I like Bobby Goldsboro. So sue me. Watch him sing "Little Things", great song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this thread is literally the first time I've ever heard or seen the name "Bobby Goldsboro."

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Is there a good sounding compilation that contains the original mixes of his 1960s hits?

3. ImADrifter

ImADrifter Forum Resident

Here's the reason for that Orbison sound. Per http://www.classicbands.com/BobbyGoldsboroInterview.html:
    I had written the song and was just about to record it when "Pretty Woman" came out. I'd been with Orbison for years. He was like a brother to me. When I heard "Pretty Woman", I had a 2-4 beat to "Little Things" and I put a 4-4 beat because I heard "Pretty Woman", which to me made it even better. So again, had I not heard Roy's song I might have had a whole different beat on the song.

Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles recently did a little "Led Goldsboro" analysis of the song. Per her Twitter account:
    I think Bobby Goldsboro may have influenced Led Zeppelin... Submitted for your approval, my Pro Tools experiment!
    https://soundcloud.com/riffsemblance/led-goldsboro

I wish that more of Bobby Goldsboro's recordings were made available on compact disc. There are hundreds of great songs that are only available on used vinyl/tape.

McLover and Saint Johnny like this.
  4. I hate this song. The Orbison at least has elements of Roy....although I'd rather hear Roy do it. I have to admit the Orbison collaboration made me rethink Bobby a bit.

5. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

There is a fantastic interview with Bobby on Micheal Shelly s radio show on WFMU.org ..All Micheal s interviews are archived with some amazing guests.. He asks questions mostly about the music . Our host would be a natural...

6. ImADrifter

The high, harmony vocals were actually done by Bobby's friend Ray Stevens, of "Everything is Beautiful" and novelty song fame. Decades later, Stevens also did the harmony vocals on the re-recorded versions of "Little Things" and "It's Too Late" that are commonly available on download and compact disc.

McLover likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Tried to place the second voice for years, thanks.

8. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I haven't read the whole. But I will.
    I do agree "Little Things" is a stone classic piece of AM radio gold. One my all time favorites.

I just recently read an interview with Bobby.
    I did not even know he was Roy Orbison's touring guitar player as a teenager, before he went solo. He also said in that interview that "Little Things" was totally 'inspired" by "Pretty Woman".
    He had written it originally with a different arrangement in mind but changed it at the last minute after hearing "Pretty Woman".

Ok I searched, here's the link to the interview.
    http://www.classicbands.com/BobbyGoldsboroInterview.html

9. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Thanks to the OP for starting this one. A lot of fascinating information (new to me) here just 5 pages in.

I was a kid with my transistor radio when "Honey" came out, and did buy the single back then. Also remember "Watching Scotty Grow" (my favorite - so far - now i see there are a lot of singles and lp tracks i've never heard yet), "The Straight Life", and "The Autumn Of My Life".

I found a greatest hits cd for cheap money about 8 years or so ago and picked it up just so i could hear those songs again. Looks like i need to investigate that "Legendary Masters" cd, though, for great sound and more unheard material.

Great thread!

10. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

11. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

The mono mix of Little Things as heard on the United Artists 45 has not appeared on CD, correct?

Ron Furmanek did a nice job with that Bobby Goldsboro compilation and I highly recommend it but the version of Little Things there is in stereo. The stereo mix is fine but when I listen to Little Things I still reach for my old UA 45 or my needledrop of it. I just like that little extra punch heard on the mono version.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, the mono mix is still Mono LP/45 RPM only.

I Love Music likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, with Thanksgiving here today (Happy Thanksgiving all!), I find it a fair time to begin spinning the Christmas songs. This 45 is now in my SEEBURG "R" jukebox for the holidays!

McLover likes this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

And it's flip-side ...

15. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

No, you're not.:evil:

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I always thought Honey got a bad rap. It's nothing I'd listen to by choice but it ain't that bad.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ron Furmanek kindly sent me a vintage CD of the EMI BOBBY GOLDSBORO comp he did back in 1991. I fired up my best system, sat down in the sweet spot and thought I might spot check each of the songs, well, surprise. I sat there and listened to the entire 23 song disk, loved every minute of it.

The sound quality is amazing. You can hear when they switched out different vocal mikes, how they did some wacky stereo drum stuff and how nicely dynamic Ron's mixes are. I know when Ron works on a project he goes crazy, just like I do, no stone unturned, no file unexplored to find the best sounding version of a given song.

I was stunned to hear some of these songs again, like the one that sounds a bit like Ricky Nelson doing a "Do You Want To Know A Secret" vibe thing, think it's called "I Don't Know You Anymore."

Most of these songs I hadn't heard since I was a kid and I had a BOBBY'S GREATEST HITS LP on UA at one time because many of the songs I'd heard many times, but I remember the sound quality on the LP was just terrible, no bass whatsoever, a very thin, hard sound. That's now fixed and the songs sound open and full.

The songs, like a time machine. When I got to "If You've Got A Heart" I almost fell off my chair. I used to love this song, forgot all about it until about an hour ago. Many more songs on the disk like that for me. This one is a keeper.

If you love Bobby, I think Ron mentioned that his mixes with this track listing is currently available on Collector's Choice or something? Is that right? Hope so, worth it for you to find it.

BTW, "Little Things" is a very powerful mix, it rocks nicely as they all do. Sounds really great, better than any version I'd heard before.

Oh, the radio spots at the end were a surprise. They don't do 'em like that anymore.

Thanks again, Ron for the disk. Nice work, buddy.

McLover and I Love Music like this.
  18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I think you have to be of a certain vintage. Bobby G was probably one of the first artists I ever heard. When I was a little kid, my parents, other relatives and various family friends all seemed to have Bobby Goldsboro LPs and 8 tracks. I hadn't actually listened to Bobby Goldsboro in many years and I bought an old double LP comp on United Artists (a comp I remember seeing as a child) called
    The Tenth Anniversary Album and it was *eerie* hearing some of these songs again after more than 30 years. I still remembered most of them. Definitely not something to impress your friends with but I'm glad I bought the album to revisit.

19. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I like Bobby Goldsboro too, as well as the Partridge Family, Tony Orlando and Dawn, The Cowsills, and lots of other so-called Pop/Rock "fluff" from the Top 40 at the time. I don't care, so sue me too!

(BTW, I like Deep Purple, The Who, Stones, Yes, and many other "Hard Rock/Prog Rock" groups as well. Basically, anything from the 60s and 70s that sounded good to my ears, and still does today)

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The problem is like Melanie with Brand New Key, Bobby is that Honey guy. I liked him before Honey. To me Honey is a good song that actually makes me cry and did then. Tailor made for Goldsboro. But to me, I liked Broomstick Cowboy and Voo Doo Woman(man that is a freakin' STOMPER) much better. And Its Too Late is in that group as well.

21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I say "God bless the 60s " when I hear "what the heck" rhymed with "kissed my neck".

22. The People v Steve Hoffman

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

First I ever heard of Bobby Goldboro was The Bobby Goldsboro Show. I think it was on Sunday nights.

I was just a twig (sorry)

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

:laugh:

25. ImADrifter

For anyone who will be in the central Florida area in mid-January, tickets went on sale today for a Bobby Goldsboro concert at The Villages on Sunday, January 18, 2015.
    http://www.thevillagesentertainment...5d/In-Concert-An-Evening-with-Bobby-Goldsboro
    Bobby hasn't done a concert since March of 2013, so this will be a rare treat.

He will also be meeting the public at art showings of his beautiful oil paintings in Naples, Florida, on December 11th, and at The Villages, Florida, on January 25th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.