The Mobile Fidelity's that got away...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I wish I'd bought the Richard Thompson 12" EP that was a MOFI exclusive.

2. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Probably because they're using a completely new cutting technology, and they may not have the ability to reproduce them because the old titles used old technology that they no longer have access to. The old master tapes may be unavailable too. It's a thought anyway. Otherwise, re-releasing the old hot titles is a no-brainer. They have to know that there is major cash waiting to buy those old titles at $45 apiece.

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Don't know if they made a disc of Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot but I listened to the mofi vinyl recently and was annoyed when it ended - just wanted it to keep going forever.

Grohlfan likes this.
  4. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

For me, the MFSL CD of "Saturday Night Fever"... I didn't know it existed until it was well out of print...Any comments on sound quality from anyone who has heard it?

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've only ever had this version, but I think it sounds terrific.

I managed to get 75% of the MoFi's I wanted, but I wish I'd got more when they were going for 50% off when they were being blown out at Blockbuster Music in 1999.

davers likes this.
  6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

No. It's because they're legally restricted from doing so, as per the original licensing agreements.

seed_drill and HAmmer like this.
  7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Only regret I have is not buying U2's Joshua Tree (CD).

HAmmer likes this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I believe it is strictly a licensing and rights issue and not a marketing choice or technical limitation.

And if I read a couple of more posts down I would have seen someone else already addressed this.

9. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, never knew there was a MoFi of SNF...curious as to how it sounded as well.

10. ServingTheMusic

I have it..the Edge remaster is netter actually...but the MoFi destroys the original CD.

Cliff likes this.
  11. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I saw Beck's Sea Change new at a record store sometime within the last year. I don't think the price was completely off-base either. I probably should have picked that up, but honestly I might be mixing it up with a different record. I guess I'll check next time I'm in the Austin area!

12. DWisker

DWisker Member

I just got a sealed copy of it for 40 bucks. It's gorgeous.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

No

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There was a small speaker store on Topanga Blvd, in Canoga Park (CA), in the late '70s early '80s (near where Big 5 is now) and they used to get test pressings from MoFi for use in demoing their speakers. Once, I asked them if they'd sell them, and they said they needed them to demo, but if I were willing to buy them sealed retail copies to replace them, they'd do the swap. I meant to do that but...

There was a huge used record store in Westwood (near UCLA) in the early '80s that had a test pressing of Abbey Road. There was a note on the cover that it was missing Her Majesty at the end of side two. It was $20. I came close to buying it; I seem to recall having it in my hands for about an hour as I perused their stacks. But in the end, I didn't buy it.

These are two of my sob stories.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I don't have anything to compare it to but the MFSL Saturday Night Fever gold disc sounds great to my ears. Transports you back to the day when this music ruled the pop station airwaves.

16. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

For me, it's the two that literally got away: as in, I had them at one time and now I no longer do.
    I loaned my "Thick As A Brick" Ultradiscâ„¢ 24 KT Gold CD to someone and never saw it again. And then after getting the SACD of "Tumbleweed Connection", I traded in the Ultradiscâ„¢ 24 KT Gold CD version (although I still have the original 1970 UNI vinyl, which sounds great).
    I do wish I had both of these back, although I have been sure to keep all the others, including some of the best sounding (to me) MFSL gold discs, like "Bookends" and "Volunteers".

17. goodboyfred

I went on a vacation and while away my stepdaughter threw a unsupervised party. Upon my return noticed that all my Pink Floyd MFSL, Tom Petty MFSL'S, Nirvana MFSL'S' and Bob Marley MFSL'S were all stolen. This happen around 9 years ago so the pain has subsided, but in a way you could say they were the ones that got away.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got both, but, strangely, I've never done a shootout. I've also got a lot of the ANADISC 200's, a test pressing of DOFP on some German audiophile label, and several quad reel to reels.

19. ServingTheMusic

Ouch. And you let her live?:angel::D

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The only one I keep half an eye out for still is Keith Richard's Talk Is Cheap

21. goodboyfred

The only thing good about it was that it could have been worse.

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I really had no idea how hard Allison Krause and Union Station Live is to find now. I started out with the SACD and liked it so much I bought the vinyl right away when it was released. I randomly ran across a copy of the box on EBay recently for $650. Really?

23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

A few months back I could have bought a like-new Silk Degrees MoFi for $40 from a reliable Half.com seller. It was there for about a week, maybe more, and I did nothing about it.

Do I regret it? Eh, I don't know anymore. The more I check my collection, the more compressed CDs I find and the less I want to do anything about it.

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The one that got away would be Sticky Fingers. Not because it was a great sounding one, but because I had it on consignment and it got stolen.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

This one is fantastic.

noyoucmon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.