THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW – 1962-1986 12 DVD box set from Reelin' In The Years Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dm84

Dm84 New Member

Hi, does the DVD set have English subtitles/captions by any chance? I saw a press release document online that seems to say yes, but can't find a confirmation anywhere else.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, I just checked a disc for you. Sorry.

3. Dm84

Dm84 New Member

Thanks for such a quick response. I thought it might be a bit too much to expect subtitles given how many hours of content are spread across the set! Am still very excited to pick it up nonetheless.

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Why is this set under review at Amazon?

5. reelinintheyears

reelinintheyears Active Member

Just found out about this today. apparantly some of the boxes were damaged and so because a few people complained Amazon outfit in hold which makes no sense to me at all. It's supposed to be resolved shortly.

6. reelinintheyears

We wanted it but yes with 40 plus hours of interviews MPI didn't want to spend the cash and as much as we would liked to have had it done we understand.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! Just got it for $57 on Amazon using a $10 off Green Monday coupon!!!! Could not pass up on it at this price after reading the reviews.

Myke likes this.
  8. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Is there a way to find out which musical acts are presented on this set?

9. Myke

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

That last interview of Orson Welles alone has left me satisfied with this set. Just tons of great stuff.

Myke likes this.
  11. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I still can remember stuff from his show.

Bette Midler covered in balloons playing cello. Probably before anybody knew who she was. She seemed pretty bizarre.

Henry Morgan reading lyrics to the Beatles' "Hello Goodbye" trying his hardest to make fun of them and Merv taking up for 'em..."but what about great songs like "Eleanor Rigby?" he asked Morgan. My mother agreed with Merv..."yeah that's right" she said.

MkI Deep Purple was on his show. Wonder if that rare appearance would be in this set?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Myke likes this.
  13. reelinintheyears

Sorry but all of those great moments no longer exist. It breaks my heart when I see log sheets containing rundowns of thousands of shows that are gone but as I've said many times before, 2,500 hours survived including 300 shows on 2 Inch tape from 1965-1967 so there's so much more we hope to do. The 42 hours is just a fraction of the gems in this archive of which virtually none has been seen since it's initial airing (including the TV show collectors)

Please help us by writing reviews on Amazon which helps with sales so that MPI will want to invest in more releases.

Thanks,

David Peck
    Reelin' In The Years Productions

14. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

15. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones - I think this is one of their first american appearances.

Damiano54 likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Thanks for uploading this, Mooseman. I'd like to see a Mike Douglas Show DVD/Blu-ray box set released some time, similar
    to the Merv Griffin one.

Marshall

mooseman likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yikes! 1986 was a much different year than 1966. I think Merv wrapped up his show right around then... yeah, just checked Wikipedia and the last show was September 1986. I believe he sold TAV and the theater on Vine Street right around 1986-1987 and they began razing the block to make way for bad condominiums and storefronts, which is how it is now. Only a tiny part of the theater facade still remains.

19. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

So, after Merv sold TAV and the theater, he then bought the Beverly Hilton Hotel not too long after that.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I remember at the time Donald Trump chortling that Griffin had made a bad deal on the hotel. But I think Merv had the last laugh: he still sound up having billions of dollars at the time of his death.

It's said that Johnny Carson has lamented that after he retired from the Tonight Show, he had a couple of hundred million dollars, while Merv Griffin -- a very bland, hokey talk show at best -- had billions of dollars because of the game shows he created and the real estate he owned. No question, making money in Hollywood is rarely about talent; it's more about luck and timing.

kwadguy likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

22. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Although I watched the show in the 60's and enjoyed it, I wish they would release DVD's of just the musical acts from each time period.

23. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

24. Myke

$7.00 cheaper than October 2014.

25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I just want to say "THANK YOU" for helping put together this whole set. Was watching it tonight (as my wife and I do now and then) and it's just such a fantastic set. Amazing how real everything seemed back then, and how fake things seem on today's talk shows. My guess is because they had less commercials which made more time for the guests to feel relaxed (like Howard Stern's interviews in the past few years) and not rushed.

Once again, thank you for putting this great set together.

Any chance for more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.