Is Your Record Collection Expanding?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I'm finding it hard to get "good " cd titles, especially old redbooks in s/h b&m shops.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I need to stop. I've ran out of space and I have most everything I want but I still love hunting, finding and aquiring records . I have more than I could ever listen to. It's time to stop for awhile and deal with what I have.

Millington likes this.
  3. alexpop

Original album pressings are not my prerequisite any more.

4. alexpop

Mind is expanding, but not my pocket.:)

5. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Storage has become an increasing issue the last year, so I buy less vinyl and CDs, but still a lot.
    Downloading from bandcamp and HD has increased to compensate for the reduced number of LPs and CDs. Although, quite often the download eventually lead to that I buy the CD and/or the LP as well.
    Old school guy like me want to handle the media, not only click on the file :)

6. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Since my turntable has been repaired. YES !!!

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Very true, especially in my neck of the woods. I trip away is also welcomed (new bins to explore). Good vinyl is also hard to find as well.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

After the renovation, I believed I had enough space for the next 10 or 20 years (provided I'm living that long), because I've usually taken care of the principle 'new in, old out' - well, sort of... But now I once again have a LP coffin full, though just some 14-18 months ago I swore that all LP's are going to fit into LP shelving: no coffins accepted anymore!

And ceedees? Well, there's a simple solution if there's problems with space:

[​IMG]

Sort of CD wallet for both the cd itself and the booklet/cover. You can fit two or three "wallets" into the space of one jewel case. I think I can yet get couple of hundred ceedees more... :)

http://protected.de/de/CD-Schutzhuellen-DisCover-von-Knosti_3015

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe for modern CDs, but not original smooth sided, patent pending, or even some of those ribbed ones. I came across a DADC CD case the other day as I was clearing out a few duplicates, and it felt wrong to separate it from the CD.

jfeldt likes this.
  10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

True, not for all cases. But in my case, to most of the cases. ;)

11. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Yes, looks fantastic, till I started to calculate the cost for buying 4000+ sleeves and not even taking the amount of work to transfer all the CD+booklet from jewel box to the new sleeve into account :confused::shake:
    I asked my kids if they were game for such a task... and they smiled and said, no they were not interested, they rather paint the summer house.

jukes likes this.
  12. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Ain't it the truth. Sometimes at the thrift store, I find a bunch of music from the late 70s, early 80s in good condition and think that somebody my age must've died.

Chad

13. alexpop

..but the music never dies.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If the right records come along I won't hesitate, but for the past several months I'd say I've been buying less records, space is becoming a real issue, cash is scarce, plenty of new records are too expensive, there just aren't that many records turning up that I want or need, that's one advantage of having lots of records, you already have a lot of what's about. On the other hand I've probably bought more CDs this year than at any time in history, I'm overflowing with boxes of CDs, at times people are literally giving them away and I've picked up at least several hundred this year most of which are Jazz and Soul and none of which have cost much, I'd say half the ones I've paid for have been £1 or less which to me is absolutely crazy, but experience has taught me to take advantage of this bonanza whilst it lasts.

4stringking73 and Dave S like this.
  15. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Nowadays I only buy a cd if it isn't available on vinyl. Or if it has an extra like a DVD. I love my vinyl.

16. alexpop

Vinyl.
    Mint condition finds are a pleasure.

17. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I'm expanding my CD collection but sell a lot of stuff I don't need anymore. I've slowed down a bit after hooking up my NAS storage and network player.
    And: I prefer the smell of ... in the morning:whistle:.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

It certainly is expanding, and I'm in serious trouble with seriously shrinking space!

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

People are moving into nursing homes and have to digitalize their collections and get rid of their books and stuff. All this perfectly good music is ending up with the Salvation Army.

aussievinyl likes this.
  20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Still expanding a bit. Unfortunately listening time is decreasing. However the universe is expanding. C'est la vie!

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes—spent hours this week re-organizing the LP collection. The Classical section increased by something like 500 titles over last year. Lots of good classical LPs in thrift stores these days.

22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

For me it's the same. Although still more CD's are entering the house than leaving it, I'm running out of storage space. So I'm more frequently checking for albums to sell or give away, and try to buy less. Which is kinda hard. Very hard. Extremely hard. Kinda cold turkeyish...

hi_watt likes this.
  23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm kind of in the same boat. I feel like the quality reissues are better and better so they are about 70% of my purchases, used vinyl about 25% and cd 5%. I really only started buying CDs again about a year ago. If it's a title that sounds better or more readily available than the vinyl version I might get it. The last two days were odd for me as I spent a lot of money in short time (bday purchases) but I bought 3 new vinyl releases (all analog no less), 8 high quality reissues (mostly AAA), 2 used vinyl titles and 1 cd. The grand total was about $300. I try to focus more on quality over quantity these days. I love a good value but it's hard to come by on most of the things I want.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

I've slowed down a lot more. Room and my pocket are the main issue.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not too much anymore. I have all the titles I ever wanted. I buy new stuff like Neil Young and Pink Floyd, but there really isnt any older titles I dont have. My "need" list is extremely short. Waiting on Roger Waters Amused to Death.

chumlie and hi_watt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.