Which country/region produced the best vinyl pressing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by samn, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samn

samn New Member Thread Starter

I've heard and seen so many vinyl pressings came from various countries/regions such as EU, USA, Bulgaria, Malaysia, UK, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, etc. Which country/region produced the best vinyl pressing in your opinion?

2. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

When I was actively purchasing vinyl (late 60's to early 80's) Germany and UK had the best pressed vinyl ahead of Australia and USA (by far the noisiest).
    Did not purchase any Japanese vinyl so cannot comment on quality.

AlexDelarge likes this.
  3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Japanese pressings from the 1970s and 1980s stand out as the most consistently made in my experience. Especially the records made with JVC Super Vinyl, which have very minimal surface noise, and are rarely (if ever) warped or off-center.

Otherwise, I have encountered very nice pressings from many countries. Germany and Holland have consistently made high quality vinyl records. The UK as well, but perhaps not quite as consistently.

My favorite UK pressings were UK Decca, who managed to maintain the highest quality from the 1950s all the way through the late 1970s. UK Philips / Polydor at Walthamstow made outstanding records as well. Other UK companies (EMI, Pye, CBS) were less consistent, sometimes making records with more surface noise than ideal (try to find a clean playing UK Dark Side of the Moon, for example).

The US perhaps gets the award for the most inconsistent quality. Some US records from the 1950s pressed by outfits like Columbia, Capitol and RCA are outstanding in performance. Yet by the mid 1960s, those same companies' quality plummeted. And in the 1970s, US vinyl pressings really got spotty after the oil crises. Yet, even after that time there were bright spots. US made Quiex pressings are usually very high quality and have minimal surface noise and defects. And thene there are the US Monarch pressings, which have some surface noise and less consistent in quality, but for whatever reason play back with great and vibrant tone, to my ears.

edit: by the way, I am referring to pressing quality, not mastering quality, which is a whole different subject...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    DaleH, The FRiNgE, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

USSR
    Beatles were banned
    Enthusiasts pressed them with the plates used for X-Ray photography.
    Recycling only the Russians could provide.

samn and kevinsinnott like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Salina Kansas has been doing pretty good lately.

Satrus and DR.J like this.
  6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

One might need to write an entire book to explain this one completely and fairly, I'm afraid...

Recordfan likes this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

If we're looking for a broad generalization, I would pick Germany or Japan (pressing quality) and USA (mastering for American-sourced recordings) and UK (mastering for UK-sourced recordings), based on what I have in my collection.

Hope that helps.

Gavinyl, Shak Cohen and samn like this.
  8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Beatles were banned in Russia? Hmpf! I think the entire problem with the Kremlin was due to the fact, they didn't like the Beatles!

9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The problem with the cranky, ill tempered people in this world is that they don't like the Beatles! 9 out of 10, haha! Has anyone ever wondered if ISIS likes the Beatles? (the truth be known)

VinylRob likes this.
  10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

germany, holland, uk and japan

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Money (that's what I want)
    Can't buy me love
    Love is all you need

They'll never understand...:)

12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Best? That's open for debate. Worst? USSR. I've remastered many Russian albums in the past. Off-center, noisy, horrid mastering quality, you name it. But I think it's the record company more than the country, when it comes to quality pressings.

VinylRob likes this.
  13. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

I have only been buying new vinyl within the last year or so. But Germany seems to be the best IMO. I have bought quite a few records and got home, open them up and they would be warped beyond playability. Non-fill, smudges, fingerprints. Guess where they were pressed? The good old USA. Just about every record I have purchased where I open it up and take a look and Im like, wow. Thats perfect. Those have all been pressed in Germany.
    Dont even get me started on the carp quality Beatles Stereo Box Sets pressed at RainBlows pressing plant here in US.

14. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Chad's QRP IMHO will rival just about any pressing ever made. And I realize that is a very tall statement. Yet I have had or regularly listen to many of the best and I believe them to be that good. Made in the US of A.

15. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

It is hard to argue against that after watching this video segment on how they check test pressings at QRP (starting at the 13:45 mark) of "Acoustic Sounds Office Tour With Chad Kassem" by Steven Rochlin of EnjoyTheMusic.com .

16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The first few Quality Records pressings I got had off center labels. And, out of at least 35-40 QRP discs I've bought over the last few years I'd say 70 percent have edgewarps. (Music Matters, AP, etc.) I think QRP is decent, and surface noise is usually minimal, but in my experience, it's difficult for me to declare them a contender for all-time best. Hopefully they will continue to improve. I'm simply reporting my experience with QRP thus far, based on records in my collection they have pressed.

I think Pallas and Optimal currently make a more consistent product. And RTI is capable of great pressings, too. I was especially impressed by the pressing quality of the Beatles mono vinyl box pressed by Optimal. Records all flat, centered and having remarkably low surface noise.

Sean Sandoval likes this.
  17. samn

samn New Member Thread Starter

I did the same thing too.

18. Marek1000

Marek1000 New Member

ogbbv likes this.
  19. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

I can't see which is best, but they sure do seem to have 'a sound' for each.....all my experience is original 70's and 80's presses>

german- nice deep rich midrange, a slightly mellow top end, perhaps a larger bass. overall some of my fav. almost no IGdistortion
    UK- similar to german, but more top end and less bass. These tend to sound fantastic. I've got a lot of Harvest presses that I love
    netherlands - vertigo !!! some of the best presses ever
    USA - these tend to be hotter and more presence than any other country- and along with , tend to have IGDistortion
    japan - have the best visuals but these do not sound as good as the others in my rig. They tend to not have a deep midrange or adequate bass generally speaking. Still a japan press can sound great, but i prefer the others

20. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

If we're only referring to pressing quality then Japan offered the best vinyl going back to the early/mid 70's, followed by Germany, Holland/UK and then US. Things have obviously changed over the years so today, I'd give the nod to Germany (Pallas/Optimal), then US (QRP) followed by a handful of plants scattered throughout the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.