Naim Nait 5i vs. Exposure 2010S2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WapatoWolf, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

Before I got obsessed for the LK Linn range I had a 5i (itlic one) with the cd5i II bought as a package at a reasonable discount. I think like Linn they do have a wonderful toe tapping presentation of music that may not be as detailed and spacious as some brands but will keep you listening for ever.

However I personally found it a little too bright (I was using Allaes which may have been too big) .. One good thing is they do hold there value though.

I still have a lovely pair of NAC62 and NAP140 that sound stunning .. Now those were the days when Naim new what style was.. Just like Linn they seem to have lost the plot somewhat IMO.

No experience of the exposure .

As always if you can get both in your room for a cpl of weeks settle for the one you enjoy - ignore reviews and marketing.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    WapatoWolf and ls35a like this.
  2. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

My Audio Analogue Puccini SE gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. I was going to head down to my excellent dealer Audio T in Brighton (and servicer of my LP12) to listen to amps in the £1k territory of which they were suggesting the Naim and the new Rotel at that price point.

But....there was a train failure, I couldn't get into town and as luck would have it there was an Exposure 2010s2 on EBay in mint condition that I ended up getting for under £400 delivered. They're a local firm to me so always wanted to try some of their stuff.

What I can say is that I'd have been happy paying the £900 RRP for this amp. Not quite as warm as my old Puccini, but greater sense of dynamics and levels of separation. Also greater soundstage both front to back and vertically. With that in mind, it's not for the faint-hearted and is pretty revealing of less good recordings. I'm delighted personally - been more like an upgrade than a replacement. I've not heard the Naim so can't compare, but can heartily endorse the Exposure.

ls35a likes this.
  3. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I replaced a Naim 42.5/SNAPS/140 with an Exposure 15 integrated into Quad ESL's and never looked back. I still use the 15 now with Tannoy DMT 15's and use Exposure separates, 13, 19, 18S in my main system. I imagine these amps will see me out as I plan to maintain them to last. Naim or Exposure are both fine amps, you can't go wrong with either.

WapatoWolf and ls35a like this.
  4. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi bhazen. I don't know of anyone in seattle carrying Exposure equipment. If I go that route, i will buy used online. My go-to place is Hawthorne Stereo here in Seattle. Great place and staff. very low key. And they sell used equipment.

5. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

thats exactly what i'm looking for in an amp. Thank you Squiggsy68!

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd go for the Exposure myself. The 3010S2 was a decent amp, and I'd expect the 2010 to be the same. That said, there's a bunch around that price you could reasonably take into account as well if you weren't in a rush. I'd also suggest the likes of Sony's 670 or 770ES amps or the likes of Harman Kardon's HK6050. Powerful, clean sounding and you'd land one for substantially less than the other two.

WapatoWolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.