Rolling Stones vs. The Who: Which group has the better B-sides, Rarities, Outtakes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tdavis0903, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The Who is better in every possible way to me, whatever category is being compared between these two groups. :shrug:

Bill, J_D__ and WhoTapes1 like this.
  2. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

^What "applebonkerz" just said!

applebonkerz likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In terms of what The Who have officially released from the archives; I think their archival output is superior. Considering the wealth of material found on Who's Missing, Two's Missing, and Odds N Sods along with all of the substantive bonus material found on My Generation DE, A Quick One, Sell Out (plus the DE), Who's Next, Live At Leeds box set, Tommy box set, View From A Back Stage Pass, and even Who By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances -- it would be hard pressed to assert The Rolling Stones have come even remotely close from an audio standpoint. In addition to Metamorphosis, The Stones released the extremely underwhelming Rarities and Ya-Ya's box set releases along with reworked bonus tracks on Exile On Main Street and Some Girls. Granted, the downloads of shows from 73, 75, 81, 82, 90, 05 were an unexpected surprise (although initially disappointing that they were exclusively downloads), but even so, the prime touring years such as 1969, 1970, and 1971 have gone largely ignored. Both acts have produced some good live DVD products in terms of content, not necessarily footage quality or sound. Considering there is a lot of studio outtake material still in the vaults by The Rolling Stones, it is hard to assert they have done a better job getting it out there. I give the nod to The Who.

Dave Hoos and WhoTapes1 like this.
  4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

The Who, by a ridiculously wide margin. Just a superior band top to bottom.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Very well said.

J_D__ likes this.
  6. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Yeah, this is almost not a fair fight. While I absolutely adore everything the Stones released through Tattoo You, the Who's non-album output almost matches their core catalog, for me. I'm constantly surprised by how often I'll find myself reaching for "Jaguar," "Melancholia," "In The City," "When I Was A Boy," etc. before anything from Tommy or Who's Next. Granted, that's got something to do with burn out of course, but the Who's 60s-early 70s catalog is DEEP. If we're talking about officially released albums during the same period, then I'll have to think a little harder on it, but speaking strictly B-sides/rarities, it's the Who all the way.

Of course, the other side is that collecting all the Who's various takes/mixes can be a real Sasquatch hunt.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Almost an impossible task and a significant headache and source of confusion.

8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I'm still trying to work out which compilations I don't have to get because they have no unique versions. For example, if I have Maximum R&B, Ultimate Collection, Then And Now, Who Hits 50, Who's Missing/Two's Missing and Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy... do I really need My Generation: The Very Best Of The Who and/or Greatest Hits?

And finally getting around to the main question...I love both bands equally, but when it comes to rarities, B-sides, alternate versions or alternate mixes...it's The Who. Pretty comprehensively too.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You forgot John Entwistle?- he wrote about 20 songs for The Who. Additionally, his first two solo albums are arguably better than the later Who albums.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Except live, where they blow the Stones off the stage.

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.