Frank Sinatra: "London" - New 3 CD/DVD Set Coming Dec. 9, 2014*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Sep 24, 2014.

1. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Very fascinating Paul! FSE would score major points in my book if they show our Frank in a more unpolished form. Plus this may open up the door for more session material in the future. We shall see!

2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's OK, but I am not overly thrilled with it.

bozburn likes this.
  5. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Note the high-pitched whine from 1'25'' to 1'39''. This is most probably the reason why this song has always been edited from Video and DVD Releases.

6. Vincent Terranova

Vincent Terranova Active Member

Always remember being invited to Sherrick apartment and watching Sinatra concerts on Beta/vhs. Also ,seeing the rare Sinatra in mexico lp as well as the Sinatra sings Harold Arlen, both on original Capitol vinyl releases. His attractive wife was outside changing a headlight on their car. I remember she was pround of the job she did. Oh what simple times life was in the 70s... hanging with Bobby at the store, I met Eileen Barton, Eddie Fisher, Jerry Vale, Arthur Schwartz and disc jockey son, Jimmy Breslin , Gene Sherico (sp ), etc...

wave and Simon A like this.
  7. Vincent Terranova

Whenever there is a delay in a Sinatra release, I get that ( not a gain feeling ) that I had waiting in King Karol record store in Times Square. The salesman had set up the Sinatra " Here's to the Ladies " poster debuting the lp release date. I was so exited about a new Album release. I was in front of the store as the doors open and ran inside ,only to find out that it was delayed. I went over to warner brothers with the lp matrix number and was told that it was cancelled. With Sinatra there is many yogisms attached. I'll believe it when it's in my hands..

wave, Simon A, bluesbro and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See —> this post about Here's to the Ladies. (That poster would be worth big $$$ today.)

That was before the days of the Internet, unboxing videos, sample clips, and worldwide marketing campaigns. There's no way they will miss the street date for this one. :) Three weeks to go...

9. wave

wave Forum Resident

I never cared for this 'Foggy Day' version when only the audio was floating around. But when the video popped up on youtube some years back, it was a revelation. There's just something about seeing Sinatra perform a song that makes Sinatra on video the gift that keeps giving...the gliding walk, the rhythmic torso, the sword-like arms, the carefree grin...his trademark pointing, his engaging of the orchestra, his flinging of the mic cord, his occasional introspective aloofness, his perfectly-tailored tux and, of course, his meticulously-manicured Nixon-era toupee. With so much 2015 discussion focusing on re-re-re-releases of Sinatra's studio output, I hope there's at least some chance more videos like the one above will also be made available.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Regarding that video from a few posts back:
    ???????? That's just the violin section in a high register, no? Possibly playing harmonics, as opposed to the 'straight' pitch. (See 3:07 in this video: ....if interested in the difference.)

Boy, the sound on that Sinatra video really stinks. (I assume an actual released product will sound better?)

12. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Matt, you are right - as always! The first show from 16 November 1970 has Sinatra also singing "A Foggy Day" with that Costa arrangement. What I described as a high-pitched whine can there easily be identified as the violin section in a high register.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

:laugh: That's SO not the case, but I appreciate the sentiment! :wave: That posted video was so tinny sounding it's amazing the whole thing doesn't sound like a squeal, or like this:

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe the song was removed from the original BBC telecast to make room for a commercial. Previous VHS and DVD releases simply presented the edited film as it was seen on British TV (sans commercials).

When discussing the sound quality, it should be remembered that this concert was filmed/recorded for a 1970 broadcast. I'm sure that audio perfection was not a goal.

15. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Bob, forgive me if I have read your post wrong, but I just wanted to point out that the BBC is a non commercial company.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No station breaks, or program interruptions of any kind, Tina? See this 2003 post at the SFF:
    —> Sinatra In Concert At The Royal Festival Hall (1970) DVD/VHS

17. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Simon A likes this.
  18. Vincent Terranova

I had sold the King Karol advertisement listing the Sinatra lp, years ago on Ebay. Oh well, it's in the hands of a another Sinatra collector, so all is well.

19. Vincent Terranova

The post about Sinatra in London, reminds me of a story that Arthur Schwartz personally told me inside Record Exchange ( 7th av/54st ,nyc ). He was about 89 y.o. about the time. I was in my late twenties. He had just come back from London, where a show was being developed using some of his tunes. Mr. Schwartz was working with a very young master control engineer at the time and the British engineer was touching up the audio on "Dancing in the Dark" melody. The young engineer ask Mr. Schwartz, " Did you write this". Schwartz replied, "Yes". The young British engineer said, " Good luck with the new tune ". ( we had a big laugh ). Couple days later , J. Schwartz retold his dad's story on the air on 1130am wnew. I got Mr. Schwartz's authograph that day and he wrote the first few bars of Dancing in the Dark on a King Karol bag for me. ( since sold to another great Sinatra collector in Maryland ).. I had ask him to sign my Sinatra 45 but he furiously refused and stated, " I admired his music but dislike that man, however I will sign the King Karol bag.. True story ( Sinatra had his son fired from Wnew earlier that week for debuting the Trilogy lp prior to Willie B. debut as arranged by the station. He had also used an unmastered tape , that the Watch engineer had secretly tape Sinatra singing from outside the studio in the hallway during playback.. All spilled milk now and I can't wait for this great box set..

20. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I need the price to drop quite a bit on this one. It's still at $60 -- and I didn't pay $40 for the other two. And those were 4 CDs/1 DVD. This is 3 CDs/1 DVD.

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

This price needs to drop. i can't imagine s lot of people rushing to get an extended version of the GB album

22. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

A good portion of sales will come from gift buying before the holidays. Gift givers rarely know what they are purchasing;if a potential buyer is on Amazon,this new piece shows up and if it fits the budget,boom,into the cart.Brick and mortar space will be limited-I would thing maybe 1/4 of the FYEs in the malls and maybe a few more at Barnes & Noble. No reason to give it away and Universal has no incentive to move masses of units and I don't think FSE is really bothered by competing with the world for a box of music under the tree.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Vincent Terranova

I'm sure Target will have a discounted price, that will be less the $60.00.

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm in at around $35

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That will be a used copy in about 3 years.