New Foo Fighters album 'Sonic Highways' out November 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I have no idea what you're trying to say

2. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I admit, it could have easily backfired and been embarrassingly awful if they'd done that. Even if it were great--and I think Dave Grohl is more than capable of crafting great songs in a variety of styles--it might not flow very well as a record. I get that. For me, the issue is that they built this album around a gimmick that they were challenging themselves and attempting a new method of songwriting...when it's by far the safest and most paint-by-numbers Foo Fighters release ever.

Foo Fighters are my favorite current mainstream band, and paint-by-numbers Foo Fighters is still awesome, but I called out Alice in Chains (another band I love) for their last release, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, consisting mostly of predictable riffs and lyrics that Jerry Cantrell could have written in his sleep. As much as I love Dave Grohl and do dig the new album for the most part, for better or worse he delivered exactly what you'd expect him to deliver here. Say what you will about Billy Corgan, but he refuses to follow a formula--sometimes that results in dull, self-indulgent material; other times, it takes you over with its sheer exciting awesomeness.

Part of it also is that they had a hard act to follow in Wasting Light, which was truly excellent. That was also based around a gimmick of sorts (recording analog), and the songs didn't exactly break the Foo Fighters mold either...but as I said before, they were firing on all cylinders and delivered something incredible. I just feel like they lost the momentum. Same goes for AiC; their first post-Layne album was better than it had any right to be, so there were high expectations for the follow-up. FWIW, I would take Sonic Highways over TDPDH any day.

Burning Tires likes this.
  3. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

The Wikipedia says they recorded 13 songs so it'll be interesting to see how those songs fit in to all this or where and how they were created when the inevitable "deluxe" edition comes out.

The show usually uses regional music but it was slightly jarring in the New Orleans episode when they used "Month Of Sundays" by Don Henley and "Big Love" by Fleetwood Mac as incidental music. Do either of those have a New Orleans connection that escapes me?

4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I saw that it sold over 100k in its first week. But i also read that the sold over 300k of Wasting Light in its first week in 2011. I didn't even know they sold that many copies back then.

5. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of the "Chicago" LP today. Gave it a good clean and gave it a listen- no complaints here. A good, strong record imo.
    Packaging and pressing is nice a swell. If new bands put this out as a debut ,

6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

And that's saying something considering he came from Nirvana.

7. motionoftheocean

it's saying nothing because it's meaningless

onionmaster and GentleSenator like this.
  8. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

IMO, I think people who don't like Foo (whether they realize it or will admit it) don't like them because of their popularity. Queens of the Stone Age get more acclaim because they're less popular commercially. For me, I could give a s*** if a band is popular or not. I like good music, which I think Foo delivers.

9. Imagine the hate if he fell off his bicycle!

10. motionoftheocean

I don't hate the Foo Fighters, but I happen to regard QOTSA as a vastly superior band. And when Dave collaborates with Josh Homme it's the best of both world.

11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Even with the oversaturation, Dave has no charisma. His band is average rock. What's unique about the Foo Fighters?

12. motionoftheocean

Do you even know who Dave Grohl is?

13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You're big on defending this guy. What are you getting out of his music? I've gotten the same record for the past 20 years.

14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Nothing but some great songs here and there. No different than any other band to ever exist.

15. OK. We get it. You don't like Grohl. Is your only purpose here to trash him (based on a Pitchfork review you've read)?

chodad and GentleSenator like this.
  16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Lol wut? He is the single most charismatic bloke in rock ! Probably in all genres. You need to check your meds.

Rocketdog likes this.
  17. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

They are both trolls and you shouldn't feed them. If they weren't, they wouldn't be posting so consistently in a thread about someone they don't like. Just add them to your ignore list and move on. People who don't like certain music have a tendency to think they are better than those who do.

I have all the Foo Fighters albums apart from the new one (I was waiting for the inevitable Special Edition, because 8 tracks is not enough for me to pay full price these days). I like things on all the albums, but the only ones I'd call totally consistent are the self-titled and There Is Nothing Left To Lose. From my perspective, Dave Grohl is best when he is doing the rocky power pop he does so well, and not that interesting when he's doing screamy noise rock or alt-rock ballads.

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Doing it old school for tickets to their upcoming tour.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-foo-fighters-fans-brave-the-cold-for-concert-tickets-1.2114967#

To reduce the chances of diehard fans missing out, the Foo Fighters gave the first crack at their upcoming North American tour to those willing to show up in person at a box office on Saturday.

They called the special sales “Beat the Bots” -- a reference to the computer programs that scalpers use to scoop up large numbers of tickets as soon as they go on sale.

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-f...d-for-concert-tickets-1.2114967#ixzz3JvzOxe00

[​IMG]

19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was able to get pit for the show at Fiddlers Green in Denver. I loved that they did this!

20. jmcgoldrick

jmcgoldrick Forum Resident

FYI, at gohastings.com, they have Sonic Highways on vinyl for 13.18 shipped.

Their shipping can be a little dicey, but still a great deal at more than 50% off

JasonA likes this.
  21. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Love this album.

johnny 99 likes this.
  22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

In addition:

Watched Dave's interview with Jon Stewart last night and my appreciation for this album just keeps growing.

Plus that album cover is pretty awesome, too.

[​IMG]

23. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Worse , all songs sound the same...

RelayerNJ likes this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Of course, that's an exaggeration. They have rockers and ballads and acoustics songs. They don't all sound the same.

DLant likes this.
  25. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Well it now looks like Foo Fighters are entering the big leagues of this forum along with U2 and Springsteen.
    ie.: there is no end to the hate for them and criticism towards them...
    Shame, because their new album (like their last two) is really terrific.

Vinylsoul 1965 and DLant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.