Do you think Jay Leno and David Letterman will ever reunite?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dave's show is up next year...do you suppose one of the big events to happen before he signs off is reuniting with Jay Leno for an interview? They were a great team during the 80's when Jay would be on Dave's show constantly and seeing them work again would be a reunion of a generally overlooked, forgotten comedy pair.

Thoughts?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been predicted that Jay will go on one of David Letterman's last shows when he ends his long run in May 2015. Howard Stern has badgered Letterman for years about his rift with Leno, and Dave has said "Jay and I have some disputes that go back to the late 1970s, long before either of us was famous." But he wouldn't detail what they were.

MRamble likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

MRamble and wayne66 like this.
  4. Would be nice to see both Oprah & Jay show up on Dave's final week on his show...a bit of symmetry to close out his 22-year run at CBS...

MRamble likes this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

MRamble and milankey like this.
  6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jay was a guest last week on "The Tonight Show" and if you watch the interview, especially when he stayed on the couch for the next guest, I felt that he really came off smug and kept poking at the way Jimmy Fallon hosts the show. Jay may be the nicest guy in the world off-camera, but on-camera, he makes me cringe like no other personality ever has.

As for this threads topic, I don't need a reuniting of Dave and him, let's just leave it as it sits!

marcb, Chip TRG, JimC and 1 other person like this.
  7. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Letterman refuted any friendship with Leno in the 30-minute live interview he did with Howard on Stern's birthday show in February 2014:

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Give us the time where Dave says this. I can't listen to Stern The Ass for 30 minutes.

pdenny likes this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Watching Jay Leno receive the Mark Twain Award on PBS........some of the presenters clearly do not want to be there. They're forcing smiles and pretending that Jay was an inspiration when clearly he was not.

krock2009 and darkmass like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The sad thing is that Leno is a fairly nice guy who tried to do the right thing on many occasions. I think he was perceived as a very superficial, facile person, and the evidence that he was a lot more Machiavellian with his rivals (like Conan O'Brien) does not help his case. People forget that Leno was a very sarcastic, funny, cutting-edge comedian in the 1980s, one of the funniest stand-ups in the world at his time. But I think he became very watered-down on the Tonight Show, and I think that was a calculated move that got him ratings but lost him a lot of street cred.

I was chagrined when he abruptly fired his longtime manager Helen Kushnick, who had been instrumental in pushing him to success for the previous 12-13 years. No question, Helen was a screamer but she fought very hard for what she thought was right. I worked with her every day for two weeks in the 1980s and we got along fine... but I also saw her rip a few people to shreds. I think her rough manner made many enemies at NBC and quickly got her axed, and Leno chose to placate the network and not stay loyal to her.

kouzie likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

only they know...

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they can have neil young and david crosby on the same show.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

He came off as pretty funny I think!

Just watched it, and that is his trademark "Smug" routine, it is an act. If you watch Jay outside the show such as on his car shows, he is very down to earth and nice.

Fallon has made the show a bit silly though. He pretends to be trendy and as if he thinks he is cool and 28 years old, but it's a see through act to many.

"Act hip", is his motto. Lost me as a viewer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.