Would you buy an Oppo BDP-105 now (as opposed to another player)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Bumping my earlier post ... I connected my NuForce to the Oppo with a coaxial cable but it doesn't make any difference. The sound still comes through the TV and not through the headphones (connected to the NuForce).

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

As you have found, the only input on this DAC/headamp is the USB. All the other connectors are outputs.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Hey guys I am thinking about getting a BDP-105 and want to know if I use the device app to access my audio files, as during critical listening I cover my plasma with a room treatment and would be a pain if I needed use of it as a monitor.
    This may be something that will be very useful to me. I have a very complicated system with some outdated gear and to make it work I currently use a HTPC for everything one for audio and one for movies. My hope is The BDP-105 would take over. My Bryston SP 1.7 pre/pro only has 5.1 analog audio inputs no HDMI. So to make it work I use the volume from player software and balance the channels with the Bryston volume set to 12:00 and run the back channel to the amp directly. Will the BDP-105 preamp also control the 7.1 analog outpus?
    Will the 7.1 analog outputs pass unmolested HD audio streams like DTSHDMA and will they pass through the USB?

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

You can use one of their iPad apps for this.

If you want to play all formats including multichannel, you will need to use directly connected USB storage to the Oppo's 2 USB-A ports or, as I do, an SMB-capable NAS connected via ethernet.

Yes.

Not sure how to answer that. Have you looked at the specs and manual?

ghost rider likes this.
  5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Word.

I'll never buy an expensive blu-ray player again, hear me God.

A cheap player for discs and a Roku for streaming and you're all set.

Brother_Rael and Ntotrar like this.
  6. ghost rider

Thanks I think this may work. Oppo did respond with confirming some of this I may hear back with more answers from them later.
    So my wifes Iphone 6 will work but my current windows phone may not, I see an Iphone in my future.

7. ghost rider

I have several cheap players and no they will not do what I'm asking.

8. ghost rider

Yes I did and it doesn't really say or I didn't see it. They did get into those kind of details.

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Why Not? The UD7007 IS a universal player, with an emphasis on Audio Quality.
    the beave

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Like I said, their emphasis is on Audio First, Their SACD player has the digital inputs that make it a DAC w/transport.
    a lot of people who have had 'universal' players in the past, myself included, found them lacking when in a trad Stereo system. Drove me nuts trying to just play a DVD A without having a monitor hooked up to it. I think that Marantz, in the UD5007 and 7007 have addressed that and people like myself, who really don't care that much about 'home theatre' and want Audio to be the major factor in my system, these units are much more user friendly than a unit like the OPPO.
    But, for those who will uses ALL the features the OPPO have, then that is a great machine to have. It just goes to what floats your boat. With me it's Audio first, The Blu-Ray and DVD's are for the wife to watch while I listen to some Miles............
    the beave

Billy Budapest likes this.
  11. ghost rider

Well the Oppo is looking like my early Christmas present. Oppo just confirmed all and the Iphone or Android device will work for remote on screen assess.
    My last question Oppo will likely get back to me before I get this posted. Being that I currently us my HTPC and the Oppo will replace that, I will still have the best of both worlds by using the HDMI input I should be able to play from the player software on my computer into the HDMI input and the unmolested audio will pass to the 7.1 analog outputs.
    Anyone not familiar before HDMI it was a big deal, player software downsampled the audio over the analogs on a HTPC.

12. ghost rider

Looking at the manual I think the HDMI input will not pass the dtshdma audio but the JRivers MC20 player will decode it as I’m currently doing and pass the audio in PCM.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Unfortunately, the Marantz UD7007 has one sluggish interface. They fumbled the ball on that one on a grand scale and I've no idea why. Otherwise the player is good, but I'm not so sure it's £1000 worth of good. That said, it does what it does well, but I do find that interface can be a pain. By contrast, an older Denon universal player I had (DVD-3930) had better build and was very responsive. Sound quality was excellent too.

14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I recently replaced my Denon 3930 with an Oppo 105, because the Denon stopped playing SACDs. As much as I loved my 3930, the Oppo sounds just as good to me, but offers so much more options. I have no regrets so far.

Metralla likes this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Which would be just as well, I guess. I have no way of giving out DTS-HD MA over HDMI from my PC, but I would be surprised if the Oppo wouldn't accept it if my PC could give out the unchanged signal. I might be wrong, though.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No worries, I was simply pointing out that the Marantz interface was sluggish against the Denon, a player that had come out back in 2006 I think. I was disappointed I must admit. Might be looking to a Yamaha BDA-1040.

wolfram likes this.
  17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

But this thread is about the 105 rather than the 103...

18. ghost rider

I took home a floor model and it does work well. I have a few issues One because my back channel is running strait to the power amp I do not have enough gain to lower it for a correct channel balance. I set it to -10 and other channels are up to +3 or 3 give or take. So I need an attenuator something to lower that level. Anyone care to take a guess on what that value should be?

I also have the same ground loop I had with by computer analog out. So the Art T8 8 ch ground loop isolator I hoped to remove worked here as well.

It seems the back channel only works for 6.1 or 7.1 mixes I’m used to being able to force it.

Also I can see I’m going to have to figure out a better way to set my audio file structures. Currently I just have the whole album on one file with makers for tracks. I’m thinking if I save each track as a region I may be able to skip forward.

That’s all I could figure out in one day. I like it and hope I can make it work.

19. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I owned both for a while, and via analog outs, the Sony was vastly better: greater depth, clarity, and overall realism. Via HDMI, the differences were negligible. I recently sold my Sony and bought an Esoteric K-03--now THAT is an entirely different universe of sound! Magnify the improvement of the Sony over the Oppo by 2x or so, and you are in the ball park. Of course, it costs nearly 10x what those players cost, but life is too short for mediocre sound, right? ;)

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Wow. Nice. I had a similar experience moving up from a Logitech Transporter to Cary 306. Quite a price jump, but power supplies and analog stages at that level aren't cheap.

I do agree that entry level sound should not be confused with what you're getting with a K-03. And the K-03 will take a beating at next the level of insane spending! LOL. We all have to find our own sweet spot, but I do wish that the notion that DACs don't vary greatly in sound quality could be dispelled.

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm guessing that would be Esoteric's $92,000 Grandioso system!

[​IMG]

(The DACs are dual mono, so needs two of them.)

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Heady stuff, but that's Vivaldi territory and I'd prefer the dCS. I only need the Vivaldi player and the DAC so I can save approx $30k. ;)

24. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

92K :yikes: The '105 with some of Dan's Modwright handy work and I'd call it a fabulous day at less than 4K.

[​IMG]

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very nice! I wish I had the cash but if I had I'm going for a new set of Salk speakers (Veracity STs) :).

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.