Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear. New album, February 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turbo2k, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Turbo2k

...and here's his amazing performance of Bored In The USA on Letterman.

3. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Fear Fun is one of the best albums of the last 10 years, easy. Droll, melodic and haunting.

4. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

My favorite album from 2013.

5. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Album cover:
    [​IMG]

The studio version of "Bored in the USA" can be heard on Soundcloud.

Fear Fun has become one of my favorite albums ever. I haven't looked forward to a new album this much in a long time! Josh Tillman AKA Father John Misty seems to have really outdone himself here.

Turbo2k likes this.
  6. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

There is a new video for "Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)":

And here's Tillman's hilarious description of the almost-making-of the video:

"A few months ago, I had an idea for a music video. I was going to rent a wedding chapel, get a dozen kittens and stage a kitten wedding, over which I would preside and intercut with performance footage of me lip-syncing the song which you’re hearing today, “Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)”. Sounds great, right? It may have even gone viral because kittens. If a video goes viral, that means you’re reaching a wider audience, and you might even get on a chart. If you get on a chart that means you’re streaming more records, and the more records you’re streaming the more money you supposedly have for hiring kitten wranglers.

Aside from the fact that kitten wranglers are considerably more expensive than you may realize and that said-kitten wranglers all informed me there was no way we were going to be able get the outfits I had mocked up onto said-kittens, there was another extenuating factor involved in the decision to abort this music video concept and ruin the slim likelihood that I might ever get to see the Huffington Post entertainment headline “EX-FLEET FOXES DRUMMER WEDS CATS”.

That reason is that the song actually means a great a deal to me.

It’s got the #4 on it because this iteration Chateau Lobby was the 4th attempt at arranging and producing the song that did not turn out perversely sentimental. Sentimentality brutalizes emotion. Much like ironic music videos.

I don’t care all that much if you like the music video or not. The label isn’t crazy about it. Management isn’t crazy about it. I have been informed I’m basically kissing an MTV "Woodie" award goodbye forever. I made it on an iPad on my wedding anniversary with the one I love. We ate pancakes."

7. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Pancakes!!!
    I'm in. Preordered.

rainspainplain and nbakid2000 like this.
  8. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

The first two singles off the Honeybear took a while to grow on me, but lately, it's pretty much the only thing in my head. "Bored In The USA" is some seriously brilliant stuff. I swear FJM is one of, if not THE only artist these days that can make me truly feel. Whether it's the sarcastic arrangements that hide the seething commentary of "USA" or the sheer shock I felt when, during a little monologue at a show in the summer of 2013, he smashed his guitar and walked off stage, he always gets a guttural reaction from me. And makes me think. And isn't that what great art is supposed to do?

Revolver and Satchidananda like this.
  9. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

What was the deal with the audience laughter later on? Something going on off-camera? The laughs didn't seem to sync with the lyrics. I first chuckled when the camera revealed that he wasn't playing the player piano.

10. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

The laughter is intentional. It's also on the studio version.

11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Listened to the new album a couple times tonight, and WOW. This is one LUSH record. I can't get over the instrumentation and separation. It's masterful.

Tillman's voice has never sounded better, and the harmonies on "When You're Smiling and Astride Me" are floating-to-heaven level good. In fact, every song has at least ONE part that makes you go "this is some GOOD ****!"

The album picks up where Fear Fun left off, but then goes in strange, new, awesome directions. Tillman's lyrics are as honest and humorous as they've ever been. But where this album gets ya is that for every zinger, there's a line that'll cut right to the deepest part of your heart. Father John Misty's music has been described as sounding like "a sarcastic Michael Buble", but ballads like "Strange Encounter" don't come off as the least bit schmaltzy. Tillman's performance and Jonathan Wilson's production completely sell this song, and every song on the album.

"The Ideal Husband" is a major highlight and is one of the most savage tracks Tillman has ever recorded. Three-and-a-half minutes of pounding pianos, screaming siren-like guitars and the man they call Father John Misty singing his guts out, like he's recording his own personal ***** Cats.

There's a great batch of songs on here, all elevated by stunning production and flat-out masterful musicianship. The guitar work on this record REALLY shines.

What a fantastic record.

12. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I'm hugely anticipating this one. Fear Fun was one of my best purchases over the pat two years. Sheer tortured genius.

scotto likes this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

+1000

DEAN OF ROCK and crispi like this.
  14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I've heard it too and while I like the arrangements (esp. When You're Smiling...), production and vocals, his lyrics just ruin it for me. They sound like he's making them up as he goes along. Very snarky at times in a Rufus Wainwright kinda way that I just can't deal with. Want to like him but just don't.

15. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. The Ideal Husband is everything. Also really nice to finally hear some of these songs again after hearing him workshopping them on tour a couple years ago.

The lyrics are a bit more narrational this time around, but they serve to illustrate the overarching story of a relationship that the record is telling.

Not sure what to tell you about the satirical nature of his lyrics. If you're not on board, this just might not be the guy for you. His sense of humor is a very important part of his writing style. Without it, his music wouldn't be nearly as compelling.

Barry Vaughan and gsmile like this.
  16. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Thanks for heads up, one to look forward to.

Caught him live last year and saw him with Fleet Foxex a few years back, talented chap.

Gary

17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the deluxe LP version of this pretty much based on that Letterman Youtube video. Brilliant. And bought a ticket to see him in Nashville in the spring. What I have heard so far is excellent. Eagerly awaiting the rest.

18. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Also looking forward to it. Also think Fear Fun is one of the best records in ages.

19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Loved "Fear Fun". Also loved his work on Fleet Foxes' "Helplessness Blues".
    My GF and I saw him at Bonnaroo 2013 as well, supporting Fear Fun, and it was amazing.
    He's great live.

fmfxray373 and fourfeathers like this.
  20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have Fear Fun and I am sort of on the fence about him...but that Letterman clip is gonna make me buy the new cd once it comes out.
    I do not know how much influence he had on Helplessness Blues but that second album from Fleet Foxes is really great.

Turbo2k likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

I can see why some would only have part of the picture on Tillman.

I saw him live and I have about a dozen radio broadcasts and interviews..when you hear his in between banter
    and interviews, you realize he has created this fantastical world. The first time I heard him talk between songs
    I thought he was a mental patient, but I loved it.

His website, email, and his "novel" are another, happily bizarre facet.

elvissinatra and Turbo2k like this.
  22. His last album was probably overlooked by too many people.

23. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Excited for this album. The first four tracks off of Fear Fun totally caught me off guard and I love it. The rest of the album is great too, but I think that burst at the beginning of that album really shows how great of a performer and songwriter he is. I think his mix humor, wordplay, and brutal honesty would make someone like Nilsson proud.

fourfeathers, Turbo2k and gsmile like this.
  24. Turbo2k

Does anyone know if the deluxe vinyl will be available only from the FJM store or if it will be available elsewhere?

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Turbo2k likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.