Could someone help with my Scoutmaster?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rickchick, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my table. When I turn it on, the pulley/motor makes a kind of scraping sound. If I take the belt off, the sound goes away. I have tried oiling the motor, cleaning the belt, baby powdering the belt, and putting the belt in the freezer. Nothing has worked. Any ideas?

2. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

The pulley is not touching the platter? The set screws on the pulley are tight?

3. Rickchick

The pulley isn't touching the platter, and I just tried to tighten the screws, but they are as tight as I can get them.

4. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Might want to head over to the VPI web site, they have their own forum now. Harry and Matt are quite active there.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  5. Rickchick

I didn't know that and I'm friends with Mat! Thanks!

6. Rickchick

Fixed, thanks!

7. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

What was the issue?

Rickchick likes this.
  8. Rickchick

I'm not sure which of the things I did fixed it. It still made the noise, but I decided to play an lp. At the end of the side when I took it off, the noise was gone. I'd like to know what that was about too. It could have been cleaning the pulley and adding two drops of oil.

9. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

ok. A lot of discussion on this topic on the VPI forum with Matt and Harry contributing.

10. Rickchick

I joined that forum but can't remember my username, which leaves me kind of screwed.

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Are you sure it wasn't that the cartridge hook-up wires were dragging on the record surface? I experienced that problem, and a scrapping noise, with my Classic 2 one time. I thought I had a bearing/platter problem but couldn't see anything wrong. It turned out the cartridge wires were rubbing against the surface of the record, causing my noise.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oil helps.

13. Rickchick

I very carefully twist those wires so they don't land on the record, and yes, I think it was the drops of oil it needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.