New McCartney tribute "The Art of McCartney" to feature Dylan, Brian Wilson, Barry Gibb and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Jackson Browne may be an acclaimed songwriter but IMO he is as boring as hell.

tspit74, rockledge and heatherly like this.
  2. 905

905 Senior Member

Like I posted earlier, I'm only interested in the Heart songs, so I'll just download them from amazon. Too many mixed reviews and I don't care for some of the artists anyway. I wish Macca played on some of these songs to make it more interesting.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    heatherly likes this.
  3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I had a whole collection of Japanese JB CDs and I finally sold them off. Too uninteresting, I never listened to them. But other people doing his songs is a different story..............

heatherly likes this.
  4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Glen Campbell doing "These Days". Calling it brilliant still doesn't do it justice.

jricc and joelee like this.
  5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

According to the liner notes per track, his backing band plays on about 15 tracks, other members minus Abe on a handful of other tracks. Many of the songs surprised me, some had me hitting *next* really fast.

Imaginary boy likes this.
  6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's strange how many songs were recorded in four or five different studios. Did McCartney's band record their parts individually?

I don't think it's been mentioned that Henry McCullough plays on Billy Joel's version of "Live and Let Die."

JDeanB, JimC and theMess like this.
  7. Imaginary boy

Imaginary boy Forum Resident

Thank you.
    Hello goodbye IS the Cure playing though and BBking sounds like himself. I guess these both are exceptions

8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No need...you see, I realize there were four Beatles. ;) . I have also praised McCartney and said I feel he is the better overall songwriter. I also feel Paul is the best musician, and most naturally gifted. All the same, I do stand by what I said - that there is seemingly an alarming and sad devaluing, and even disdain, of John Lennon 'round these parts by certain people who feel Paul Was The Beatles.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Maidenpriest and Imaginary boy like this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Oh, I believe you.

Are you serious? When a guy writes: "If I never have to listen to another solo Lennon song in my life I'll die a happy man", what other "ASSumption" is one to make from such a statement? No, I think it's you who needed to word his post a bit better, if you meant something else.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I thought Heart's "Band On The Run" was a bore. But "Letting Go" was good.

fredblue likes this.
  11. heatherly

You're kidding right? The italicized "in my life" didn't give away the fact that my tounge was firmly in cheek?
    I'm burned out on the guy's music but I don't hate it !
    Get a grip, please. Saint Lennon will live on with or without my love of every little thing he ever put to tape.

JDeanB likes this.
  12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

We had the doc about the making of the album over here a week or so ago; it didn't make me want the album at all, tbh. Barry Gibb: he has the entire McCartney catalogue to choose from and he goes for 'When I'm Sixty Four'. Seriously?. Having said that it's obvious his voice has gone (as evidenced by his strange speaking voice in the doc). I remember several years ago reading that (half of) Queen were going to record a cover of 'Souvenir' (a GREAT choice, I can really hear them making a fabulous job of that song) for a McCartney tribute album, but never heard anything of it again, unfortunately.

theMess and heatherly like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love to hear Roger Taylor's gritty vocals on Souvenir, it is a shame that nothing has happened with that.

I agree fully regarding Gibb's song choice; I would much rather have heard him sing a different McCartney song; in the same way that Brian Wilson chose Wanderlust and Jeff Lynne chose Junk, it would have been interesting to hear Barry (even without his voice being very strong) singing something funkier like Coming Up or Say Say Say, or a classic ballad like For No One or Here, There and Everywhere (he has been singing The Long and Winding Road on tour recently, which would also have been a better fit).

Robin Gibb worked on a tribute album to Maurice, and Paul sang Too Much Heaven for it, although it has unfortunately never been released. Barry should have chosen a McCartney equivalent IMO.

heatherly likes this.
  14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The first thing I thought when I read about them covering 'Souvenir' was ''That's the PERFECT cover for Taylor & May''.

theMess likes this.
  15. One of my classmates tried to convince me that Don Knotts and Mick Jagger were cousins.

JDeanB likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Twins separated at birth:

[​IMG]

;) Arnie

17. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I don't have the album and maybe the liner notes knows clarify this, but I was reading an interview with Sammy Hagar who did "Birthday" on this album and he said it was not his choice. He was asked to play that song and he would've rather played something like "Maybe I'm Amazed" or "Let Me Roll It" because he felt that suited his voice better. So maybe the producer made the song choices or at least some of them.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It is a pleasant listen, the songs of course are stellar, most of the renditions a bit too faithful, but it is fun to hear his solo and Beatles work mixed up. Yeah, I know all of his live albums do this too, and of course any of us can do that with an iTunes playlist or equivalent.

But, I do wish some risk taking and "making the song our own" had taken place. This could have been a great album, not just a pleasant one, given the talent involved.

JDeanB and JimC like this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

John didn't think he was a saint, and neither do I. However, I am getting a definitive "Saint Paul" vibe from many! ;)

Licorice pizza likes this.
  20. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

21. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

That was the one thing that came across right from the start of the doc; the producer was choosing songs for the artists. Apart from Dylan.

22. heatherly

Now now, Paul ain't no saint. I read a story in a book about how he tossed some poor fan's gift to him out of his limo ;)

23. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I haven't see the doc yet but I get the feeling that the producer is also responsible for the straightforward arrangements and use of Paul's band for 80% of the tracks, all to the detriment of the comp.

It really feels like he had the band just play a bunch of tracks and later had artists come in and lay down vocals as opposed to asking or letting the guest artists have much input into what they were doing, obviously with a few exceptions.

Also, there's some horrible sounding auto-tune on a few of these, right around the Owl City and Perry Farrell part of the album (maybe more, didn't listen closely to some of it).

There are a few gems on it though.

24. Great more tracks that are arranged and and sound exactly like the originals. What a wasted project.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I tried to ignore this the first time you referred to that incident, because I didn't want to take this thread off topic. But since you persist .. Yes, I witnessed Paul doing this first hand, in 1995, in New York City. Paul had a favorite hotel he liked to stay at back then, and it was not uncommon for fans to sometimes gather there. In the Howard Sounes book, I later read of a similar story involving that same woman (who is named in that book as "Paul's biggest NY Fan", and she's always stalking him), occurring naturally at the same NY hotel... and supposedly occurring two years later in 1997 (it does not say anything about throwing her gift out the limo in the book, however). So either there was a similar incident which re-occurred two years later in 1997 at the same hotel and with that same persistent obsessed female fan , or the details and year of the '95 incident I witnessed got altered in the re-telling of the story.

You said something about not making judgments on people we might not know very long here; well, I'm not one of those people who needs to go around telling "tall tales". And if I was, then at least I'd have enough sense to make up a completely different-sounding story that didn't bear any similarity to the one told in the book for everyone to read. I'm telling the truth about my Paul experience, which occurred in June of 1995 (not in '97), before the book was written.. even if you would rather not accept it as a true story. So yes, it looks like Paul does get angry at fans sometimes, when documentary cameras are not running, and he does not need to be "on" --- at least on the streets of New York. And in a video now and then elsewhere in France or the UK, which crop up on YouTube.

PS - I have several photos from 1993 of my seeing Paul at this same NY hotel when he appeared on SNL, which I may post one day if my gal can help me figure out how to do it (I'm not very computer literate).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.