Constantine TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Thought I would start a separate thread on the TV show as the movie was a decade ago and is different than the series (which appears to be much more faithful to the comic book).

I enjoyed the premiere. Did it cover ground other series did? Sure but Constantine covered mic of it first as a co if do I will cut the producer some slack for now.

2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I hope they do a tie in with the swamp thing. I did like to hellblazer comic book as a kid. I thought the movie was okay they took quite a few liberties but the overall story line was pretty good which was borrowed from a few of the graphic novels I believe. The TV series is closer to what I imagine him looking like except that he should be chain-smoking constantly. Guess you can't do that anymore on TV. I watched the first two and the plots are okay it seems to be similar to an X-Files creature of the week type deal. And they're pretty faithful to fact that everyone who works with him gets killed or hurt in someway. Don't tell Alan Moore about this though he'll go bonkers.

3. wayneklein

The third episode is an improvement over the second which was a "new" pilot introducing Zed to the series as Goyer decided to take the series in a different direction eliminating the other female side kick (they reshot scenes explaining her absence before airing the pilot).

NBC nixed the chain smoking.

Nice that they introduced Papa Midnight in this episode.

The ratings dropped with the second episode which was distinctly weaker than the first. I hope that they allow this to build an audience. They are airing in the "death zone" i.e., 9pm on Fridays. if it holds some of the audience for "Grimm" that would help ensure it sticks around hopefully.

I like the show.

It's not perfect but well made. It improves on the movie quite a bit.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The third episode went up a tenth to a 1.0 rating, that's about 2 million people less than Grimm averages. I don't think NBC has anything to replace it with until Hannibal is ready to go so I have a feeling they'll give it a few more weeks before making a decision.

5. wayneklein

I honestly hope it sticks around. I always liked the Constantine character and felt that it was poorly developed for the film compared to the source. It has potential and would be nice to have around after shows like "Supernatural" bite the dust.

6. progrocker71

I'm really looking forward to the show iZombie which is a mid-season replacement show coming on the CW. From Rob Thomas, creator of Veronica Mars.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So...it's a show about Apple fanatics? :D

8. progrocker71

:righton:

Here's the official synopsis:

A medical student who becomes a zombie joins a Coroner's Office in order to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat so that she can maintain her humanity but every brain she eats, she also inherits their memories and must now solve their deaths with help from the Medical examiner and a police detective.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So...a Veronica Mars zombie reboot? Oh Rob, I didn't think you'd jump on the stupid me-too zombie bandwagon. Disappointing.

10. progrocker71

Or, you could do the intelligent thing and wait until the pilot is released and actually judge the show on the quality instead of your pre-conceived notions.

When I heard the description of Veronica Mars I thought "oh great, a variation on Nancy Drew". I was predisposed to dislike it, but the quality of the show showed me I was an idiot.

P.S. - The series is based on a DC Comics series that began in 2010. So it's an adaptation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah, I choose to do the dumb thing and ignore all zombie related material.

12. progrocker71

Enjoy your elitism.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Cheers, I intend to. Enjoy your mediocrity. :)

14. wayneklein

Sounds like it has an interesting premise. An interesting twist on the procedural shows. I'll have to check it out to see if its any good.

15. progrocker71

The pilot for Constantine I thought was fairly mediocre, it felt undercooked. I'll probably wait and see if it's going to get cancelled before I invest more time in the following episodes. I did like the lead actor, but that was about it.

16. wayneklein

It had its moments certainly although it wasn't an out-of-the-ballpark home run. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give a chance because, if we don't, it'll be cancelled anyway. The third episode was pretty good.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That sounds so bizarre that it might work.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. wayneklein

If nothing else it's imaginative...hopefully she'll never have kids. If she does can you imgine a tantrum when they haven't had their brains?

19. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

You should check out Z NATION though, it is pretty great and I am currently watching episode 7 and it just gets better and better ........... the cast developed a great chemistry, story not too cliche so far and the occasional humor ist great - this is a winner in my book.

20. Episode three. Man talk about the loudness wars killing !!

21. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

So how is this "Constantine" series doing so far ? Watchworthy ?

22. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I continue to watch. Glad the humour continues as well:
    "The only magic my oldman did was making a pint disappear.." :)

23. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I've always been a big fan of the Hellblazer comics and the character. The series is ok, but it would be nice to see them start tying together some of the story lines they are introducing from the comics instead of these one off episodes of paranormal murder investigations etc. I'm not too sold on them introducing the superhero aspect into the series like Dr Fate's helmet or The Spectre instead of it being a gothic horror like the original comics and I don't really like that Chas' character has healing powers, but we will see where it all leads. The Swamp Thing being introduced into the series could have potential.

Anyway, I will keep watching, I'm actually really impressed that NBC is even attempting to do this as a series, but it hasn't yet captured the character and his world that I'm expecting. I think it may have been better served by a cable company like HBO / Showtime to get a darker more mature feel to it. I actually really like the guy playing Constantine, he does a good job and looks the part.

I also wish one of Alan Moores creations could actually be done without trying to make it palpable to a broader audience. Basically all of his stuff turns into crap when converted to the big screen (From Hell, V for Vendetta, Watchman, League of Extraordinary Gentleman). Look at Game of Thrones, they stuck to the series literally at the beginning and people loved it and it opened up a huge following by just being done right and sticking to the story how it was originally written.

24. progrocker71

NBC halted production on Constantine, deciding not to go forward with the back 9 episodes. Not officially canceled (yet).

25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

We watched it for the first time last night, and enjoyed it. The plot was nothing unique, but the lead has a lot of charisma. I was surprised there isn't a gorgeous female partner, as most TV shows follow that pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.