Los Angeles Plays Itself (excellent doc for Angelinos and cinephiles)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

This is now available on Netflix streaming.

drivingfrog likes this.
  2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I didn't enjoy it. The narrator has many an ax to grind.

3. Bryan

Yeah I guess I should warn people that if you're looking for a feel-good documentary about LA and the history of cinema, this isn't it. But if you're like me and are cynical with a dry sense of humor, you'll enjoy it. It helps to be from LA, too.

Dave Garrett and drivingfrog like this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Worth watching for all the great film clips alone. The narrator begins to grate on my nerves after a while, so I generally watch it in segments.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Definitely. I'd had this documentary on my radar for years now and finally the DVD was released and sent out to me from Netflix. Having finally sat through it, I'd recommend to others to pass on it. The narrator has a rather miserable world-view, which perhaps the Hollywood elite might enjoy. Too bad he just couldn't pass up the opportunity assault viewers with his extreme opinions.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Well, I think the collected film clips outweighs my problem with the narration. It's a 3 hour documentary, because it is split into separate sections it's easy to watch one part, then take a break and come back to the next part later. I don't think "Hollywood elite" has anything to do with it, the filmmaker lobs many balls of hate at the film industry and Hollywood in general. In fact, I would say it's a pro-Los Angeles/anti-Hollywood film.

ky658 and Bryan like this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember being puzzled by the aggrieved tone of the narration... about how L.A. is always standing in for other times and places on film and never presented realistically. He gripes about distorted geography and iconic buildings being disguised as other things. The director doesn't seem to understand that movies are, you know, fiction.

You want to talk a place that's never itself on camera, try Vancouver! The building I work in has been in about 100 TV shows and movies, and it's almost never depicted as what or where it actually is. But... so what?

BZync and EdgardV like this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Some of his points may be interesting to consider, such as certain architecture being associated with "the bad guy", but this filmmaker clearly wanted to integrate his world-view into this film just as Springsteen does at his concerts. There's always the fans yelling "just sing the next song!!!!"

Pittsburgh has been a hot spot lately for the film industry. It was a big deal to see that sort of activity just a few years ago, but now it's so common that I'm likely to not even notice. That said, Pittsburgh scenes are not going to be too common. It would be annoying to see Pittsburgh playing a role, so to speak, over and over and over. I'd have a hard time enjoying a film if I recognized so many places.

9. Bryan

Why would the filmmaker not weave his opinions into the work?? The film is basically an essay in movie clip anthology form. It's not meant to be some sort of objective recounting of Los Angeles or Hollywood history, so it shouldn't be expected to come across that way.

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Glad to see the rights issues have been ironed out and more people can see this - I really enjoyed it!

11. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've had an "unofficial copy" of this for several years, and was alternately amazed and delighted when I heard it was getting an official release - I always figured the rights issues would be too daunting to surmount for a low-budget film like this with a niche audience. Just received the blu-ray (after having to cancel my unfulfilled preorder from one vendor and reorder elsewhere), and look forward to reacquainting myself with the film again in a better quality version.

I've gotta say that I don't recall finding the narration particularly objectionable, but it has been quite some time since I last saw it. Then again, I'd definitely fall into the category of "cynical with a dry sense of humor". :)

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sounds interesting, I had not heard about this one before.

I've worked on tv and film locations around LA and am amazed at how well our city / county can be made realistically to look like so many other cities.

I'm cynical enough, I should like it.

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Agreed.

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Looks interesting.

15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Note that the narrator (Encke King) did not write the narration -- Thom Anderson, the director, did.

I saw this several years ago when it was circulating in bootleg in film schools (I had friends who were in film school at the time). I was and am really into Hollywood history and I enjoyed the barrage of clips and the narration which was kind of like Mr. Plinkett before its time. I did learn some things about LA, which I have yet to visit.

On the other hand, I also thought that "LA is represented unfairly by movies shot in LA" was about the least important thesis and topic for a documentary of this length ever. And it's nowhere near as funny or subversive (or informative) as Mr. Plinkett.

What I'm saying is, it gets to be a bore after a while.

Mind you, I also have this bizarre prejudice against dudes named "Tom" who spell "Tom" with an H in the middle, so take my opinion for what it is.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They should have hired an actual actor with a real voice. This guy has a terrible voice. But the footage is terrific.

Maggie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.