Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part One)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Except when Paul is singing about "Big Boys Bickering", "Give Ireland Back To The Irish", or "Looking For Changes". Or when he's changing the words of Nat King Coles classic "Christmas Song" to tell us not to eat turkey.

They "still do"? These days the people buying into that are few and far between (especially at this forum). No, these days it is clearly Paul who has exceeded John and George with a vengeance, in the minds of most fans.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But don't forget. Ringo is just waiting on the sidelines, waiting to pounce. Ringo's attempt at killing off Paul with that "mysterious" virus in Japan failed, but Ringo's next plot is surely underway. Mark my words: Ringo will be taking over the Beatles mantle any day now. He conned his way into the band back in 1962 and pretended to be the dopey one. But he's no fool. Just wait and see.

But Ringo does have one formidable foe: Yoko ....

;) Arnie

3. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

sorry to interrupt the discussion but thank you for the laugh today...I needed it.:laugh:

theMess likes this.
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I just see Paul's more nonsensical lyrics as being a marijuana inspired musical form of Dadaism. I prefer the whole song to have nonsense-ryhme lyrics than for a song to have just one line that doesn't make sense.

PhoffiFozz, supermd and Shak Cohen like this.
  5. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

I was listening to 'Back to the Egg' yesterday, and I was struck by how inane some of the lyrics are. "After the Ball," really? And "Million Miles Day-O" Really? Don't get me started on "Getting Closer." It seems to me that, on a lot of these songs, the "cod lyrics" (as the songs were being put together) just stuck ... never changed to something that he put a nanosecond of thought into. Happily this changed (somewhat) over time, but look at "The Note You Never Wrote" (the mayor of Baltimore is here!) and tons of others from the Wings era ... certainly profundity and "heaviosity" weren't needed (God forbid), but you'd think that at the very least he'd sense that something was wince-inducing. That spoiled a lot of Wings material for me, even if the songs were great in other ways.

Paul H likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Glad to assist. :tiphat:

Arnie

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Finally someone has understod this giant plot.

8. Arnold Grove

Are you in the cell next to mine? Straight-jacket too?

;) Arnie

9. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member Thread Starter

I think Paul sings "How many million miles, Deo" instead of Day-O, which gives the sentiment a little more weight I think.

theMess likes this.
  10. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Pete Best will survive Ringo and Paul a will ironically be the last surviving member of The Beatles. Then, he'll tour AS the Beatles! Mark my words.

Hep Alien and susyredstripe like this.
  11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I personally feel it's a remarkable testament to the human spirit how you're able to type your many posts with your tongue. :nyah:

Arnold Grove and theMess like this.
  12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

The "mayor of Baltimore" line -- I like it. Makes me think of the Beatles and their hundreds of meet-and-greet events with people they would rather not have met. Somehow gives the song a broader context.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

As much as I Try ,I can't think of rebuying Pipes of Peace ,While I warmed to London Town and McCartney 2 (I still don't like what he did to his voice on Coming Up) and will Buy Tug of War ,Pipes of Peace is really only one or
    too good tracks I know there are McCartney fans who like Press to Play ,but not me ,I don't care for Flowers in the Dirt either They should have done Wild Life next

14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

To me Wild Life sounds like recordings from a band that had yet to learn the songs; either that or they were just a really lousy band at the time. Pipes Of Peace is a well produced album even if the songs weren't that great. Wild Life would have been fine as a bootleg, but the fact that Paul thought it was a good idea to release that batch of recordings in the state they were in is mind-boggling...especially after the tight sound he had recently released on Ram.

Carlox and Paul H like this.
  15. PNeski@aol.com

Wild Life has a new fresh sound to it ,that's sounds natural to me ,even if its not Ram and he still has that "Beatle Voice" Pipes leaves me cold and has only a couple of songs I like ,none I love much Like Press it sounds to "80's" to me

Mazzy and RAJ717 like this.
  16. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Would you prefer "Dear Friend" over "Through Our Love"? One song sounds undercooked while the other overdone. I suppose it all comes down to one's preference. Personally, I don't like home demos for the same reason that I didn't like the songs on Wild Life...they sound like they're not fully realized. But that's just my preference and the reason why music is so cool to me. One man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa.

Carlox and theMess like this.
  17. PNeski@aol.com

"Though I love" is one of the two (yes Two) songs on Pipes of Peace I even Like , Wild Life has Love Is Strange ,Wild Life, and Some People never Know ,not to Mention Tomorrow and Dear Friend ,what does Pipes have "Though Our Love" + "Average Person" and ? what so bad??

18. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Well, Pipes of Peace has "Keep under Cover" and the title track.

And personally, I'd add "The Other Me" and "Sweetest Little Show" to the good stuff (and then I'll go and hide under a chair because I like "The Man" over "Say Say Say"). :hide: The rest I can leave by the roadside.

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Dear Friend is one of my all time fave McCartney songs, I think the vocal is full of emotion.

theMess, Tord, leeroy jenkins and 2 others like this.
  20. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member Thread Starter

You're not the only one! Cheesy as it is, I think The Man is the strongest of the three McCartney-Jackson collaborations!
    I played Pipes Of Peace last week and the only weak part of the album to me is having Hey Hey and Tug Of Peace, which are both filler tracks. But that's nitpicking. A bit like looking at the Mona Lisa or the Night Watch and trying to point out what you like least about the paintings.

21. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Agreed! I always wished there was a McCartney solo demo of this. Wishful thinking...

theMess likes this.
  22. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

That song is ok but it, like "Love Is Strange" drones on far too long.

supermd likes this.
  23. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

I'm not going to lie. I've been listening to Pipes of Peace a lot lately and, save for "Hey, Hey" and "Tug of Peace", I really do like the album. I like the lush production. I like the "of it's time" early 80's sound before all the drums went gated. I like that it sounds distinctly British to my ears. It feels like McCartney confidently making the album he wants to make. And, although the lyrics aren't McCartney's best, the melodies are quite satisfying.

And...

I like "So Bad". A lot. The melody, the bass playing, the harmonies, the string arrangement and especially the ARP lead synth motif that runs through out the song. I especially like when, in the commentary to the video, Paul softly laughs when he sees Linda wink at the camera. A nice little display of genuine affection as he remembers his departed wife.

24. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

The entrance of the orchestra is a gorgeous moment. It arrives slowly from nowhere...and it's great.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nice post. I'd just like to add that The Other Me (even though, as you say, not so great lyrically) is one of McCartney's finest eighties moments (he didn't have all that many).

Yorick and Ryan Lux like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.