New Springsteen Box "Album Collection '73-'84'" (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

Went ahead and ordered from Groupon the LP: 139-10 off coupon - 129 which made is 137 shipped. Bought through ebates and got 6% back. I will return my unopened Amazon one when the Groupon one arrives

Sentient Six likes this.
  3. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

@kaztor said in previous thread "So you'd shell out a lot more money for the same content only to find out it's compressed to hell?
    In this case my choice is easy: I'd go for the red box in a heartbeat!"
    These are far from compressed to hell and they sound better than any other versions I have heard by far. Maybe you should actually listen to them instead of looking at them.

supermd, wayneklein, powerq and 10 others like this.
  4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm still following this thread.

5. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident

My vinyl box came yesterday and I listened to Greetings, WIESS, BITUSA, and sides 1 and 4 of The River. Some may want to wait for the individual titles to be released, if that happens, but I would say Greetings and WIESS are worth the price of admission alone. Certainly better than my mint 1st pressings. Side 2 of WIESS is just outstanding. Also, I could really imagine Bruce sitting on his stool strumming and singing "Wild Billy's Circus Story". BITUSA is certainly an improvement with the added bottom end. As we all know and others have said, The River will always sound thin. This is certainly an improvement and I really enjoyed Side 4 particularly "Drive All Night".

As a completist and big fan I would have oredered this anyway but I can honestly say I'm happy I did. I tend to listen more to the live bootlegs so it was nice to just sit and listen to the individual records again from beginning to end.

I'll spend some quality time this weekend with BTR, Nebraska and my personal fave Darkness.

Sean, Trapper J, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  6. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

WOWHD have got the CD set for £40.37 today. I've just ordered it. I had been holding off hoping the 24/96 version might appear. What with 24bit versions of these albums appearing unannounced on Qobuz earlier in the year, the confusion with the descriptions on the website and the inflated price being asked for a 24/44.1 download this has been a shambles of a reissue if you are interested in HiRes. You would think that it would be in Sony's interests to make sure it isn't a shambles as these remasters are making money for them .

7. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Or you could change your order to euros by selecting Ireland and get it for 43.34 euros which is approximately £34.35

8. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Thanks for that but its pending despatch and I cant cancel, but I know for future orders.

9. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

My wife was kind enough to get the vinyl box for me for my birthday. Opened it last night and put on the first record. First side sounded amazing if a tiny bit bright. Flip it over to find "The Angel" has a big gnarly scratch on it. So bummed out. Luckily she bought from Amazon and another one is on the way, but what a let down. Overall I was pleased with the one side of one album I've listened to. Hoping the rest will be as pleasing.

10. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Got an email from the folks at Bruce's site. They reset my download time saying an error had been discovered in the alac files (not sure which). I redownloaded the three purchases I made and Darkness now has 2014 as the date for the remaster in the album title. There may also have been some kind of error with the Apollo show (it was the item that looked like it had extended download time), not sure as I didn't look at the metadata and such that closely with it.

11. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I did an A/B test with the new set. I randomly switched back and forth between the new remasters and the older CDs.
    I had my wife ( huge Springsteen fan) listen and try to guess which was new new remaster. Almost every time she picked the older mastering as the better sounding.

I'm just saying.

Maddin61 and ricks like this.
  12. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

To each his own. I think most of the new masters blow away anything before them. More clarity, more appropriate bass etc.

RoyalScam, Rodz42, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  13. Who's her favorite Beatle?

14. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just did the same thing, except I bought the CDs for $74 shipped and the 6% back on eBates.

15. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

You really couldn't make this up unless you factor in that it relates to Bruce Springsteen. If it's possible to screw up what should be a positive Bruce event you can rest assure Bruce Inc. will find a way (remember the download wristbands anyone). Since I've not had an e-mail from nugs.net I guess I'm OK but to be safe I guess I need to spend a painful evening downloading everything again just to be safe.

16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

What did you think?

meandafoe likes this.
  17. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

This seems to be the norm now eh?...old is best. I got stung with the Cocteau Twins remasters a while ago...once bitten etc.

I am gonna stick with my originals....well my self remastered originals ;)

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well she has to fill out her system profile first! I am kidding of course.

Funny, because my lovely wife of over seventeen years has asked to listen to my stereo exactly twice, both times at least over ten years ago and each time with zero interest in me being around except for getting the thing started. Once to listen to a Metallica album during a phase she was in at the time, and the other Evita. She was into the Smiths, R.E.M., Cure, Psychedelic Furs in high school and college, but now just listens to Hot Hits 104.3 pure pop in the rare instances when she listens to music, and my alternative rock station when in the car together has not sunk in even a ¼ of an inch yet after all these years; she will readily admit she has the musical sensibilities of a strip club DJ.

Anyway, she is very tolerant of my many hours of moderately loud— although not compressed mind you— music and whatever purchase or pursuit I am babbling about at the time; so I mention, hey a Springsteen boxset is coming, Plangent Process, might be my first time of really being happy with his CDs. She was in the car several months ago when I popped in an original, although not preferred, mastering of BTR I had bought for $3 and she commented, man that sounds like a#%. She then says, when you get this boxset I want to listen to it. After seeing my double take she says she was a big Springsteen fan but never really owned any of his stuff and would be interested in hearing him on a proper stereo. Ok great I say, what album, a little of each? The River she says, it is always about The River for me.

I look forward to her review.

supermd, davers, sennj and 2 others like this.
  19. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Ron nasty

pablo fanques, FJFP and Mazzy like this.
  20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Let's be honest. If you had to pick one track from the first seven albums to be ruined, it would be "The Angel."

breakingglass, kevywevy, FJFP and 5 others like this.
  21. Listened to "The River" in the car. It's a bit bright and while it is certainly louder tha n what came before, there are I prove ends to that album. I'll be co paring my original Darkness to the remaster later. I disliked the original The River on Cd and while it will never be a sonic marvel,it does sound a bit better here even with less dynamics.

22. Did you normalize the volume between the two?

Engelsstaub and Trapper J like this.
  23. helter

helter Forum Resident

Hey guys I past Bruce today at a red light at Phalanx and Newman Springs Rd in Middletown NJ around 12 noon.
    He was driving a dark colored Range Rover wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap!
    Probably heading to his farm in Colts Neck which is only about 5 minutes from there.:)

supermd, pablo fanques, Dugan and 4 others like this.
  24. zikarus

zikarus Well-Known Member

Despite having downloaded the dirty 7 two days ago I had to wait until today for a first chance to listen to them. Since my NAS had become ill and needed new drives making it rebuilding stuff two days already with one more to go I grabbed my DX90, plugged in my Focal hp and gave it a go.

In comparison to my quite old CD versions the new remasters are night and day (might be different with newer discs).

The first two albums sound better by far and simply are a pleasure to listen to - I dare to say for the first time in my case. Same for The River which has never really touched me before but does now.

At a first short listen BTR and DOTEOT seem closer to the (more listenable) CD versions I already own but still stand as an improvement in my ears - more clarity and control.

Very happy so far even though the files are mere 24-44...

Mij Retrac likes this.
  25. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I did an A/B test with the new set. I randomly switched back and forth between the new remasters and the older CDs.
    I had my dog (huge Springsteen fan) listen and try to guess which was new new remaster. Almost every time he pawed the older mastering as the better sounding.

I'm just saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.