MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The only other cheap option I can think of is to wash the record by hand in the sink, using the MFSL brush to scrub, and then rinsing it off with distilled water and maybe MFSL One solution afterwards. Though you do risk getting the labels wet, and unless you're really thorough I don't think it'll be as good or as fast as a Spin Clean.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the problem of Spin Clean is dont work with pro liquids like http://www.audiointelligent.com/products.htm well you need use a lot liquid volume to cover in the bottom recipe... but well that is another thread.
    but yes maybe I buy the spin clean just for cleaning this damn! mfsl thing!

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't consider that a problem, the solution is pretty effective on it's own. And a gallon of distilled water is pretty cheap, at least here in the US, and the Spin Clean maybe uses three cups worth of water which cleans around 40 records. It's not that much.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes right now I see some videos, I dont think that clean in very deep like other RCM's etc... but is ok for a normal clean and remove some of this mfsl thing...

5. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

A possibility for surface marks is that most moulds used to make record stampers are not de-horned anymore.
    The 'horn' is a small furrow of material left at the top edge of the groove when the record is cut.

Very fine grit tape was rubbed by hand across the rotating mould to remove this to minimize the cosmetic effect you describe.
    Too much pressure would result in a loss of top end and sometimes groove depth if the process was particularly
    heavy handed!

All you have to do is rub your finger across the record surface and notice the streak it leaves. If the mould was de-horned , this effect would be less noticable....

Deryl Johnson likes this.
  6. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

The thread is about defective inner sleeves from MFSL that leave a white powedery, somewhat sticky residue on records. It's nothing to do with pressing issues. The pink matte-finish RTI inner sleeves are even worse, IMO, as they are so sticky you have to wash your hands afterwards. I just bought the Hendrix "Axis Bold as Love" reissue from a few years back, and it came with that nasty inner sleeve. Huge unforced error for a plant like RTI...

7. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I cleaned a bunch of LP's with my Spin-Clean a few weeks back and put them all into MFSL sleeves. They probably dried in the rack for 15 minutes after drying them with a rotation of pretty dry Spin-Clean drying rags. I just checked them, and they are all as new. I purchased my MFSL Sleeves at Sound Stage Direct.
    It's strange that You are having this problem. I know that it's a crazy thought, but could our buddy's the Chinese be making counterfeit record sleeves? You aren't the first one that I've heard complain about record sleeves from MFSL leaving dust or marks on the album. I would think that as many million of them that they produce every year they should all be identical.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They had a problem a few years ago, but the problem was corrected. There is no longer an issue w/new MOFI sleeves.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

MFSL has acknowledged the problem...

10. Deryl Johnson

I don't know how Spin-Clean gets this bad rap. How in the heck could it hurt anything as long as You check the brushes. Actually, once they see the great brushes that are used by the Spin-Clean, there would be a lot less ignorant attitudes about it.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

The key word is here is NEW, as hopefully the stock of packaged sleeves at resellers has been dealt with, but any sealed MOFI LPs from the period may have the affected sleeves, and buyers will need to clean the vinyl and replace the sleeve.

TLMusic likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I buy my affected in musicdirect.com months ago... later they send me a replacement, they say that know the problem and the new ones are clean, so if I'll buy more I go to buy again in that site and ask again "hey new ones are really cleans" I prefer ask for everything before buy.

by the way, I test many inners sleeves in the market, MFSL are still my favorites, people that say "I dont like becuase are too filmsy" yes!!! filmsy is better! is more soft, remember the inner need touch the record, so more soft filmsy is better for the disk. the Diskeepers are too heavy for the disc and have some dots that can scratch the record, I dont like, so yes the MFSL is stil my favs.

13. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

I got marks on my records with these ***** MoFi sleeves. The marks are only visible under direct light, so maybe some people who have them have not noticed that problem yet.
    Will never buy them again, even if the company resolved the problem.

groovelocked likes this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

why if they resolve the problem dont buy again?
    and if not use again what's the replacement brand?

15. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Diskeeper sleeves from Sleeve City are better anyway -- I prefer the Ultimate version, which is thick enough not to bend when you put it in (that's what she said...oh forget it) the outer sleeve. Also has a hole on both sides so you can see the labels, which I like.

What I don't get is why RTI absolutely refuses to use a decent inner sleeve. They went from the sticky pink ones to clear ones that were so flimsy you couldn't get the record back in the jacket, to whatever they've gone on to now. Why do they keep re-inventing the wheel, poorly?

16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Right. I bought a sealed copy of Miles Davis 'Four' and More that was affected by this issue. A cleaning and new sleeve fixed it right up.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont like the Diskeeper Ultimate (I mean are not bad, that my second choice before MFSL) like I try to explain before... I prefer filmsy material for the disc and not heavy thick like diskeeper, I think filmsy is more safe for the disc that insert in a thick material...
    about see or dont see the label with hole, that dont matter to me... I insert my disc with the mfsl sleeve inside a white jacket, so see or dont see the label is not important to me,
    ok that my opinion, a personal taste, but yes the second option is the diskeeper ultimate to me... I try a lot! brands and things and I choose
    MFSL or Diskepper Ultimate.

18. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

To each his own, but the material in the Diskeeper is identical to the MFSL, it's just that there's a thicker piece of paper sandwiched, and it's on both sides, which makes it thicker and heavier, but it is just as soft, just not floppy/bend-y.

19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I just started using the Diskeeper Ultimate and really like it. I typically don't slide the records, once resleeved, back into the jacket, which also adds to potential scrapes- i have a fairly elaborate way of poly-bagging the jacket in 6 mil, the original inner sleeve in .2 mil and the whole shebang in a 13 x 13 poly bag. To protect the record in its new sleeve, it sits between the jacket/poly and the old inner sleeve poly. Elaborate, but it works, and doesn't require me to 'work' the jacket to remove or reinsert a record (some of the old records have fairly fragile outer jackets).
    For a 'thinner' inner sleeve, Chad's so-called 'rice paper' sleeve was my go-to, bought in quantities of 250/box.

20. Deryl Johnson

I hope that You get out of they bad and into the good. Whatever sleeves You like, they shouldn't leave dust or sticky pink stuff on Your records. Every once in a while one of the dealers gives about a six hour sale on Spin-Clean via Amazon. I got mine for $40.12 shipped. That was only about six months ago. Like the old commercial said, "Try It, You'll like it".

21. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

My very new Miles Davis Sketches of Spain (I think it just came out recently) had an infected sleeve!

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

and "old" stock copy? maybe.. or mofi still sold infected inners?

23. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

More than likely old stock, as Sketches of Spain vinyl came out 9/2013.

24. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Cool then.

25. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I was considering buying some mofi inner sleeves until I learned about this thread. My question is, if I purchased some directly from mofi today would this still be an issue? I'd have to imagine not, but better safe than sorry right? I'd love to get the disckeepers but they're on backorder.