Lonely in the vinyl basement...and loving it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Licorice pizza, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line Thread Starter

With my interest again in vinyl the last two years, I've been gathering a hefty collection and steadily upgrading my stereo equipment.

I've noticed that when I spend several hours in the"vinyl basement" of my local record store, a lot of people, mostly teens, tend to walk in, suddenly stop dead in their tracks and say "Oops! Hey, dude (or girlfriend) this is all records, we're in the wrong part of the store." Then they gingerly walk back up giggling and pointing at me as if I was an idiot.

Funny thing is, I love it! Being alone never felt so good. More vinyl for me for pennies on the dollar, literally. I get the urge to proselytize and educate them about the beauty and dynamics of vinyl. But then I think, "For what?" My grandpa always told me that if you got a good thing going just 'shut up!' and enjoy. I've realized over the last few years that I tend to stumble upon boatloads of rare titles that aren't available on Cd or Mp3.

Any of you experience this while purchasing Lps? I'd love to hear your stories? Gotta get back to my latest find: Brick's debut album.

Rupe33 likes this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

What store are you referring to and why are you alone down there.

3. Licorice pizza

Are we allowed to name names on this forum?

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Of course.

5. Although I've kinda stopped going there as the owner never acquired a personality, and is actually a bit of a dick, there is a similar store in my neck of the woods like yours. Rarely are there more than 2 or 3 people down there, and I'm convinced most of the customers upstairs don't even know its there. Upstairs it's CD, new vinyl, Posters, books, etc. and downstairs it's 100% used vinyl.

6. Licorice pizza

Rasputin and Amoeba.

7. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Interesting because I see the opposite happening. The "kids" buying vinyl and ignoring CDs.

I price of LPs has doubled and CDs are cheap. I've bought some nice oop box sets for 15.00.

It's a good time for me since I like both media.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Those are the best kind of owners. They usually don't know the value of what they're trying to offload at next to nothing. I can totally tolerate them while I make out like a bandit.

9. If I were still in my early days of collecting I'm sure I'd still be going there on a regular basis, but I'm passed that and only really want to fill some holes. I've got other options...thankfully!

10. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

If it's the place on Kerr St. the LPs in the basement were over priced 10 years ago.

11. That's the place and yes they were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.