iPod Classic Is Gone, Which Portable MP3 Player Do You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oneslip17, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

If you mean, how much are they going for on eBay, then anywhere between £100 and £200. If you're asking how much would I sell mine for - I would just plonk it on eBay and see what happens.

I did this for my Project turntable earlier this year with a starting bid of £10 and it went for £142, when it cost £110 brand new in 2002. :confused: So, anything can happen.

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

How about a Tascam DR-07 that can accept up to 2496 wav files. Or you might consider the Sony PCM-M10 that does the same for about $220. SDHC cards are cheap. I use all of mine with Eneloop rechargeable batteries. The new DR-22 and DR-44 even have wifi

psulioninks likes this.
  3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would, except I don't have any retail locations anywhere near me.

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

5. oneslip17

I broke down earlier and did what I thought was the smart thing and bought a 64 gig iPod touch as a replacement for my iPod Classic 160. Worst decision ever. Besides severely limiting my music choices due to very little hard drive space, the iPod touch seems incredibly buggy. First of all, in the artist selection, albums are NOT in alphabetical order. So finding the precise album I'm looking for by a certain artist is chaos. Certain artwork for albums is incorrect and constantly changes (even though in iTunes it is correctly assigned). And the touch does not sound nearly as good as my classic. Very weak, stale and no bass. Pardon my language, but this is F***ing Bulls***. I'm pissed off. The iPod touch is a vastly inferior unit compared to the classic. If I hadn't have waited so long to sort this out (I leave for my next ship in two days), I could have chosen the Fiios, Sony or Tascam unit. If anyone is considering replacing their classic iPod with a touch, get something else. I don't think Apple will ever receive another dime of my money.

6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Other than the capacity issue, things aren't as bad as you think they are. Could the album titles issue be caused by leading spaces?

Example:
    Greatest Hits
    Greatest Hits
    The second greatest hits has 3 spaces in front of it.

This can screw things up.

The artwork problem - itunes substitutes artwork if it isn't embedded. Go into "Get Info" in itunes, and check the artwork tab to see if there is embedded artwork - if not, put in the correct artwork.

Sound issues - check you EQ settings.

As for the capacity issue - I recently read about a wireless external drive that can add capacity to ipads. It might work with ipods touch devices too.

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for your report. As long as you don't have any funky EQ settings as colinu points out, that is disappointing.

8. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Wow! Tell us how you really feel! Steve Jobs, God rest his soul, would slap you if he read this post! :D:D

9. oneslip17

I checked the spacing, and it was as it should be. I directly copied everything from my old iPod to the new one. All metadata, and text should be as it was on my old iPod (which was fine). And the artwork was is imbedded in the files as it should be. But for some reason, artwork keeps getting shuffled around to the wrong albums. Example: The Endless River, by Pink Floyd has had the cover art for my MFSL of Crime of the Century and Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La rotating most of the day today. And the EQ in the settings is flat, as it has always been on every iPod I have ever used. It just sounds bad that way, when on the classic iPods it has always sounded fine.

10. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Astrell & Kern is the way to go. But Holy Moses are they expensive.

11. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sell it. They go for close to the new price on ebay. A new one will sell in a flash. And hunt down a used classic with a new battery and hard drive installed. This seller does a good job refurbishing ipods. He's a pro at it: drspky123 Really, those are the only parts you have to worry about having been abused. I just bought another iPod video yesterday. $22 shipped but with a bad hard drive. I bought a 120gb new hard drive for $34. I'll install and have a great high capacity ipod with the best sound and the nice scroll wheel function rather than the dread touch screen fumbling for $55. I had a touch and hated it. The artwork was always a mess and albums would stay broken up into separate covers no matter every trick I tried. And, yes, the sound is anemic.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  13. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Is it possible the unit is defective?

14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Got the 3rd gen Touch and hesrd a 5.5 gen Classic with Wolfson DAC. The supposed audiophile one. The Touch wins hands down. Point is, it depends on which you are comparing. The two were never constant as Apple changed the DAC they used in each. Consequently, it's impossible to generalise.

15. colinu

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  16. colinu

I think this may be the problem. Do you not have a computer with itunes and all your music library on it?

17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I don't think so. I got an iPhone earlier this year and was also quite shocked that the native music player did not list an artist's album titles in any kind of coherent A-Z,0-9 sequence. Did some googling and found out that it is not a bug but in fact how the player runs. I ended up downloading the "Picky" music player app which sorts album titles alphebetically.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You actually present an interesting theoretical test case. Would Pono with a superior DAC improve SQ even on stock iPod earbuds? It might. I'm not familiar with the headphones you ask about but I suspect nobody would endorse your idea of spending that much on a portable DAC and then using low end cans. Just so you know, Bose are not highly regarded on this forum (considered over priced, marketed for yuppies, etc) but I had a pair that I enjoyed for about 10 years.

My advice is that since you live near Pono HQ, try to find a dealer in Bay Area and test one out. I also suggest you search this hardware forum for both "headphones < $200" and "portable DACs" to read up on these topics. Lastly you might pm someone like @Ham Sandwich to get some guidance - he seems quite knowledgable about these matters but I suspect he will advise you to increase your budget to at least $500-$600 for the combo you are seeking. Good luck!

19. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Fiio X1 or X3 with a 128gb microSD card.

ShallowMemory and jeffsab like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wonder if that is an iOS issue. Have you updated iTunes on your computer recently?

21. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Great reply. I heard the same thing about Bose and may not have sprung for them but some of guys I flew with got me some with a Creative Labs MP3 player when I was injured and stuck in the hospital for so long. I honestly thought they sounded amazing compared to the cheap ones I had been using for so long. I had been slow to move into the digital music age and was still lunking around a Discman which made me quite the laughing stock with all the young enlisted kids in my squadron who were running around with their iPods. Pono definitely interests me but I'm trying to learn if its the circuitry or the format that makes the biggest difference. If it takes off a bit and gets a good library, I'll probably invest in one but I'm hoping that one of the big hitters tries to bring the hi-rez format to mass market so there is a little competition in that space. I just get so little time with my component system now that I'll really be forced to enjoy music in private for the foreseeable future.

22. I've been using the Fiio X1 for about a week, sounds great with Sony V6 headphones and high res. (mostly from DVD-A's), good CD's sound better than ipods as well on the X1. Waiting for my Pono, but have setup a bunch of microSD cards with wav and flac hi-res and normal res.

Have heard a friends X3, but was so long ago, can't really compare unless side by side.

23. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I hope to hear what your impressions are when you receive your Pono.

ampguy likes this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

We all would. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.