Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

If I like FTD's Tucson '76 -- which I do -- then FTD is not the label for me? I think we got a bad connection...

Funny that you mentioned New Haven 76, though POB. Seriously, I was playing that last night! It's a rough one!

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Elvis was having fun with it! ;)

GroovinGarrett and artfromtex like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

First of all, I don't see anyone asserting that they have a superior opinion with greater merit. There are different points of view that people are entitled to make and it is a good thing to have open dialogue. And yes, this is a thread about FTD releases and some FTD releases arguably highlight some less-than-flattering Elvis performances, so it should be no surprise that some of the conversation covers opinions and explanations for why Elvis' work deteriorated.

Secondly, this is obviously the place to talk about Elvis In Florida. Do you have a copy of it yet? Do you have any thoughts about it? I think a lot of fans have not yet received or ordered copies yet, so some additional reviews would be helpful.

artfromtex likes this.
  4. Pants Party

I'm sure he was -- by numbing his sensibilities!

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with anyone stating opinion here. What I do have a big problem with, are people who continue to produce gigabytes of text not as opinion, but as undisputed, incontrovertible fact. And it is all way too predictable: someone posts they like a show or specific performance from the latter years, they get schooled, they fire back etc etc etc ...and there is nothing new under the sun.

I personally hope this thread veers off this topic because it has been beaten to death not just on this thread, but many other Presley threads as well. Some of us shun the later performances altogether and others are willing to hunt/peck for the diamonds in the rough - we should have all agreed to disagree a long time ago. But the mere mention of a great live version of song "X" from 1975 and beyond instantly evokes this debate and I disagree with you - I think it is derailing the conversation away from the topic at hand.

Anyway, yes I have Elvis In Florida. I have yet to listen to it, but I am sure I already know what I am in for: A few good versions, a few listless versions and that unbalanced soundboard sound. I will report back once I listen to the full thing - I wasn't planning on getting this one, it was gifted.

JQ

Shawn likes this.
  6. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Excellent post.Summed up 1970's Elvis extremely well.:thumbsup:

7. misko

misko Forum Resident

I think Elvis was great, but I am not a collector. I think FTD is one of the greatest ideas in the history of music collecting.

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

As someone new to the FTD market, what are some opinions on the top 5 or 10 Elvis FTD releases.

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Some of my favorites are the trio of American Sound releases and the gospel releases. On Stage and In Person are two of my live favorites.

Rick H. and SOONERFAN like this.
  10. Pants Party

I listed mine a few pages back, but as I think about it, you can't go wrong with any one of them -- since they represent well the material they cover. Any of the classic album releases, for example, are well done. So it's a matter of which albums you would like.

The soundtracks and later concerts obviously offer more dicey material, but they're more for hardcore fans of those eras. There's also a few nice compilations like Jungle Room that many like.

For the money, you cant go wrong with classic albums, since they're two discs for the same (high) price. But they're loaded with outtakes which may not be what you want. They can be great though -- revealing things Elvis' work-ethic, humor, anger and condition. Many of these studio sessions have become favorites as they offer a new perspective on certain performances and pieces.

Rick H. likes this.
  11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I think I know what you mean, certain posts in this thread have become yawn inducing. Talk about over analyzing a topic. I think most of us get the whole "Elvis in the 70's" issue by now - some good, some bad, he got bored, he got ill, he died. In a nutshell that's pretty much it. As someone who has all the FTDs and most of the available bootleg soundboards, I play them once then put them away - and I'll bet I'm not the only one who does this. Still like collecting them though.

Shawn and johnny q like this.
  12. Pants Party

Don't think it was mentioned yet, but the preorders are up for Christmas and Flamimg Star on ShopElvis. There's a nice bundle too, giving you another 10% off by getting both. On top of an insider discount, it brings the price down to $22 each.

Mr. H likes this.
  13. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree. Let the listener decide which is good and bad.

johnny q and Shawn like this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Wow, I really wish I had waited on Christmas now instead of buying it from Graceland. I just wanted to be sure I got my order in before they sold out.

15. Pants Party

I have never purchased from Graceland Insiders -- but I added these two to the cart, and their shipping was showing as almost $14 for two items. ShopE has 4.99 shipping for orders over $50 (which I think the bundle qualifies for) and free shipping on orders over $100.

16. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It's funny, although these two are relatively minor releases in the classic album series, I can't wait to get them, especially FS. Irrespective of content, the next two I'd like to see in 7" are King Creole (despite having the FTD book) and Elvis (68 Special).

17. PacificOceanBlue

On page 28 of this thread, I listed the following as an answer to a similar question:

Top Ten Classic Album Series:
    Elvis Is Back!
    In Person At The International Hotel
    From Elvis In Memphis
    That's The Way It Is
    Elvis Country
    Elvis Presley
    Jailhouse Rock, Vol. 2
    His Hand In Mine
    Something For Everybody
    Loving You

Top Ten Standard:
    The Wonder Of You
    On Tour - The Rehearsals
    Let Yourself Go
    The On Stage Season
    The Return To Vegas
    Silver Screen Stereo
    The Jungle Room Sessions
    Fame And Fortune
    From Elvis At American Sound
    The Way It Was

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. Pants Party

Yeah, me too. Great timing on the Christmas album of course - and can't wait to dig into Flaming Star!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I actually listened to Stay Away Joe today, different era, I know, but just a great Saturday album nonetheless. I love this one. I always play it straight through.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Goin' Home has been a favorite of mine for a long time. A great song. It more than makes up for that one about the bull.

Pants Party likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

Stay Away Joe certainly has its moments. There is something charming about it. The FTD edition is well done.

Pants Party likes this.
  21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean about SAJ, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the four remaining late 60s soundtracks.

Pants Party likes this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Just started listening to Elvis In Florida. Granted, uneven/unmixed sound is a given with these soundboard releases but this one is ridiculous. Ronnie Tutt's drums are pretty much absent throughout (with the exception of what sounds like a hi-hat) and some of the background singers are way too loud at times (and sometimes out of tune, sounds like Charlie Hodge.) Again, I say this at the risk of stating the obvious...these were reference only recordings not intended for release.

Still some good, solid Elvis vocal performances though, "Burning Love", "My Boy", "American Trilogy", "It's Midnight." Not surprising as these songs were typically performed well during this era. Even the version of "That's All Right" contained here is pretty good.

No doubt for completests only, especially if you already have the FTD's that document 75 or unofficial releases etc.

23. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

That's right, the comeback was his real last Word on Rock'n'roll music. After that, he would clearly deviate from there. The American Sessions in Memphis (1969) produced some of his finest music and give a clue of a possible new direction: R&B, Country, Pop, Soul and some Rock gems like SUSPICIOUS MINDS (that ironically would become his last #1 hit record) but after that, the choices (his choices) for single release clearly state that he would prefer "countrified mor" music over rock. And, too bad, his stage comeback was set in Las Vegas...

The exceptions: Patch it up (1970), Merry Christmas baby (1971), Burning Love (1972), I've got a thing about you baby (1974) and I've got a feeling n my body (with that nice soulful/R&B Groove - 1974) and Promised Land (1975).

24. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Any idea if the annual Black Friday Beat the Clock deals will occur this year? I can't find anything anywhere re this sale for this year.

25. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Top Ten on FTD ... is down to your choice of the decade ie,his vocal that you like,example.

GUITAR MAN is one of the greats when it come"s to the FTD label,to hear that acoustic feel in the songs on this set,show"s what he could do and with Chip Young and his old mate Jerry Reed,and with a great mix of song styles,you hear a different man,one who was bursting out after years of this silly soundtracks.

Here is a top 40 FTD,that have used votes from fan"s around the world,and for years the no1 FTD was JUNGLEROOM SESSIONS.

http://www.elvisnews.com/fanworld.aspx/top-lists/ftds#.VHJceECCNxA

Cousin It and Mr. H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.