Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

How many different colors will she be when it's all over? She's been blue for 'Avatar', green for 'GOTG'...

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

She's the new Sci-Fi queen that's for sure with Star Trek, Avatar (with 3 more on the way), Guardians (at least 1 sequel, this one could on for a while if they keep it fresh).

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Forgot about Star Trek....

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Now it's the biggest hit of 2014, passed Cap!

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well deserved....

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The trades are filled with the news that Al Pacino saw Guardians in Europe with his young children, and had this to say about it:

“It was not something I would readily go see, but my kids got me to go, and one has to draw the line at where prejudice starts and where it ends — that was good stuff!” He had even more praise: “I recognized the ingenious stuff they were doing; the invention, the attractiveness of the way they were performing it. It had a Shakespearian feeling to it at times. I was caught up in the big screen, the great sound…”

AL PACINO! :eek:

http://deadline.com/2014/09/venice-al-pacino-marvel-movie-guardians-of-the-galaxy-sequel-828455/

Dan C, Maggie, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Finally saw this tonight. Great movie!

8. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Saw it yesterday, the success of the film created expectations that were completely fulfilled. I really don't think I've enjoyed something so much in the cinema since RAIDERS, back in 1981. Marvel have saved Hollywood, I think. It did have swear words, probably due to not being a Disney co-produced film - that was a relief in these over-PC times.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Blu-ray details unveiled

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15134

Disney and Marvel Studios have officially announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of writer/director James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy, starring Chris Pratt as Peter Quill aka Star-Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer, Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket Raccoon, Vin Diesel as the voice of Groot, Lee Pace as Ronan, Michael Rooker as Yondu, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Glenn Close as Nova Prime Rael and Benicio del Toro as The Collector. The summer blockbuster arrives via 2D and 3D Blu-ray combo packs on December 9th.

Official Synopsis: From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team: the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe.

To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits: Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon; Groot, a tree-like humanoid; the deadly and enigmatic Gamora; and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand--with the galaxy's fate in the balance.

The Blu-ray release of Guardians of the Galaxy is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround. Special features include:
    • Audio Commentary
    • Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
    • Making-of Featurettes
    • Exclusive Look at Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    • Gag Reel

10. Vidiot

BTW, director James Gunn has made the rounds and has given some pretty funny interviews. Among the things he's mentioned are:

• he chose all the songs in the movie specifically because they were favorites of his as a kid
    • Gunn's brother was the on-set double for Groot and sometimes Rocket Raccoon, to give the actors somebody to react to
    • Gunn himself did the Michael Jackson dance moves as reference material for the CG artists that did the "Baby Groot" VFX at the end of the film
    • in the last month or two of production, Gunn asked Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige if he could sneak in a cameo of Howard the Duck at the end of the film, and Feige thought he was joking! But he approved it, and they threw the whole scene together in about two weeks, just as a last-minute thing not in the script.
    • actor Bradley Cooper -- who was fairly heavy when he was initially cast -- promised the director he would be in top physical shape when he had to do a shirtless scene in the film. He later said he was determined not to look like a fat slob in the movie, because he had loved comic books as a kid and wanted to look "totally ripped," just like an actual comic book superhero. Cooper actually wound up exceeding everybody's expectations on how far they wanted him to go in terms of physical looks.

11. That's Chris Pratt who slimmed down.

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My only let down was that from the preview it looked like we were going to see some green breasts or at least some green side boob, oh well.., maybe an unrated blu-ray?!

• Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
    Yes, bring on the green boobs!

BTW, it just toped both the first Iron Man and Transformers films domestically with a 320 million dollar take and will probably take down Forest Gump, no matter how fast that poor dumb bastardized can run!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wow that's some serious dedication, considering he never even physically appeared on screen!

I think you mean Chris Pratt.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, Vidiot is right - Bradley Cooper was a big fat slob before he worked out for "GofG". Here he is in a "before" picture - what a porker! :laugh:

[​IMG]

Dan C likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Finally saw it, at least most of it. Pretty disappointing - very cheesy and full of bubble-gum CGI. It's in the same league as Mars Attacks, if perhaps a little better. They also did something I thought impossible, they made Zoe Saldana look unattractive. I was so bored by the near end, I couldn't finish watching all of it.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

You did realize that the film is tongue in cheek, right? The cheese was intentional.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I knew nothing going in about the film, except for the hype. And yes, it did become apparent.

18. progrocker71

James Gunn did a horror/comedy several years ago called Slither that had a similar comedic tone.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think I can safely put James Gunn on my black-ball list, to keep Michael Bay company.

20. Vidiot

The film was just chosen by the SF website IO9 as the best science fiction film of the year:

This movie and LEGO Movie, both starring Chris Pratt, feel sort of like bookends. They're both gleefully creative and funny, playing with heroic tropes with glorious silliness. What makes Guardians of the Galaxy such a standout isn't just its retro-80s seat-of-your-space-pants fun, though. It's the way director James Gunn uses details like Rocket Raccoon's cringing posture and Star-Lord's cheesy 1970s mixtape to convey a sense of loss and deep emotional wounds, that makes the movie's zany romp that much more fantastic. In a year where tons of famous heroes failed to capture our imagination, this movie showed how it was done.

http://io9.com/the-10-best-and-10-worst-science-fiction-and-fantasy-mo-1672135627

21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I watched it on 3D Blu-ray yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Good fun.

But I was wondering about the constant back and forth of the aspect ratio between 2.35:1 and 1.78:1. It appeared to be more or less random, though most scenes in space seemed to be in 1.78:1. Very strange. Anyone know what's up with that?

22. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I had a fun time at the movies when I went to see this, but if its the best science fiction film over "Interstellar" (which I actually enjoyed less) is ridiculous. Best "space fantasy mindless action flick"" maybe. But scifi? no way.

23. progrocker71

Star Wars isn't science fiction either, it's a "space action/adventure", which is the same way I would describe Guardians Of The Galaxy. I also think it had too many clever bits to be described as mindless.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 2D version that I saw both theatrically and on BD were 2.40:1 the whole time - no changing in aspect ratios.

I had no idea there was a version with alternating ARs!

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.