Streaming ≠ End of Physical Media

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, it happens to me often, not so much the computer completely locking up, but I get dumped by Spotify. It says that my system is unable to stream music and I have to close/reopen to get it back. The only way I can stream music without interruption is if I step away from the computer. If I want to work on the computer and listen to music at the same time, I cannot use a streaming service. A higher speed internet plan would solve that but I can't afford it.

Nice Marmot and melstapler like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Since we're now making guesses about why this release was limited to download only, can anyone guess what the actual band members from The Bangles would have to say about this title not being released on CD or LP, formats? Those 2 formats were used for most of their previous works.

I say we interview The Bangles and get the truth.

3. melstapler

Some computers get nervous and can't stream when other programs are around. That's why I like being able to open a physical CD and place it into a physical player. Right now as we speak, I'm listening to a CD and running other programs on my computer. My home system is not affected and no service can slow down the speed of my player or charge me for each use.

Nice Marmot and dkmonroe like this.
  4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Well, it's true, as I said: A nice CD version with vintage photos and detailed liner notes would be much preferred. (can't have too many photos of Ms. Hoffs :love:)

Still, I would prefer to have this rare music available to me than not, in a way I can support the band financially. As some others have said, it's possible it wouldn't have been released at all if physical media were the only option - it's not like The Bangles have a massive market these days.

I suppose I could boycott this release for principle reasons. But who is losing in that case? Mostly me - both now and possibly for future opportunities at more vault releases from the gals.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Excellent plan. I volunteer my apartment for the interview. ;)

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Quite a sacrifice you are makin' there my friend.......:D

goodiesguy, melstapler and Scopitone like this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

I still buy Cds & Vinyl, always will, but the idea of having things (Books, DVDs, Music) sitting on a shelf is beginning to look very old fashioned.

8. Slick Willie

Books, music, movies on a shelf...old fashioned? Now that is a disturbing statement. Must we have a computer on to enjoy these activities? Used to be you could walk into someones place and tell a lot about them......now it's "can I look at your files"???

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Your computer or internet sucks. Tell work to fix it. It's not streaming that's the issue. It's probably just a crappy computer or connection.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Right....because all music streams are beyond technical issues.....even though they run on computers and the Internet as well.

Shak Cohen and Slick Willie like this.
  11. melstapler

The scariest part about all this is how a large percentage of music consumers here in America will blindly accept whatever they are told by the big corporations. If they say in a press statement that streaming is in and CDs are out, then everyone blindly obeys and streams, even if it is not comparable in terms of quality or function. Thanks to the power of controlled mainstream media and a globalist agenda, people are no longer capable of thinking for themselves.

Well guess what folks? I have a message for the sheeple out there. I am stockpiling thousands of CDs and LPs and to take them away, you will have to pry them from my cold, dead hands! We are the resistance, we are the true patriots and purveyors of sonic freedom here in America.

12. melstapler

Some people may boycott the release and pursue illegal avenues to download the songs, causing the band to earn nothing from sales.

13. Slick Willie

Wow, you got my vote......are you running for anything? You should.:D
    Let me throw something else into the mix.
    As a caretaker of 40-50 year old pristine (some) vinyl LP's, and some books as old, let me point out the fact that physical media can/does span many generations. Almost heirloom stuff - will one be able to pass on their hard drives? Would there be any value there? Just some thoughts rattling around in this head.

14. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Assuming I live long enough, I'll still have my (by then) 70 year old records that not only work fine but will be collectables, in many cases. Meanwhile those hard drives will be sitting in landfills. :D:D:D:D

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Wasn't this silliness postested in another thread today?

octaneTom and nbakid2000 like this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How far away from the OP can we get?

Billy Infinity and Slick Willie like this.
  17. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

My dog agrees.

SoporJoe likes this.
  18. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Hahaha...... I'll file a requisition first thing Monday.

19. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

The vast willful ignorance of technology abides :laugh:

nbakid2000 likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Huh? :shrug:

Gasman1003 likes this.
  21. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

No, i completely disagree, maybe not in the States though but it is already happening.

22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

This is comical. :biglaugh:

23. melstapler

There are probably 100 million songs on file sharing programs such as Ares, eMule Xtreme and eMule Plus. So, I have a question for all of you "hip," "current" and "in-the-now" folks who prefer downloading over buying physical product.

Question: Why would someone pay for streaming services or click the buy button on iTunes and purchase the same mp3 when they can download and listen to the same songs and albums for free? The mp3 is being saved to the same fragile hard drive, which could crater at any given moment.

Thankfully, I don't download or support the downloading of anything legally or illegally for that matter. The only streaming I do is to preview new releases for the purpose of purchasing physical product.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Because you never know it could be transcoded shi#$.

melstapler likes this.
  25. melstapler

While that is true, many casual listeners and mp3 consumers might not even take that into consideration. They just point-click-buy-download.

Peter Pyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.