Favorite Cartoon Of Your Youth

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's also interesting to look back at the uncut episodes of Jonny Quest and see how many deaths, gunshots, and explosions are in each episode. Generally there's a throwaway line that says, "I think you got him with that tranquilizer bullet, Race!"... never mind the fact that the guy who got shot plummeted about 40 feet to the ground below, unconscious. Later reruns cut this violence to ribbons, but the home video restored them all.

ky658 likes this.
  2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a copy of the first broadcast, "The Mystery Of The Lizard Men", it's a black and white ABC
    copy, but the animation for 1964 was top notch, its no wonder they never did another season until much later.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A piece of the color show is here:

ABC only aired the show in B&W, and they were the last network to go color in 1966 since they were always kind of an "also-ran" in this era. I think Hollywood Palace was color for awhile. Hanna-Barbera was smart enough after Ruff & Ready to do all their animated series (even syndicated) in color, knowing they would be around for a long time. But I think even then they had no idea people would still be watching The Flintstones 50+ years later. I think they figured 10-15 years, tops.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Man, you guy's got good memories, you're bringing up cartoons I saw as a kid I would not have remembered if it wasn't for this thread.

I probably have to put Johnny Quest at the top due to the outstanding work and strong plot lines, a fairly sophisticated cartoon for it's day. Top Cat, Secret Squirrel, The Jetsons, the old classics, too much to list.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Woody Woodpecker !!
    The original "eat or be eaten" ones not the much later toned down , politically correct ones.

halfjapanese likes this.
  6. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Supercar!

[​IMG]

7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

partial to the warner brothers line up of cartoons from the 50's & earlier. a somewhat distant cousin was an animator for them and we would watch the credits to see if the name was there or not.

8. Too many greats to pick just one
    My faves were:
    Rocky and Bullwinkle
    Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show)
    Flintstones
    Tennessee Tuxedo and Underdog
    Scooby Do
    Yogi Bear
    Top Cat
    Fat Albert
    The Jetsons

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Impossible to name just one - would be one of the following

The Jetsons
    Batfink
    Inch High Private Eye
    Kimba
    Hong Kong Fuey
    Scooby Doo
    Warner Bros Cartoons
    Flintstones
    Gigantor
    Valley Of The Dinosaurs
    Super Friends
    Space Ghost
    Top Cat
    Yogi Bear
    Funky Phantom

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Underdog comes to mind although I liked many others too.

paulewalnutz and Andrew like this.
  11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member Thread Starter

A Jonny Quest spot for P.F. Flyers (I never had those and always wondered about the "wedge" in the sole to make you "run faster and jump higher":

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not a cartoon show, but I agree, a great kid's show. "It travels in space... and under the sea... it can journey anywhere!"

Those were really cheap shows and don't hold up well. Howard Stern occasionally talks about how his father was the sound engineer on those shows, all recorded in NYC. I believe he said Don Adams recorded all 34 episodes for each season in about a week, and got paid a fairly huge sum (about half the budget of the entire series). I gotta say, they sometimes had a certain charm, but even when I was a kid, we knew the difference between the Total TV shows, Hanna-Barbera shows, and the classic Warner Bros. cartoons. I'd call them the "Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, and Mercedes" of cartoons.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Quite fond of The Mighty Heroes.
    Also the old Mighty Mouse stuff where they sing a lot.

14. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Remember Might Mouse in Krakatoa?

Krakatoa Katie
    She ain't no lady
    When she starts to shake her Sarong
    !

Now Katie's out in full array
    Mighty Mouse has saved the day
    For Katie, Katie
    Krakatoa Kate!

I think the best thing about the old Mighty Mouse cartoons was the music. The composer for all of the Terrytoons original music was Phillip Schieb. He also was the composer of "Theme From Mighty Mouse".

Gene Deitch (the guy who did the bizzare Tom & Jerry cartoons of the early 60s - still living) has a great write up about the guy on his web site.

Jimi Bat and Mister Charlie like this.
  15. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

One that I don't think has been mentioned:

The King Kong Show

... although beyond a terrific theme song it doesn't look too interesting now.

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Muppet Babies

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What a great show! Funny, creative, and unique. If they'd ever release it on DVD, I'd buy the whole series.

The Hud likes this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The Real Ghostbusters they got away with a lot.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember at the time watching it and thinking it seemed really lame and cheaply done.

20. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

The crew on The Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Show was awesome. Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam, Marvin Martian and the rest.
    The funniest was probably the seldom-used Blacque Jacque Shellacque (aahhh, zee crazy rabbeet, he don't know me too well!).

[​IMG]

EdgardV likes this.
  21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Snagglepuss -- My little brothers and I used to say, "exit stage left or exit stage right" all the time.

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Foghorn Leghorn - Everybodies favorite Rooster.

EdgardV likes this.
  23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Dishonest John - I loved his laugh, ya ah ah.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Nothing can beat Sylvester and Hippety Hopper

EdgardV likes this.
  25. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Rocky and Bullwinkle. I learned many years later about how the writers made it for the parents and the kids. Heck, it even ran in primetime! Lots of political humor in there at the height of the Cold War. Trivia questions for you all: Who was Boris and Natasha's boss? Who was HIS boss?

Also, there's another one that I don't think anybody mentioned yet....Astroboy. We lived about 45 miles from the main TV market so getting any stations to come in clearly was a chore. There was a UHF station that ran the early b/w Astroboy series and it was SO different from what was currently on network TV at the time. The fact that it faded in and out due to the distance made it almost magical to my 12 year mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.