"Motown 25"... this show just never gets old!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I just won a laserdisc copy on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and sat down to watch it last weekend, after not having seen the show for quite a few years...

Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!!

Marvin's Gaye's passionate performance, the Temps & the Tops going at each other (musically) Diana Ross & the Supremes going after each other (literally, though largely off-screen), Stevie Wonder blasting through hit after hit... and Michael Jackson's unbelievable dancing and singing, both with and without his brothers.

It must have been awful to have to sit through all the stage set ups, but I would have **loved** to have been there, nevertheless!

Find a copy of this show, if you can, folks!! :)

Anyone else remember seeing this when it first aired??

-Kevin

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

YES I remember that! My sister and I watched it and we couldn't contain ourselves, and I really remember us both gasping and going "WOW!!" when Jackson did his moonwalk. It was perhaps my generation's "Beatles on Sullivan" moment. :)

Nice score, never knew it was commercially released. Another one for the DVD wish list.

Dan C

wave likes this.
  3. xios

xios Senior Member

The big question I had at the time was "What's Adam Ant doing on this show?" but I think it was a label requirement in order to allow Michael Jackson to appear.

4. Joel Cairo

Dan C.:

'Fraid you'll have to settle for tape or laserdisc on the legit market... it hasn't made it to DVD yet (assuming it's ever going to...)

-Kevin

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. My "wish" is that it was available in the first place.

Dan C

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Motown doesn't have the rights to release it on DVD unfortunately. The special is owned by whatever network it aired on and whoever produced it.

7. srigby

srigby Active Member

I am a little confused. I checked on ebay and there seems to be several Motown 25 DVD's for auction, also a laser disc 2 disc set and VHS tapes. Are these a different Motown 25 than what you are taliking about here?

Scott

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The special came out on laserdisc and VHS back in the 80's.
    The DVD's are boots.

9. srigby

srigby Active Member

Shawn
    The laser disc set on ebay is a 2 disc set, is it an original release?

Scott

10. Joel Cairo

Yes it is, Scott.

-Kevin

11. srigby

srigby Active Member

I just bid on it, I hope that I win it.

Scott

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

13. Time-Life has released this on DVD in an expanded 3-disc deluxe edition...it's available at Amazon.com for $26.99...

Dan C likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I asked the producer, Suzanne DePasse, if they'd ever release the moment where Diana Ross grabbed the mike from Mary Wilson and shoved her away, and she shook her head firmly and said, "no. Nobody's ever going to see that. But it did happen."

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Moonwalk? Always a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WXLDluxCM

MJ did a nice version, too... :shtiphat:

16. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

The story I like about this special is the next day Fred Astaire brought a videotape of Michael Jackson's moonwalk to Gene Kelly. These two great dancers watched and marvelled at another great's talent.

17. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I love how the infomercial for this set teases the MJ performance over and over, "But we can't show it to you!" as though it's a big, rarely-seen moment that makes the entire selling point of the set. I've never seen the full show myself, but I've definitely seen MJ's performance about a million times and I'm sure it's on Youtube. Seems way too common of a clip to base your entire sales angle around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.