35 like this.
  20. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree! I think that Song for Canada is more rocking sounding on the boots, for example. I am keeping my boots!

Also, Next Time on the Highway to me is a highlight of the boots, and a very rocking track. But it seems to have lost some of its power on the box.

21. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Just played the 3LP box. Sounds fantastic but my tired ears are not the best ! All 3 LPs were flat, not dished or warped. The covers and labels are cool and the large format booklet is very nice. Insert for Shadows In The Night "to be released 2015" included.

Bakeryrec and Tommyboy like this.
  22. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

cool . . . can you provide the deadwax info and/or mastering credits?

23. Yes, I did make a commitment on that - it won't be so much track-by-track, but rather section-by-section similarly to how I went through it in the first part of this thread (doesn't that seem ages ago by now...lol). Pretty busy with a lot on my plate at the moment, but I'll get to it soon...

24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yes, but I hear a note of mockery as well -- it is Dylan, after all...

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well...look forward to seeing that!

I don't have a modern device or the App

HominyRhodes and Thelonious_Cube like this.