Grateful Dead - The Complete Europe '72 Box Set Favorite Shows Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member Thread Starter

73 CDs, even for the most dedicated DeadHead is a lot to digest. Please pick your top 3 shows from the 22 shows on the tour:

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Nice idea.... I look forward to posting my opinion, after it's arrived and I've had the chance to check it all out.

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Jesus, give us a month or two!

4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great idea!

5. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

No kidding! I'd like to listen to each show at least 2 times to do a proper ranking.

6. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

there were great Dark Stars, there were great Other Ones, but I think you have to look at the 5/26 Truckin'> Other One > Morning Dew > Other One > Sing Me Back Home as a sort of culmination/pinnacle of the tour. If it were not included in a very edited version on E72, it would be looked upon with much higher regard

p.s. the great Dark Star: 5/25 (no, NOT 4/8), the great Other One: 4/26

7. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I'll get back to this thread in a couple of months. It will take a while just to get through this set once. Then come the Pink Floyd releases... Might take a while. :)

8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I am listening to them in order and I am show #4. It's the best so far.

April 14 Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Of those shows I have had before this set was released, 5/14, Copenhagen has been a favorite.

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Well, I hope this thread stays open for a while. It'll be interesting to see which turn out to be the winners. I'm nowhere near ready to vote yet.

11. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

its 72 discs & may take a month to digest coffee[1].gif g'morning

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

surprised by so many 5/4 votes. That to me is a bit of a sleepy, droning on at times show. 5/3 is easily stronger, just looking at the two.

13. I'm curious to see the poll results now that we've had enough time to digest the whole set.
    Any one ready to vote?

14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Agreed. This thread was a great idea, but about two years too early. Considering how much traction there is for Dead threads (albeit from a fairly compact bunch of members), this thread should be moved up to the top.

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

5/10, 5/11, 5/26

16. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

I love the 5/4 show because of the Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia...
    And 5/26 because of Truckin' > Epilog....
    Of all the Dead show's in several shoe boxes, this is the bit of Grateful Dead I always go back to..

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I can't vote because I don't have the whole box.

That being said, I love my 4 complete shows (1 unofficial), 1 2CD highlights show (HYH), and 8 additional discs of highlights (Steppin' Out, E72, E72 v2).

That's 21 discs total (plus my unofficial copy of 5/11) with just a tiny bit of overlap (mostly 5/26 and E72).

18. honkymagic

honkymagic Forum Resident

4/8 and 5/26 are no-brainers for me. The third spot is much more of a toss-up, with a lot of small highlights within individual shows coming for attention. I love, for example, the Lovelight from the Hundred Year Hall show, but the rest of that one is fairly standard (for an amazing tour, that is). Ultimately, I went with 4/14 for another wonderful (but very different from 4/8) Dark Star -> Sugar Magnolia transition.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A note about 5/26/72:

Yes, the second set jam is one of the highlights from the entire tour. However, I want to give some love to the first set.

At 18 tracks, it's one of the longest first sets from the tour. Everything is played especially well. The Playing in the Band is, I believe, extended past 15 minutes length for the first time. To top it all off, when the band is ready for their set break, the audience spontaneously starts clapping the "Not Fade Away" rhythm, so the band decides to rip into a killer NFA>Going Down the Road...>NFA, which usually ended the 2nd set, not the 1st.

20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.