OT Neil Young Biography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked up a new authorized Bio book on Young called "Shaky". I'm about 1/2 through it, it's a pretty massive undertaking (800+ pages) that appears to have taken about 10 years to research and put together. I Highly recommended it. What is unique about it is that the author was given access to Young complete circle of family, friends and associates and Young himself comments after each topic.
    Young is definitely one strange dude.

2. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

The Johnny Rogan bio has to be better, if this one is authorized.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the johnny rogan and this one is far more detailed.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just picked up the hardback for 8.00.a bit skimpy on Neil photos. Not read it yet, but it got great reviews'just wondering if their's a better book?

5. This book is my favourite rock biography about anyone.Telling that Neil tried hard to block publication.

dino77, bonus and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

Whats' Johnny Rogan's "Zero To Sixty"like?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I can see why he did - it is more about the giant ego of the author than it is about Neil. I REALLY dislike this bio - the guy spends half his time trying to tell Neil not to release albums which he feels are not true to the muse, albums I and many other fans like - he spends the other half trying to convince the reader they are crap.

teag and alexpop like this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's not really authorized; NY first gave the guy a lot of time and access to musicians and friends and then he sued the balls of Mr McDonough for being too truthful.

bonus and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Buffalo Springfield.
    What book to get ?

10. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Either you love it or you hate it. A very provocative book. And a great one.

dino77 and bonus like this.
  11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

John Einarson's is excellent, can't recall the title.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Ritchie Furay's?

13. alexpop

Book cover' Two small photos?

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

What a strange stub of a thread! Three little posts from 2002; the title of "Shakey" is misspelled; what the heck is "OT"? Then 13 years later alexpop spends "8.00" and the randomness resumes. I guess it reflects the weird quantum jumpiness of Neil himself.

"Shakey" is a strange, eccentric work by a semi-prosecutorial obsessive but it's the essential biography so far.

15. alexpop

If i started a NEW thread, some smart a would tell me there is already a thread on subject matter. Ya just can't win.
    Hey! Heck' beats the endless Beatles threads.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

The amount of detail in this book is staggering. It jumpstarted my obsession with tracking down unreleased Neil tunes. Absolutely essential reading for any Neil fan!

17. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

For What`s Worth - The Story of The Buffalo Springfield by John E and Ritchie F.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Starting reading "Shakey" earlier this week.

19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

It's funny how the mere threat of a lawsuit helped this book to see the light of day.

20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The only Neil Young bio I've read is his own Waging Heavy Peace which I really enjoyed (although I speed-read through the car talk because that stuff doesn't interest me). Is Shakey better or more objective?

21. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I actually preferred Special Deluxe to Waging Heavy Peace. By using the various cars he's owned through his life as themes, it really made it a much more cohesive work than Waging. That being said, I felt like I was more inside Neil's brain reading the confusing, rambling and random Waging.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

shakey is much better. just read it.

Folknik likes this.
  23. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Except for Shakey, anyone can help me track down segments where the Doors are mentioned in any of the above mentioned bios? Buffalo Springfield has shared some gigs with them in May, 1966 and also in Feb & May in 67 and I am eagerly curious if there's any detailed accounts about those nights. In Shakey Neil tells about their earliest gig together but it would be thrilling to read more about these events. Thanks in advance for any efforts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.