Most disappointing new albums of 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricebear, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I think the album is wonderfully melodic and has a great flow as an album should. I feel it has the best of all the U2 styles represented for the most part. It's supposed to be a user friendly , radio friendly U2 album, but apparently that isn't enough anymore.
    The public would rather immerse themselves in childish dreck like Taylor Swift and Maroon 5...

Rocketdog likes this.
  2. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

Elton John-The Diving Board
    Monotonous, slow and just plain boring. Makes Blue Moves seem like Rock of the Westies.

Mooserfan likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I didn't care for Mylo Xyloto either, but Viva La Vida certainly wasn't horrible, I rather liked it back when it came out.

4. johnny 99

Viva La Vida IS their 4th album and I think it's their best. It came out in 2008 and is their 4th album, right?
    That's what I meant.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. johnny 99

I love "The Diving Board". I've been a fan since the early 70's.
    I found it very melodic and the playing and production were superb. It's kind of a night time album for me, but I really do enjoy it.
    Shame it didn't do better for Elton; I think that really hurt his feelings as he was convinced he'd made the best album at the time that he could have.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Oh right, that makes sense. I didn't bother to pick up Ghost Stories based on the reviews, I get the feeling these guys have passed their peak.

7. johnny 99

One of the rare cases where a band gets great and then completely goes in the other direction and gets worse than they ever were.
    They're done; (and Chris Martin is tabloid fodder now and rather a joke in my eyes)

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"The Diving Board" came out in 2013.

9. johnny 99

I missed that! Yes, Sept of last year.

10. danner

danner Forum Resident

The biggest letdown for me was Here and Nowhere Else by Cloud Nothings. Not a bad album by any means, but only a couple of songs really stand out for me.

I was a bit disappointed by Real Estate's Atlas at first, but I've really come around to it.

11. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

All of what you say may be true but there isn't anything memorable/catchy on it. That may be why it isn't getting airplay.

12. johnny 99

If there isn't anything catchy or memorable on it then why have I had these songs stuck in my head for weeks??
    It's melodic as anything I've heard from them.
    As far as radio not playing them, radio is not playing anyone over the age of about 30.
    It's not as if at least 10 great radio friendly rock albums weren't released this year. They were.
    The radio is now just feeding listeners a steady diet of crap by young people, for young people.

13. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I think the Van Etten project is successfully ambitious from a songwriting perspective, but every song *sounds* the same and that makes for a very boring listen.

14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

perhaps because you have lots of extra room in your head?

sorry...you walked into that one!:laugh:

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. johnny 99

My head is my only house unless it rains.
    Walk on!...:laugh:

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not understanding how a band affiliated with Clear Channel is not getting airplay.

17. johnny 99

I disagree. Songs Of Innocence is excellent and Neil's "Le Noise" and "Psychedelic Pill" (with Crazy Horse) were both excellent as well.
    ...and while were on the subject of awful: Fleet Foxes. They're not exactly great IMO.

18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Sarah mclachlan. Shine on. Man this is boring. Slightly better live
    A compilation - that genesis solo mess - easy to see it woukd be a train wreck - had potential
    Yes totally lost me

otherdimension likes this.
  19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

While their style of music isn't for everyone, they are one of the more interesting groups to come along in recent years.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Driver 8 likes this.
  20. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Mine was released late last year. Paul McCartney's 'New'. Huge Macca fan...but this album was IMHO one of the worst album he's ever released. If it wasn't for the fact that I bought the Target exclusive with the 3 extra tracks I would consider it THE worst album he's ever released.

veloso2 likes this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Did you know you're listening to him every time you play "Iris"?

22. johnny 99

I know...My friend recently made me aware of that. I do really like that track.

I liked "Viva La Vida" in 2008 when it came out and saw the band 'live' just after that and I was impressed.
    I just really disliked the last 2 so much that my judgement is somewhat tainted now...

Just maybe they'll do another good album down the road?...

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Ahh, the old "if you only understood, you'd get it (or like it)" trope. Sorry, Neil Young's output still sucked this year - hard.

dino77 likes this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Airplay? What the... That's so 1995, or 85, or 75 or...

Who is getting their music from terrestrial radio these days? Except maybe 13-year-olds...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

It took a few listens to get into either of Pince's new albums, but now I'm all in. Great stuff.

The new Pink Floyd also took a few listens for me to 'adjust my set'...but I am on board with that one too.

Otherwise, almost every other record I bought in 2014 was an immediate 'like'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.